Courses- Biochem, Genetics, Microbiology, and research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hardworker101

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys
I am registered for biochem,genetics, microbiology, and 10 hr/week of research.
Do you think this is too much. I don't want to be board but I want to get A in all if possible. Is it better to replace one with ecnomics or something nonscience.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

arminshivazad said:
Guys
I am registered for biochem,genetics, microbiology, and 10 hr/week of research.
Do you think this is too much. I don't want to be board but I want to get A in all if possible. Is it better to replace one with ecnomics or something nonscience.

thanks

Well it probably depends on your school (and if you're taking survey or not), but genetics and biochem are both pretty time consuming, and adding another science to that might be a bit much. Also, how much lab time does each have?

I would think that you'll be busy enough, but if those are your only three classes you should do alright. I don't know about your university, but at A&M biochem 1 and genetics overlapped quite a bit IMO.

Members don't see this ad :)
...I hope you'll be okay.

Biochem, Genetics, Micro, and research? Nice knowing you... we'll talk to you again in May... you'll be the one sitting in a corner with your knees up to your chin, rocking back and forth.

That's a very heavy load. Probably manageable if you're not working other than the 10 hours of research. Depends on your school... most places Biochem and Genetics are both extremely challenging classes. In some places, Micro is difficult and some places it's more manageable. I'd check with someone who's had Micro - if Micro is also a killer course at your school, you might give some thought to giving yourself a break.

I certainly admire your courage, though. :laugh:

For the love of Pete. Take a frickin humanities or SS course, for crying out loud. There's more to life than just hard science. :rolleyes: I think that sometimes people forget that UG is about becoming well-rounded.

I could recommend courses in classic lit, history, and ethics. You might find out that you like something besides pre-med courses.

No offense intended, but people who load up on the science courses this way tend to become rather boring, in my experience. Try to take at least one off-the wall course per semester (or at least per year). (Note: that does NOT mean "puff course"...for instance, one of the hardest but most rewarding classes that I took was a course on ancient and medieval Italian poetry.)

Bottom line: branch out a little, while you still can. At the very least it'll give you something interesting to talk about at med school interviews.