This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If missing 2 months of rotations is your biggest problem right now, count yourself lucky.

Schools charge per semester. They aren’t charging by credit or by weeks. You completed your Spring Semester. In my MS4 year, I had 4.5 months off, but I'm still charged the same as MS3. There is precedent for not prorating tuition in med school already. I did rotations in June, July, and August in 3rd year and 4th year, but I was only charged the tuition I paid 1st and 2nd when I had the summer off. It evened out.

The electives you were supposed to have were bonuses courses that you were doing beyond the requirements. Ask to audit the online modules the underclassman are doing if that helps you feel like you are getting your money’s worth.

The tuition money has already been allocated and it isn’t simple to make that money reappear. Schools would also recoup any refunded money by increasing tuition much more than they otherwise would, screwing future classes.
1) not a problem, i am just saying is there a possibility here. I am not expecting that I will get my money back neither am I losing sleep over it. Maybe just wasting time on sdn that I could use to reading for intern year or studying for step 3 or whatever else
2) I also got 3 months off in addition to these additional 2 months. So technically getting around 5 months off and paying full tuition.
3) MS1 and MS2 summers were factored into the tuition already when there was no covid. No one is talking about the usual tuition structure. I am talking the months off without rotations due to covid.
4) The "bonus" courses were courses that were accounted in my tuition. University is not giving me free education.
5) Not sure what you mean by audit the underclassmen online modules. I think the university should have had online classes for M4s that were interested to justify M4s paying tuition just like they did for all other classes. They could leave it upto M4s whether they want to tune in or not. They probably did not to save few extra bucks? Save some time for faculty? Not sure their reasoning as to why they didn't.
6) If a lot of M4s ask the question of refund, there is a possibility of getting at least a few thousand dollars back. Like other people were saying: gym cost, parking cost, graduation fees, match day ceremony fees. That is all my money. Wouldn't mind getting some of it back when there is legitimate reason.

If you disagree, you disagree. I will not change my mind, neither will you.

Members don't see this ad.

We're just getting gym fees back (at least it's something). Parking is free for now so those with permits will have them deferred (sucks for those about to graduate, but c'est la vie). Many students are mad at the education/ opportunities they're not getting and wanting tuition money back. I understand but it pains me to see them taking it out on the administration who is trying their best when there really is no playbook here. I'm thankful that they aren't talking about pushing back anyone's graduation because of this.

The biggest issue for my school has probably been those wanting to get in their medicine sub-i's before residency applications are due in the fall. The school recently sent an email that they are adding more spots through September to accommodate all those who had sub-i cancellations. They then went on to say how really many of us not going into IM don't need the medicine sub-i's so early and we should thinking carefully about taking one of those spots because if we failed there wouldn't be time to repeat before ERAS applications were due. I thought that was a little passive aggressive...

We asked the admin at our school. They legit said "Lol, that money has already been spent."

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You think they have money?

Reactions: 1 user
I heard of a lawsuit going on with some schools around the country. No idea if they were medical schools though.

I heard of a lawsuit going on with some schools around the country. No idea if they were medical schools though.
The one directed at my university was only for the undergrad.

We’re not, but seeing as im on a “rotation” right now, i have little bargaining room.

Reactions: 1 user
My class is seriously upset we are not (administration already said no). All of our "rotation" replacements have been free material donated to our school and yet here we are still paying full tuition for the past month.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Med school is mostly paying for someone to let you into a hospital and sign your degree the way most of us have been learning. That's what we're paying for so I doubt we'll get any back.

Reactions: 4 users
I doubt anyone will see money back except for line-item things that were not fulfilled, like if you ordered an ophthalmoscope or class jacket.

I'd say you're paying for the degree, not really the classes or rotations. At least that's how I always looked at it and it put my mind at ease. If schools end up not being able to graduate people on time, then I think there will be a financial reckoning, or at least a strong basis for one.

I'm not sure what year you are, but assuming you are a M1 or an M2, why do you think you would get anything back? You are still getting lectures, albeit in a different way sure. Clinical rotations I could maybe understand but think about this, what do you think would happen to your school if 25% of the years tuition had to be payed back suddenly? How would you expect them to pay their operating costs and faculty and staff? Why would you want to put your school in a position to potentially have to cut resources they offer or to layoff staff?

I wonder if in the future we might be able to make the case for (very) partial loan forgiveness.

My schools isn’t giving us any money back, but they are not increasing our tuition by 3% next year like they were originally going to before COVID, so that was cool

Reactions: 2 users
We asked the admin at our school. They legit said "Lol, that money has already been spent."
Basically this exact question was asked about a week ago, so I've merged your thread into the old one.

As you can see, my take is that you're unlikely to get a tuition reimbursement, and you probably don't like the outcome if you follow that request out to its logical conclusion:

So, I don't think you really want to make the argument that they aren't providing you ~30% of your required education this year. Logically, you would then need to extend your med school by ~3-4 months to make up that education that you didn't receive. I assume you wouldn't want that.

Yes, it's a crappy situation, and you're probably not getting your money's worth. But at the end of the day all that matters is that they graduate you in 4 years.