Courses in Undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skyreaper

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, I'm not sure if this topic has been previously discussed or not but I'll ask anyways (if this is indeed a repetitive thread, please post the link :laugh: )

To you students accepted to medical school, undergrad juniors, or undergrad seniors...what classes--specifically--do you think helped you the most with the MCAT's. Please do not post the general prereqs for medical school since they're obviously going to be taken. My current dilemma is that I have college orientation in a few weeks and I've been looking at the courses...but at a total loss on where to begin and what sciences I should or should not take. Your input would be greatly appeciated. Thanks in advance.

-Skyreaper

Members don't see this ad.

Not surprisingly, the required pre-med courses helped me the most on the MCAT. Besides that, I think Cell Biology & Genetics I/II was most helpful. You shouldn't be worried about that right now, though. Use your first year at college exploring everything and taking a wide variety of courses. If you're thinking about medicine, the only course you really should take this fall is Gen Chem I. Don't get stressed about the MCAT yet. There'll be plenty of time to stress about it later. Good luck.

Bones2008 said:
Not surprisingly, the required pre-med courses helped me the most on the MCAT. Besides that, I think Cell Biology & Genetics I/II was most helpful. You shouldn't be worried about that right now, though. Use your first year at college exploring everything and taking a wide variety of courses. If you're thinking about medicine, the only course you really should take this fall is Gen Chem I. Don't get stressed about the MCAT yet. There'll be plenty of time to stress about it later. Good luck.

i very strongly second the genetics suggestion. all the biochem-y questions are just ochem q's in disguise. cell bio - not sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
the core requirements. you really dont need anything else.
some people will recommend biochem and or genetics...and tho they may be helpful...but to take a semester of those or both just for a couple of questions that you could figure out by relying on the knowledge you learned in your core classes is kind of a waste.

but if you are a science major and planning to take those classes anyway...then good.

although i took biochem after i took the mcat, i think it really would have helped me a lot. it helped me understand organic chem a lot better than i had beforehand. i'd guess that a systems physiology class would be very helpful too. it will help with all those damn passages about the kidney!

In addition to the required pre-reqs, I recommend these, in descending order of usefulness:

1. Genetics
2. Physiology
3. Biochemistry

You are guaranteed to have genetics questions on the MCAT. Physiology helps understand the questions in the Bio section. Biochemistry rehashes many Ochem concepts in a manner consistent with the MCAT.

These three are not required, but if you're interested and have time, they'll help.