COVID-19 and impact on school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
As for constitutional rights, the constitution states *Congress* will not impose sanctions against peaceful protest. Unless there are clarifications in specific state constitutions, these public health orders preventing assembly are perfectly legal.
Not to turn this into a constitutional law debate, but... "The incorporation doctrine is a constitutional doctrine through which the first ten amendments of the United States Constitution (known as the Bill of Rights) are made applicable to the states through the Due Process clause of the Fourteenth Amendment. Prior to the doctrine's (and the Fourteenth Amendment's) existence, the Bill of Rights applied only to the Federal Government and to federal court cases. States and state courts could choose to adopt similar laws, but were under no obligation to do so." – Incorporation Doctrine

Members don't see this ad.

@DVMDream just wanted to say 99% agree with your post. However from what I remember of my weird history lessons + random European tours the Spanish flu was named so not because Spain was the hardest hit, but because they appeared to be because they were one of the few countries reporting numbers accurately. They weren't involved in WW1 at the time whereas most other hard hit countries were artificially reducing the numbers of reported cases/deaths to "not seem weak" to their enemies. I really don't know why this information is stored in my brain but there you go.

• Haha
Reactions: 15 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As for constitutional rights, the constitution states *Congress* will not impose sanctions against peaceful protest. Unless there are clarifications in specific state constitutions, these public health orders preventing assembly are perfectly legal. If people really have an issue with it, they need to file a class action law suit against their state and let the courts determine if what the executive branch has pulled is legal or not.
Regardless, courts have held that there are limitations on your first amendment rights, generally based on public safety. You can't yell "fire" in a crowded theater, for example.

Reactions: 8 users
Hospitals have not been overwhelmed.
If you think hospitals haven't been overwhelmed, you should step foot inside a frozen truck doubled as a morgue in NYC.

My job is very specific to combatting Chinese lies and propaganda. They didn’t just eff up like it was some unfortunate accident. The Chinese government made deliberate and intentional decisions which were directly responsible for the death of tens of thousands. That is fact.

If you think hospitals haven't been overwhelmed, you should step foot inside a frozen truck doubled as a morgue in NYC.
Aside from NYC and that surrounding area, hospitals really haven’t been overwhelmed. But again, that’s the point! Literally the entire point which has been made abundantly clear since day one was that these measures were to prevent hospitals from becoming overwhelmed. Now people look at that and say “see? Wasn’t so bad! This was all for nothing.” Yea. Again. That’s the point. You WANT nothing to happen.

It’s nearly impossible to tell if there was an overreaction to this situation. Whether keeping everyone in doors 24/7 with only the ability to go out for groceries is the solution, or letting some other businesses open is okay, it’s tough to know for sure. But what we WILL know in the next year when we can look back and see how everything unfolded is whether or not we under-reacted. That will be abundantly clear.

btw this isn’t directed at you. Mainly at Cohen, and anyone else who tries to make the asinine argument that because measures are working they’re unnecessary.

Reactions: 16 users
My job is very specific to combatting Chinese lies and propaganda. They didn’t just eff up like it was some unfortunate accident. The Chinese government made deliberate and intentional decisions which were directly responsible for the death of tens of thousands. That is fact.
Okay great. Wonderful. However, there have been obvious failures on behalf of our government despite having delayed intel. We could have had measures in place all through the month of February and instead we did nothing. The whole world saw this coming. The US ignored it.

And regardless of whether or not the Chinese government acted improperly in the beginning of this, a lot of the US has a remarkable inability to separate a government from its people. Look at 9/11. Muslims descended from every middle eastern, North African, and south Asian country felt the discrimination and alienation on the part of American citizens despite the fact that a small number of people from a couple countries were the ones behind it.

Just because it may be factually correct that the Chinese government has a role in this being as bad as it is doesn’t mean it’s okay to label this virus after the entire country. People are stupid and attach country to race and to individuals. My girlfriend is Chinese and is terrified to walk down the street alone right now. She’s already been called obscenities by random people even before this started. It does us no good to decide we want to stick it to the Chinese government by naming a virus after them. In reality you’re sticking it to the Chinese people, who are innocent.

