Courses on Healthcare System?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

raom_dtpi

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if any one has taken any courses relating to the current Healthcare system or Health care management etc.

Just like Med schools test our interest in science and familiarity with clinical medicine, I'd expect that they'd like to see how much we know about the current state of healthcare. How did you go about getting more "formal" information on this subject. Thanks so much!

Scout

Members don't see this ad.

I took a Health Law and Policy class through the Public Policy school at the University of Washington. It was really interesting, but I'm not sure if it impressed any adcoms. If you just want to become more knowledgable, read the papers and check out sources on the web. Two good ones that come to mind are:

The House Ways and Means Medicare Resource Kit: http://waysandmeans.house.gov/Links.asp?section=47

The UW bioethics site: http://eduserv.hscer.washington.edu/bioethics/topics/

Hope this helps!

I took a class called issues in health care as part of an allied health program. Some of the lectures were interesting, but I think I get more out of reading the paper. Does anyone know any good books to read in preparation for (hopefully) interviews?

Members don't see this ad :)
raom_dtpi said:
I was wondering if any one has taken any courses relating to the current Healthcare system or Health care management etc.

Just like Med schools test our interest in science and familiarity with clinical medicine, I'd expect that they'd like to see how much we know about the current state of healthcare. How did you go about getting more "formal" information on this subject. Thanks so much!

Scout

I took a class on Health Economics at my school. It was really good. We talked about the way our health care system was set up and compared to that of other countries. We also learned about tort law, medicare and medicaid, HMO's, attempts to reform our health care system, etc.

I took a class called US Health Care and Planning. We had to read the newest edition of Understanding Health Policy - A Clinical Approach by Bodenheimer and Grumbach. It was one of the most informative books I ever read on health care in the United States. I know that some medical schools use it as a text book. I also took a class titled The Anthropology of Medicine which was a very, very interesting class and really opened my eyes to the different cultural perspectives of medicine around the world and in this country.

Oh, BTW I took the Understanding Health Policy book with me on all my interviews.