1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Courses for final semester?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by closertofine, Dec 8, 2002.

1. closertofine

closertofine Emerging from hibernation
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Ok, I have only one semester left of college, and I only need 1 class to finish my majors. But I do have to go to school...and I need at least 12 hours to have a full course load. So I'm wondering what you guys think are good classes to take the last semester of senior year...I would like to prepare for med school, except I'm taking next year off to apply, so I think I might forget a lot by the time I'm actually in med school.

Here are some of my options: take a basic physics class to replace my AP credit (and to get ready for the MCAT-- I'm taking it in April)...maybe a physiology/behavior/psychology class...thesis research...but I really don't know what else, or if these are good choices. Maybe some upper level science course? (I don't know any science profs to get references from, so I need to get to know some probably!).

Also, since I'm taking the MCAT in spring, do you think I should just try to take the easiest class load possible, or would med schools look down on that? And should I really take a few things that might help me prepare for med school classes? Like Anatomy, etc.?

P.S. I do have several upper level science classes already, including genetics, biochem, evolutionary bio, physiology, microbiology, and cell bio...so I'm not sure what else would be good to take...

Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. lalalala

7+ Year Member

hi karen,

i suggest you take an upperlevel sciences classe/or thesis research and really get to know your profs, so you can get a stellar rec at the end of the semester. it seems like you have taken most of the classes that are helpful for the MCAT, so maybe you could take immunology or histology instead. other than that (and your major course) you want a light load b/c you will need to study ALOT for the april mcats. i took my mcats in august, and i dont think i could have handled them during the school year. so you want to really focus on your studying. med schools wont care, as long as you take a normal course load. i guess 4 or 5 classes? i had a lot of friends take the MCAT during April and they spread themselves too thin, and they were back taking it in August, and annoyed about it.... so study hard and try to take it once, you will be happier later for it!

best of luck!

4. closertofine

closertofine Emerging from hibernation
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    thanks, lalalala.... but seriously, 107 people have looked at this thread and only 1 replied? no one else has any ideas? just curious...I really need some advice to help decide about next semester.

:confused:

5. qweewq11

qweewq11 Smiley orgy organizer
    7+ Year Member

Next semester I am offering my very special Human Sexuality Hands-On Laboratory. Pre-requisites include being a female between the ages of 18 and 25 and being really hot. :D

6. jenni4476

jenni4476 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I saw a post somewhere on another forum where a girl said she'd taken "Greek and Latin as the Basis of the English Language" her last semester and was so grateful she did b/c then in med school she didn't have to spend time studying the terminology and could just move straight to the concepts and spend time on them. Just as a suggestion to pad up your schedule while being relatively low-stress and useful to boot.

7. Neuronix

Neuronix Total nerd
    Administrator Physician PhD Faculty SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    They're forcing you to take a full credit load even though you only need one class? That's pretty weak. If that was me (and it was me this semester), I would be working in a hospital or a lab full-time while taking that one class to finish. It would be a waste of time for you and your med school application to take a bunch of courses you don't need.

If you're really stuck there, try taking some classes that weren't required but might look good to adcoms. Medical ethics, history of medicine, higher level Biology or Biochemistry, etc...

8. JennaB4MD

JennaB4MD Member
    7+ Year Member

I know not too many folks enjoy biochem, but I thought that it was actually kinda helpful for the MCAT, and some medical schools let you pass out of it if you have taken it in college. Even if you can't get some credit for it, it will help you a lot in med school I'm sure. I'm also a big proponent of health policy classes. I took several and they were definitely brought up in my interviews, and I feel that I have a much better understanding of medicine having taken them.

But don't forget that it is your last semester of college, time you can never get back once it's gone. So make sure you have plenty of time for fun, too!:clap: