courses other than prereqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Crookshanks

Juju
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
If I can only take one or two classes other than the prereqs prior to taking the MCAT, which would you recommend? Which one is most important?

(I'm not a science major)

~Julie

Members don't see this ad.

Physiology and genetics. I think physiology used to be more important but now it seems like genetics is

Yo Julie, hmmmm- I think biochemistry, human phys, and molecular genetics in that order are the most helpful for the MCAT. (Its really late, are you counting cell bio as a prereq, b/c if not, then that one is TOP O' THE LIST). Another class that IMHO will boost your MCAT physic sci score into the upper echelons is P-chem.

:luck::thumbup:

Thanks guys for replying. For the record, what I meant by "prereqs" was only BIO 1 & 2, CHM 1 & 2, O-CHM 1 & 2, PHY 1 & 2, and maybe Calc and Stats. So ya, anything other than that...

So basically Genetics or Cell Biology so far....?

Which is more important between the two of those?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Cell-bio mos def. That class will give you the most bang for your 'MCAT study buck'

Thanks.

So I take it I shouldn't take the MCAT before finishing O-Chem II, right?
It's best if you can take the MCAT after completing all the pre-reqs, but if you're still taking organic II while you study, that's fine. Also, in answer to your previous question, I would recommend genetics and/or biochem as well. Either micro or cell bio is a great course to take if you're interested, but neither is a major MCAT topic the way genetics and molecular bio are. Physiology might be a good third choice if you have the time; it seems that a lot of intro bio courses don't cover it very well.