Reactions: 14 users
Not to turn this into a constitutional law debate, but... "The incorporation doctrine is a constitutional doctrine through which the first ten amendments of the United States Constitution (known as the Bill of Rights) are made applicable to the states through the Due Process clause of the Fourteenth Amendment. Prior to the doctrine's (and the Fourteenth Amendment's) existence, the Bill of Rights applied only to the Federal Government and to federal court cases. States and state courts could choose to adopt similar laws, but were under no obligation to do so." – Incorporation Doctrine

Okay, cool, learned something new today. But wouldn't this then still apply to state congresses then, and not the executive branch since the first amendment specifically states' *Congress*? That's what I meant by, "unless theres something in state constitutions".

Talking to my parents whi feel as you do (specifically moreso my mom), it looks like a 1905 small pox case from Massachusetts is our best example to compare. Man didnt want a mandatory smallpox vaccine. Court told him that they have to consider the health and liberty of those around an individual as well as the individual. With literally 50% of our population being a part of risk factor groups, I'd say theres a pretty good argument for prevention of further poorly organized protests. Again, had the protests been actually organized and less conspiracy based, if feel like there would have been a lot less push back on the protests.

Regardless, courts have held that there are limitations on your first amendment rights, generally based on public safety. You can't yell "fire" in a crowded theater, for example.

Theres this too! Or bomb on a plane. Falsely accusing someone of a crime. Etc.

I dont think many, if any, of us have commented on how we feel about this. But Minner made a good points of stupid people are stupid, and calling it the Chinese or wuhan virus has lead to stupid people stabbing innocent people. Sure, people shouldn't stab people and should be held responsible for their actions. But, we should also as a society anticipate stupid people and prepare to mitigate it as much as possible.

Reactions: 1 user
Cool story, bro. But the Chinese government =/= the Chinese people as a whole, or especially Americans of Chinese descent. You know this, I’m sure, just as much as we all do; however, people are fickle and will attach onto any seemingly reasonable scapegoat to pin blame when they are desperate, and there have been attacks on and harassment toward Asian Americans (or anyone who looks Asian) over the course of this pandemic when they’re innocent in the matter.

You could argue that dumb, racist people are just going to be dumb and racist, which is fair enough, but when the POTUS himself—someone in a position of enormous power and respect—has even called it “Wuhan Virus“ or “Chinese Virus”, it emboldens them to do the same and propagates the harmful narrative that the Chinese people themselves are somehow at fault for this mess, when that’s not true.

