Cover Letter for Federal Job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Klaus_Heisler

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do people think about submitting cover letters for federal jobs? All the listings I see indicate that they are optional, but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot for a job that I am very interested in.

For some context, I'm a current VA employee looking to move within the agency. (I'd ask colleagues but not quite ready to advertise that I'm looking elsewhere)

Members don't see this ad.

Seems very dubious if these ever make it out from HR to a hiring manager so I have a few generic drafts for different types of positions (BHIP, PCT, etc) and would just update the facility.

Now, if it’s a direct hire situation and you’re emailing a CV/cover letter to a chief or program manager, then I would make sure it’s very specifically tailored to that position.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
FWIW, I've seen people on selection committees express favorable opinions on submitting cover letters--basically, it shows effort and might set you above the others if they don't. I've always included them, myself.

Reactions: 2 users
I can’t attest specifically to federal jobs, but as someone who just went through a job searching process, I was sure to include “buzz words” from the job post/listing in my CV and cover letter if they reflected things I had experience in. Often times, candidates’ materials first go through a recruiter and/or hiring manager before they are seen by a psychologist. The recruiter won’t know what ERP is but if it’s in the job post and in a candidate’s materials, it’s probably heading in the right direction.

I’ve also heard of software scanning candidate materials for “buzz words” before the materials even get to the recruiter if there are a lot of applications. Not sure if this happens in psychology.

Reactions: 1 users