1. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
Hey, Guest, do you know how much will it cost you to apply to medical school? Check out SDN's Medical School Application Cost Calculator and plan your budget.

Courses after Acceptance

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Relz., Sep 21, 2014.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Relz.

Relz.

Jun 5, 2014
    The Great White North
    Hello all! I'm quite a ways away from possible acceptance letters (applying next summer for 2016 matriculation) but just for reference and help planning my schedule I thought I would ask. Most universities will be adding quite a few new required courses due to the MCAT change (biochem, sociology, stats, etc) and I was wondering if I could take these the summer I matriculate. For example, take biochem and sociology summer of 2016 with the course ending mid June. I know most schools state that they prereqs must be completed by matriculation but do you think it would hinder my chances of acceptance if I left these two until then?

Thanks in advance!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Afford

Afford 2+ Year Member

Jul 29, 2014
    Contact each school. I know some schools that I applied for required all prereq courses to be done by January of the matriculation year.

4. Relz.

Relz.

Jun 5, 2014
    The Great White North
    Okay but even if they say it can be completed up until Aug 1. and I do that, do you think it would have a negative impact on my app?

5. 640936

640936 Internally driven

Sep 17, 2014
    I understand where you are coming from; I have had bad advising experience and I do most of my scheduling myself. Biochem I may have to take next semester or summer. I am honestly hoping to take it next semester so I can complete it before the MCAT. The other classes you have mentioned, I have taken. If you have the MCAT planned and no time for classes beforehand, what I would do is study the material on your own or have someone go over it with you (maybe an MCAT prep course?)

6. IslandStyle808

IslandStyle808 Akuma residency or bust! 2+ Year Member

Aug 5, 2012
    Nope. There was one guy I remember that took a summer intro bio lab that I was a teaching intern for at my university. He matriculated the same summer into the university's medical school. Even if this is an anecdote, I still don't think taking a pre-req class after acceptance and before matriculation is a problem.

Relz. likes this.
  7. Relz.

Relz.

Jun 5, 2014
    The Great White North
    Okay thanks everyone!!