Reactions: 18 users
  1. Take a look at the US daily cumulative totals on the COVID Tracking Project (US Historical Data), specifically the total positive cases out of the total number of tests. When increased testing is accounted for, positive cases reached a peak in mid-April and has been trending down ever since. The whole point of flattening the curve was to avoid overwhelming our medical capacity. Hospitals have not been overwhelmed. In fact, Army Corps field hospitals designed to manage overflow haven’t treated a single patient (), and the USS Comfort left NYC after treating 176 patients in 3 weeks (The 500-bed US Navy hospital ship Comfort is leaving NYC after treating just 179 patients in 3 weeks). The CDC had an existing protocol for test development during pandemics, and the US did not “refuse” tests from the WHO (Did US 'Refuse' COVID-19 Testing Kits from the World Health Organization?).
  2. You’re right, police aren’t literally welding our doors shut to prevent us from leaving (Sealed in: Chinese trapped at home by coronavirus feel the strain). But businesses are being forced to lock up under penalty of fine and imprisonment. The mayor of LA threatened to shut off utilities to non-compliant “non-essential” businesses. Protests are being "banned" in New York (De Blasio, NYPD commissioner: No protests allowed in NYC). Our constitutional rights are being violated, and more and more Americans are getting fed up.
  3. Lyme disease, Ebola, Zika, West Nile Virus, Middle East Respiratory Syndrome, etc. etc. Toponymic naming of diseases is not a new concept. Should we rename all of these diseases to be politically correct? Call it COVID if you want, but don’t call anyone racist simply for using a term the media and governments used for weeks. Media Called Coronavirus "Wuhan" Or "Chinese Coronavirus" Dozens Of Times
  4. Thanks
  5. I don’t think nursing home residents live in a bubble, but employees at nursing homes are already working. They’re “essential”. That won’t change if the rest of the economy opens. Part of the reason the outbreak at nursing homes is so high is because governors are forcing them to take COVID-positive patients (At a NY nursing home forced to take COVID-19 patients, 24 residents have died).
  6. What an absurd accusation. Suggesting that people be allowed to provide for their families is not being “cavalier with other peoples’ lives”. Do you consider medical workers, grocery store clerks, and nursing home employees to be worthy of sacrifice? Because allowing them to work certainly increases their risk. The answer is no because that's ridiculous. I think forcing businesses to remain closed is being cavalier with peoples’ livelihoods. Realize that after this is over, many businesses will not reopen, which means many people will be jobless. Unemployment is now at 15% (Record 20.5 million American jobs lost in April. Unemployment rate soars to 14.7%). That’s Great Depression level. How many people will die from poverty? From suicide (Mental Health an Emerging Crisis of COVID Pandemic)? From drug addiction ('Deaths of despair': Coronavirus pandemic could push suicide, drug deaths as high as 150k, study says)? How many will die from not getting their banned “elective” medical procedures (Elective doesn't mean non-essential. Skip sweeping coronavirus bans, let doctors decide.)? Flattening the curve does not change the area under it. This virus will still spread. It’s just a matter of how much economic devastation we allow to come with it.
  7. I’m sure many elderly people live with younger family members. Is anyone in the household going to the grocery store? To the pharmacy? To the gas station? If so, they’re being exposed. People are already taking precautions, wearing masks and gloves, using hand sanitizer, and socially distancing.
  8. This virus is never going to disappear. There will always be an added risk unless an effective vaccine is developed, which is no guarantee. Keeping the entire country shut down indefinitely and printing trillions in cash to send $2500 checks to some people is not a solution. It inflates the currency. That didn’t work out so well for the Weimar Republic. Don’t be surprised when prices become significantly higher.
  9. Public policy is multifactorial. The choice is not between keeping everyone locked at home vs. completely reversing to life as usual and “letting grandma die”. I encourage you to read this editorial about the impact this lockdown is having on our country. Opinion | The Economic Lockdown Catastrophe

You’re welcome to disagree with me, but please don’t accuse me of wanting to “sacrifice” people for my own benefit. It’s a lazy argument, and it’s untrue. And in no way am I criticizing our school's administration. Davis has done a great job in terms of communicating with us, providing several different options to accommodate the alterations in our clinical schedule, and setting up virtual rotations. They don't want to risk defying a government order, which is understandable. I'm criticizing the heavy handed responses of local and state governments, as well as the incompetence and reckless monetary policies being employed by the federal government.

1. NPR isn't a reliable source of information. I shouldn't need to tell you this but you using it as one explains so, so much. We have barely moved over the peak for maximum cases. Barely. Not to mention, we still don't have adequate testing so no one can make any claims to how many people are actually positive. I know many who've had every symptom but have been refused a test.

2. You aren't being oppressed. Your liberty ends where you risk another human beings life. I'm damn glad somewhere is not allowing protests.. showing up with assault rifles, spitting in the cops' faces, the protests have been nothing short of damn shows off terrorism. Every damn one of them that couldn't show up, wearing a mask, staying 6 feet apart, and calmly discuss about job loss should've been arrested. I've yet to see one protest that actually abided by the laws of peaceful protesting. It is written into the constitution that yes, the government can do what they're doing. Your right aren't being violated, you've just not lived during a time this part of the constitution needed to be implemented. No other country in the world is bitching about stay at home orders. They care about their fellow citizens. And, yes, their economies are also taking a hit. When can I execute my right to self defense against these protesters? They pose a direct threat to myself and my family. It is my right to protect myself.

3. Yes the hospitals have been overwhelmed. I'm friends with human doctors, they're struggling. Quit reading the news and talk to doctors in New York, New Jersey, Washington or California. It is bad. Constant codes. Constant pages for a new person needing a ventilator. It has been awful. Yes you're right, many other hospitals haven't been overwhelmed, but that was the whole damn point. They aren't overwhelmed because we did the stay home orders not in spite of them. This is like the most basic damn concept not sure why you can't comprehend it.

