Courses for MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hringrose

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
After completing the MCAT yesterday, did anyone find that any of their upper year courses helped? I mean anything above and beyond the four basic courses: bio, chem, org chem, and physics. I am considering taking physiology and anatomy to help in the biological science section in April 2003.

Thanks,

Heather

Members don't see this ad.

There was no physiology on my mcat. :mad: I don't think anatomy would help much with the mcat either.

I would have to disagree with lady bug. I think that upper level biology courses are extremely helpful in taking the MCAT, particularly the ones you mentioned. Also look into developmental biology, cell biology, and genetics. Maybe immunology and microbiology if you have time. Immunology is neat anyways, so just take it. :)

Don't bother with upper level chemistry or physics. Maybe biochem, but I wouldn't know about that.

Originally posted by hringrose
After completing the MCAT yesterday, did anyone find that any of their upper year courses helped? I mean anything above and beyond the four basic courses: bio, chem, org chem, and physics. I am considering taking physiology and anatomy to help in the biological science section in April 2003.

Thanks,

Heather

DEFINITELY TAKE UPPER LEVEL BIO COURSES........i had one passage on lac operon, and i did that in cell and molecular and didnt' find that passage too bad............also, i took physiology and it made an EKG passage easier........micro helped with viruses........its true you can do these passages without upper level courses, but it made doing the passages so much easier, cause the passage was not anything new.........i also had one about the endocrine, so physilogy again helped.......i took upper level chem classses and didn't find them that useful.......but upper bio definitely..........

nero

Members don't see this ad :)
Based on the form I had, the courses I have taken which were most helpful were:

Physiology (took it with Anatomy, but wasn't much anatomy on the MCAT)

Genetics

Microbiology (mostly for the genetics component covered in that course)

Biochem (helped slightly, ie for the fatty acid passage)

Organic chem (well, it would have helped if I could remember any of it during the test....)

Yeah. I had the lac operon beat into in Bio Chem II in the spring. I think the upper level courses refine your knowledge of the subject and teach you the subtle details that allow you to get it right for sure, not just probably. Peace.

upper div bio classes definitely helped me too--especially physio classes and biochemistry.