Cover letter to shadow DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fp02c

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I called a local DO for shadowing and spoke with his nurse who suggested writing a letter and attaching a resume so that he can read it when he comes back from vacation. I have been trying to write a cover letter expressing my interest in osteopathic medicine and requesting the opportunity to shadow him at his convenience. I just donw know how to start it. Has anybody here done something like this?? If so.. do you have any suggestions??

Members don't see this ad.

I called a local DO for shadowing and spoke with his nurse who suggested writing a letter and attaching a resume so that he can read it when he comes back from vacation. I have been trying to write a cover letter expressing my interest in osteopathic medicine and requesting the opportunity to shadow him at his convenience. I just donw know how to start it. Has anybody here done something like this?? If so.. do you have any suggestions??

Steal some material from your primary and secondary apps (unless copyrighted). Insert DO for MD and Osteopathic before physician. Explain why you think the philosophy (even if you don't believe there is a difference between allo and osteo) is applicable to real life and medicine.

I started mine off by saying who I was (a student with a B.S. in Biology and now doing post-bacc work, ect) and then what my goals were (to go to medical school). In the next paragraph I stated why I was interested in osteopathic medicine. Keep it short and simple.

Reactions: 1 user
i sent a letter to about 10 DOs and got a response from most of them. i just introduced mysef, gave a brief bio about where i go to school and some accomplishments, then told him/her why i nwated to shadow...if you want i can send it to you...just PM me or something

the end of the letter looked lilke this...

My goal this summer is to receive exposure to the osteopathic profession and learn about the osteopathic philosophy so that I can make a well-educated decision about the future of my medical career. I can provide letters or contacts for recommendations upon your request.
If you are willing to discuss the possibility of me job shadowing you throughout this summer and/or the possibility of employment, please contact me by email or cell phone listed above. I appreciate your time in considering my request, and I look forward to hearing from you soon.