4. Cool, we've named viruses from locations in the past. Yes, we all realize that. We didn't have a president back then who actively encourages terrorism and racist attacks. I have friends of Asian decent who can't even ****ing go to the store without being called horrible names. They're scared. Besides, the fact that the virus has a different name. The ONLY reason one would insist on calling it the Wuhan virus or Chinese virus is if their a racist. Period. There's legitimately no other reason to refuse to call it by what I was named.

5. You're missing the point. If things open that nurse is at an exponential increase of coming in contact with others who have been mingling out and about. It increases the chances the nurse brings the virus into the nursing home. Again, you don't seem to comprehend basic things. I can't explain it to you any simpler.

6. Yes, we've treated essential workers like crap. I'm not going to disagree there. There should've been numerous protections put into action for them that weren't. It was handled horribly. Yes, it sucks to lose your livelihood. My parents lost everything a few years back and were diagnosed with serious life threatening conditions on top of that. It was insanely difficult. I do get it. But please point to the time in history where the economy took a hit and didn't recover. You can't reopen your business if you're dead. If your business reopens too quickly and a bunch of your employees get sick, some end up on ventilators and some die, well your business won't reopen either. You won't have the staff to operate it. The virus is currently killing more people every day than heart disease, cancer, accidents, suicides, etc. It is the leading cause of death in the US today. You want the economy to really tank....open quickly without precautions the body count and medical bills will cause a greater strain than this is. Also saying people are being cautious is hysterical. A damn security guard was shot and killed because someone didn't want to follow the rules and wear a mask. People are proving we aren't anywhere near ready to open since they can't simply wear a damn mask without bitching that they're "being oppressed".

7. Yes going to the store is a risk. But one individual going to the store, buying enough for 2-3 weeks and coming straight back home is less risk than every individual going to work, then the store, then gas station because they're driving more now. And well, crap forgot to bring lunch I'll just eat out, etc etc. Again, this is the basic idea of more people leaving, going to more places = increased risk compared to one person leaving to do one thing. I don't understand why this concept is difficult to grasp.

8. Again, no one ever has said to shut things down indefinitely. Why is this complicated to ascertain? They're asking people to wait until curve has flattened for a period of time then slowly reopen with appropriate testing and tracing. We don't have appropriate testing. Why aren't you upset about that? Why aren't you upset that those could have been much better if the US handled it back in January when we were first warned about it? Huh? We could've saved thousands of lives and jobs. Prices have been increasing since the invention of money. I'm never shocked that they increase every year. And helping citizens monetarily during a crisis is exactly what a government is for. We pay them to keep us safe and provide for us as a whole. The US is actually falling behind the help it has provided us compared to every other industrialized nation and even some non industrialized nations. Oh and a vaccine has been developed and given to the first few test people. If it goes well, it'll be available around this time next year. No I'm not suggesting we stay closed until then, I'm just pointing out a vaccine is likely.

9. Yes, we've been saying this all along. That things should open at an appropriate time with the proper precautions in place. We don't have those precautions. Want to open sooner....demand those precautions be met. No one anywhere has said that the ebony isn't taking a hit, we see it. We get it. No one anywhere has said everyone stay inside forever. We're saying if this isn't done right, the economy will see a second, likely larger hit in a couple months due to dead bodies and too many medical bills because we still can't be sick in America without going bankrupt.

Sorry but anyone arguing things to be normal right now without being angry that we don't have the tools to do so, doesn't care if others get sick. Anyone who thinks our current responses are heavy handed doesn't comprehend that we've done very minimal to put a stop to this compared to other countries. They don't get that really, every member of our government who ignored the warnings in January are guilty of thousands upon thousands of negligent homicide. We could've been on an upswing from this had things been handled in a strict shut down with testing, contact tracing and quarantine from January. We could've prevented so much loss of life, jobs and possibly not had as extreme of a hit on the economy. But no, they're mad that they can't get their nails did out their hair cut or sit in a restaurant. The loudest complainers aren't those that lost jobs, it is the entitled group that wants a damn hair cut.

