Courses for improving speaking skills…any Theatre/Broadcast majors out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oompa loompa

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

So I would really like to use my time before medical school to improve my speaking skills. I’m a pretty laconic person, not really by choice but because I have trouble elaborating my thoughts and arguments…I lose my train of thought easily, have trouble picking the best words, and I often have trouble enunciating properly. Unfortunately, I function as the listener most the time when I’m with friends, so it’s not like I get much practice in real life. Hopefully taking a class that emphasizes speaking will help me gain confidence.

I’m not in school anymore and trying to work part time, so I should have time for 2-3 courses. I was looking through the course catalog, and found these courses. I was an Engineering major in college, so I really have no clue about any of these departments. Tell me which you think would be best!

1.) Broadcast News: Radio and Audio reporting

2.) Broadcast News::Television Reporting

3.) Communications: Presentational speaking and small group communication

4.) Theatre: Fundamentals of Acting OR Fundamental Vocal Technique
--I’ve never been theatre person, so I have no idea what to expect. I think it’d be a fun way to practice my oral skills though :)

5.) Voice lessons: I’ve always wanted to sing! You think this would help with verbal skills at all?

I really really wish my local school offered a class on Improv. I think that would be the MOST beneficial for me because it forces you to think and respond quickly, creatively etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Have you considered toastmasters?

I'm not a theater major, but I've taken comm and dramatic art classes throughout my exploratory undergrad years. I think 3 and 4 sound like the best bet that will actually give you good practice. The others don't sound as directly applicable.

Also, since you say you're "trying to work part-time," maybe you can get a job that makes you practice your speaking? You know, youth counselor, PR, HR, Customer service, waiting, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you tried college radio? I was painfully shy when I graduated years ago and forced myself into a college radio station's DJ training program, ended up with my own radio show.. even if you're playing music most of the time you have to do a lot of talking, really scary at first but you get over it pretty quickly!

Thanks for the input! Yeah, I was leaning towards 3 and 4 as well. I had no idea Communications actually allowed you to practice your speaking skills. I thought it was more the theoretical study of telecommunications, journalism, societal networks etc.

I might just check toastmasters out, because it turns out there is a club in town. I had never heard of them before, so thanks! The people who attend the meetings seem so much older though...like business professionals

I *wish* I could work part-time at a PR job, but I don't think there are many opportunities for that where I live. Plus, my resume is basically only good for getting me research/lab positions. I've been told that I'm not even qualified to be a secretary because I have limited experience handling phone calls!

Angietron, I was about to mention the DJing thing too! I live in a college-town, so there are tons of opportunities to do that.

Rhetoric or public speaking. I know all the engineers here are required to take the public speaking class and they all say it helps a lot.

oompa loompa said:
I had no idea Communications actually allowed you to practice your speaking skills. I thought it was more the theoretical study of telecommunications, journalism, societal networks etc.

A lot of Comm classes are straight-up theory, but a class entitled "Presentational Speaking and Small Group Communication" sounds like it would involve some actual practice with the assignments/projects. You may want to double-check, though.