Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Courses for improving speaking skills…any Theatre/Broadcast majors out there?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by oompa loompa, Nov 30, 2005.

1. oompa loompa

oompa loompa Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Hey all,

So I would really like to use my time before medical school to improve my speaking skills. I’m a pretty laconic person, not really by choice but because I have trouble elaborating my thoughts and arguments…I lose my train of thought easily, have trouble picking the best words, and I often have trouble enunciating properly. Unfortunately, I function as the listener most the time when I’m with friends, so it’s not like I get much practice in real life. Hopefully taking a class that emphasizes speaking will help me gain confidence.

I’m not in school anymore and trying to work part time, so I should have time for 2-3 courses. I was looking through the course catalog, and found these courses. I was an Engineering major in college, so I really have no clue about any of these departments. Tell me which you think would be best!

1.) Broadcast News: Radio and Audio reporting

2.) Broadcast News::Television Reporting

3.) Communications: Presentational speaking and small group communication

4.) Theatre: Fundamentals of Acting OR Fundamental Vocal Technique
    --I’ve never been theatre person, so I have no idea what to expect. I think it’d be a fun way to practice my oral skills though :)

5.) Voice lessons: I’ve always wanted to sing! You think this would help with verbal skills at all?

I really really wish my local school offered a class on Improv. I think that would be the MOST beneficial for me because it forces you to think and respond quickly, creatively etc.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Flopotomist

Flopotomist I love the Chicago USPS
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Have you considered toastmasters?

4. NapeSpikes

NapeSpikes Believe, hon.
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm not a theater major, but I've taken comm and dramatic art classes throughout my exploratory undergrad years. I think 3 and 4 sound like the best bet that will actually give you good practice. The others don't sound as directly applicable.

Also, since you say you're "trying to work part-time," maybe you can get a job that makes you practice your speaking? You know, youth counselor, PR, HR, Customer service, waiting, etc.

5. angietron3000

angietron3000 *black magic soul power*
    10+ Year Member

Have you tried college radio? I was painfully shy when I graduated years ago and forced myself into a college radio station's DJ training program, ended up with my own radio show.. even if you're playing music most of the time you have to do a lot of talking, really scary at first but you get over it pretty quickly!

6. oompa loompa

oompa loompa Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Thanks for the input! Yeah, I was leaning towards 3 and 4 as well. I had no idea Communications actually allowed you to practice your speaking skills. I thought it was more the theoretical study of telecommunications, journalism, societal networks etc.

I might just check toastmasters out, because it turns out there is a club in town. I had never heard of them before, so thanks! The people who attend the meetings seem so much older though...like business professionals

I *wish* I could work part-time at a PR job, but I don't think there are many opportunities for that where I live. Plus, my resume is basically only good for getting me research/lab positions. I've been told that I'm not even qualified to be a secretary because I have limited experience handling phone calls!

Angietron, I was about to mention the DJing thing too! I live in a college-town, so there are tons of opportunities to do that.

7. novawildcat

novawildcat Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Rhetoric or public speaking. I know all the engineers here are required to take the public speaking class and they all say it helps a lot.

8. NapeSpikes

NapeSpikes Believe, hon.
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    A lot of Comm classes are straight-up theory, but a class entitled "Presentational Speaking and Small Group Communication" sounds like it would involve some actual practice with the assignments/projects. You may want to double-check, though.