• Love
Please ignore the typos was on my phone and it kept auto populating bizarre words. I'm surpised there aren't more typos.
Lol ish ok. This ain’t the NYT or anything. My posts are usually stream of consciousness. Can’t tell where one sentence ends or begins. And autocorrect makes it extra exciting. Literally couldn’t give two ****s.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For the sake of evaluating new developments in this pandemic, and fact checking sources posted on this thread:

Attachments

• Reliable News.jpg
    Reliable News.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 108
Reactions: 1 users
Cool story, bro. But the Chinese government =/= the Chinese people as a whole, or especially Americans of Chinese descent. You know this, I’m sure, just as much as we all do; however, people are fickle and will attach onto any seemingly reasonable scapegoat to pin blame when they are desperate, and there have been attacks on and harassment toward Asian Americans (or anyone who looks Asian) over the course of this pandemic when they’re innocent in the matter.

You could argue that dumb, racist people are just going to be dumb and racist, which is fair enough, but when the POTUS himself—someone in a position of enormous power and respect—has even called it “Wuhan Virus“ or “Chinese Virus”, it emboldens them to do the same and propagates the harmful narrative that the Chinese people themselves are somehow at fault for this mess, when that’s not true.

I never said this had anything to do with Chinese Americans. The world is a dangerous place. America has enemies. China is an enemy to the United States and our allies.

Americans are going to have to be mature enough to have two ideas at once. China is an evil force in the world and it has nothing to do with Chinese Americans. Period.

Americans are going to have to be mature enlightened to have two ideas at once. China is an evil force in the world and it has nothing to do with Chinese Americans. Period.
Great thinking, especially for a country that threw Japanese Americans (who have nothing to do with Japan) into actual concentration camps during WW2.

Reactions: 12 users
I never said this had anything to do with Chinese Americans. The world is a dangerous place. America has enemies. China is an enemy to the United States and our allies.

Americans are going to have to be mature enough to have two ideas at once. China is an evil force in the world and it has nothing to do with Chinese Americans. Period.
It also has nothing to do with Chinese citizens, period. The Chinese government is corrupt, that’s not a secret. But you have been making blanket statements and applying them to everyone in China. That IS racist. Say all you want about the Chinese government, not its citizens.

It also has nothing to do with Chinese citizens, period. The Chinese government is corrupt, that’s not a secret. But you have been making blanket statements and applying them to everyone in China. That IS racist. Say all you want about the Chinese government, not its citizens.

Using the word “Chinese” is not racist. Just like saying Canadians in reference to the nation of Canada is not racist. And calling everything racist as a cudgel has caused that word to have no meaning and done a disservice to actual victims of racism

• Dislike
Great thinking, especially for a country that threw Japanese Americans (who have nothing to do with Japan) into actual concentration camps during WW2.

False. Words have meaning. Internment camps not concentration. Still bad. No genocide.

• Dislike
  • Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 4 users
False. Words have meaning. Internment camps not concentration. Still bad. No genocide.
You’re thinking of death camps. Not concentration camps. Having had relatives and family friends concentrated and killed in both, I’m extremely familiar with the difference.

The term can also be applied to what the U.S. is doing to refugees from South and Central America, in addition to imprisonment of Japanese Americans in the U.S. during WWII and the more common association with Nazi death camps.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200509-103743.jpg
    Screenshot_20200509-103743.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 75
Using the word “Chinese” is not racist. Just like saying Canadians in reference to the nation of Canada is not racist. And calling everything racist as a cudgel has caused that word to have no meaning and done a disservice to actual victims of racism
While referring to SARS-CoV-2 as the "Chinese virus" may (arguably) in itself not be racist, it can and does potentially inspire racist acts by others. Particularly when someone in power, i.e. the POTUS, uses that terminology and therefore makes it appear as if it is okay for them to do the same. This then translates into a few very disgruntled individuals taking it too far and actually going so far as to harass and act out toward anyone who is or even so much as appears to be of Asian descent (because, let's be real, it's not just Chinese Americans dealing with this right now). It shouldn't be encouraged or enabled. That was the point of my previous post.

Not to mention that, you know, the virus is... just.... factually, objectively NOT called the "Chinese virus", "China Virus", "Wuhan Virus", or any variant thereof. The virus is SARS-CoV-2; the illness it causes is COVID-19. As people involved in science and the health professions, we ought to be using the correct names.

I fail to see how people actually attacking Asian Americans somehow isn't considered racism.

