Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Courses after Acceptance

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by Relz., 09.21.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Relz.

Relz.

Pre-Medical
    Hello all! I'm quite a ways away from possible acceptance letters (applying next summer for 2016 matriculation) but just for reference and help planning my schedule I thought I would ask. Most universities will be adding quite a few new required courses due to the MCAT change (biochem, sociology, stats, etc) and I was wondering if I could take these the summer I matriculate. For example, take biochem and sociology summer of 2016 with the course ending mid June. I know most schools state that they prereqs must be completed by matriculation but do you think it would hinder my chances of acceptance if I left these two until then?

Thanks in advance!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Afford

Afford

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Contact each school. I know some schools that I applied for required all prereq courses to be done by January of the matriculation year.

4. Relz.

Relz.

Pre-Medical
    Okay but even if they say it can be completed up until Aug 1. and I do that, do you think it would have a negative impact on my app?

5. 640936

640936 Internally driven

Pre-Medical
    I understand where you are coming from; I have had bad advising experience and I do most of my scheduling myself. Biochem I may have to take next semester or summer. I am honestly hoping to take it next semester so I can complete it before the MCAT. The other classes you have mentioned, I have taken. If you have the MCAT planned and no time for classes beforehand, what I would do is study the material on your own or have someone go over it with you (maybe an MCAT prep course?)

6. IslandStyle808

IslandStyle808 Akuma residency or bust! 2+ Year Member

Nope. There was one guy I remember that took a summer intro bio lab that I was a teaching intern for at my university. He matriculated the same summer into the university's medical school. Even if this is an anecdote, I still don't think taking a pre-req class after acceptance and before matriculation is a problem.

Relz. likes this.
  7. Relz.

Relz.

Pre-Medical
    Okay thanks everyone!!

About the ads