Reactions: 13 users
You do realize they were referred to as internment camps more commonly just so America could pretend they were some how better than Germany right.

Reactions: 9 users
Ya’ll might just have to agree to disagree here. There doesn’t seem to be much of an end to this argument and your probably not going to change each others minds. Just sayin’

Reactions: 13 users
I agree with @mmmdreamerz . I don't really want to hear more about @AuburnVet 's job, whether this is constitutional, etc., and that level of political anger belongs in the Lounge imo.

This is a thread about how veterinary education has been impacted. It's supposed to be a way for us to share information and be helpful to each other.

I probably shouldn't have said anything yesterday, but I put up with this a lot from my parents and it is really stressful, so I kinda lost it for a second.

Last edited:
Ya’ll might just have to agree to disagree here. There doesn’t seem to be much of an end to this argument and your probably not going to change each others minds. Just sayin’
And set aside my outrage?! :rage: :punch:

How else am I supposed to get rid of my pent up rage now that I'm driving less and can't yell at other drivers when I'm alone in my car if I don't have internet arguments? :( :p

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
And set aside my outrage?! :rage: :punch:

How else am I supposed to get rid of my pent up rage now that I'm driving less and can't yell at other drivers when I'm alone in my car if I don't have internet arguments? :( :p
Just yell "Someone on the internet is WRONG!!!!!!!" +pissed+

It's been helping me a lot so far lol

I'm sure Mr. Cheese will be very sympathetic if you give him chin scratches

Reactions: 6 users
You can always join me over on APVMA! :rolleyes:

I haven't gotten into a scrap with anyone on APVMA recently, but I did notice that the "advisor" lady who I argued with last year when she tried to tell me that dual DVM/PhD programs were only 5 years total and got banned seems to be back...

I haven't gotten into a scrap with anyone on APVMA recently, but I did notice that the "advisor" lady who I argued with last year when she tried to tell me that dual DVM/PhD programs were only 5 years total and got banned seems to be back...
Unfortunately she is..... I think that there was admin turnover for the page and they didn’t deny her this time because they didn’t know....

Unfortunately she is..... I think that there was admin turnover for the page and they didn’t deny her this time because they didn’t know....
If this is who I think it is... what's worse is that I'm pretty sure that she actually has two accounts now and she uses both to post on APVMA.

Reactions: 5 users
i'm sorry but "ACTUALLY, they weren't REAL concentration camps" being for real trotted out in this discussion has caused my brain to actively begin malfunctioning as some kind of defense mechanism and now shapes are sounds and colors are tastes

• Haha
Reactions: 18 users
i hear triangle, and it tastes green
When I was in a cappella in undergrad, the musical director of my group had synesthesia and perfect pitch. When he heard a note he would see a landscape of a certain color. So he would arrange music according to what looked good to him. You could hold up an object to him, tell him to sing it, and he immediately could.

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
When I was in a cappella in undergrad, the musical director of my group had synesthesia and perfect pitch. When he heard a note he would see a landscape of a certain color. So he would arrange music according to what looked good to him. You could hold up an object to him, tell him to sing it, and he immediately could.
In case anyone is bored and needs a book to read

As the past music director of an acappella group, this sounds like an amazing way to derail a practice :laugh:

Yeah. Shes back. I will say that shes a bit more guarded with what she says. Though she caused a stir about a month or so ago.

The discussion I had was also with an "advisor", who ironically also brought up that many advisors have incorrect info.

I have synesthesia too! :) Not sure if I have perfect pitch but I am a good speller because of it lol

Reactions: 5 users
In case anyone is bored and needs a book to read

As the past music director of an acappella group, this sounds like an amazing way to derail a practice :laugh:
It was usually what people would do when they first found out. I found at at a diner after rehearsal and I had a monte cristo that came with a pickle and so I had basically every color in front of me to test. I just remember saying “sing this pickle” and he went “doooooooo” on a single note without skipping a beat. It was hilarious.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
“With the same trademark compassion and erudition he brought to The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat...”

Down the rabbit hole of weird books we go...
Both of these books are awesome! Oliver Sacks is a very compelling chronicler of the interesting and frustrating aspects of his neurology patients and I was sad when he passed about five years ago

Reactions: 3 users
IBM World Community Grid (WCG), in partnership with Scripps Research Institute, just launched their OpenPandemics - COVID19 distributed computing project.

I'm maintaining a thread in the Lounge with more background information and answers to questions I commonly hear or read:

If you own a computer (I assume most people do?), please join the fight! It's "set it and forget it" -- in other words other than a few minutes to download/install, all work is done by the CPU and not by you, and no technical or scientific knowledge is necessary.

In addition to OpenPandemics, there are also two other major distributed computing projects that tackle this virus (in different ways): Rosetta@home (David Baker lab at University of Washington) and Folding@home (in conjunction with several PIs around the country...WashU, Memorial Sloan Kettering, Temple, and maybe others).

I assume most people do?

I feel like this isn't quite true anymore (I could be wrong, this is just my speculation). Many people have transitioned into only using tablets, some even only use their cell phones.

I've found that if someone doesn't have a pretty specific reason to have a computer (e.g. gaming, photo/video/media editing), they use fairly low key stuff for web browsing/app use, such as a tablet, chromebook, or cheap laptop that may or may not have the capacity to do what you describe here.

I have a gaming pc myself and am happy to take part.

IBM World Community Grid (WCG), in partnership with Scripps Research Institute, just launched their OpenPandemics - COVID19 distributed computing project.

I'm maintaining a thread in the Lounge with more background information and answers to questions I commonly hear or read:

If you own a computer (I assume most people do?), please join the fight! It's "set it and forget it" -- in other words other than a few minutes to download/install, all work is done by the CPU and not by you, and no technical or scientific knowledge is necessary.

In addition to OpenPandemics, there are also two other major distributed computing projects that tackle this virus (in different ways): Rosetta@home (David Baker lab at University of Washington) and Folding@home (in conjunction with several PIs around the country...WashU, Memorial Sloan Kettering, Temple, and maybe others).
This is cool. I've already got folding@home running on my home machine, so I'll definitely have to add this onto it when I get off work.

• Love
I feel like this isn't quite true anymore (I could be wrong, this is just my speculation). Many people have transitioned into only using tablets, some even only use their cell phones.

I've found that if someone doesn't have a pretty specific reason to have a computer (e.g. gaming, photo/video/media editing), they use fairly low key stuff for web browsing/app use, such as a tablet, chromebook, or cheap laptop that may or may not have the capacity to do what you describe here.

I thought this too. My fiance and his bestie each have a gaming PC, but they aren't set up. My parents and grandparents still have their PCs due to having to keep records from the family business x number of years. Otherwise those computers get used maybe once a month to print something out. My computer is actually technically a surface tablet I just treat like a computer.

Ooh yay, I know they've been saying "soon" for a while now. I'll have to update my settings when I get home.

Agreed. There's definitely a trend away from the traditional personal computing model towards mobility and portability. I should've qualified that statement to make it clear I meant for most pre-professional and professional students (the audience here basically) who still need a Windows or macOS device for basic student use cases. More details in my Lounge thread -- people should expect more heat output, and I go into some details on not worrying about heat wrt longevity and what's acceptable and suggest running at 50% or so if running on a laptop or tablet or whatever.

Re: tablets, there's an ongoing discussion on GitHub about an architectural change, which may open up the door for BOINC to run on iPhones and iPads.

Anyways, thanks for helping out! People with desktops (especially enthusiasts) are ideal for projects like this.

I really hope that between the 3 projects and the amount of attention and brainpower thrown at this cause that this leads to a new drug therapy and/or vaccine instead of merely some PI's publications or some grad student's PhD. Normally these projects take at least a year or so before something is published or results are looked at...I feel like the general public are more anxious about solutions.

Wish it weren't spring/summer right now as this added heat is a small hindrance and needs to be removed by air conditioning.

Edited to Add: I didn't wanna detract from the main point of getting the word out (on the project launch), but fortunately this project is also available for Android devices (phones, tablets, TV boxes, etc.) as well as Linux ARM like Raspberry Pi (which can be as cheap as $35). Apparently this also runs on Nintendo Wii for those smart enough to put Linux on it. But this is too nerdy for most of the SDN crowd and I don't want to confuse people into thinking that this is rocket science to set up. :p