Policy Covid 19 antivax discussion and future responses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lawpy

42% Full Member
7+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Reaction score
With 2020 being the year of covid 19, restrictions and economic recessions, 2021 will be the year of mass vaccinations. Unfortunately this also means growing antivax sentiments:

Antivax sentiment will disrupt vaccination programs and allow SARS CoV 2, Variant of Concern and other covid variants to persist. Continued restrictions might be necessary.

Thoughts pls @Matthew9Thirtyfive @sunshinefl @iamarosepetal @underthesun @AnatomyGrey12

and everyone from the 21 ERAS thread so no derailing there

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I have always been very pro-vax. Always have been. I get every vaccine that is available to me. For Covid, I drove a 3 hour round trip to get vaccinated at the first place that offered it to me. I hope that enough people do the same that society can get back to normal. The pandemic has been by far the worst time of my life and if I stop to think about just how horrible and surreal it’s been for even 20 seconds, I cry.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
With 2020 being the year of covid 19, restrictions and economic recessions, 2021 will be the year of mass vaccinations. Unfortunately this also means growing antivax sentiments:

Antivax sentiment will disrupt vaccination programs and allow SARS CoV 2, Variant of Concern and other covid variants to persist. Continued restrictions might be necessary.

Thoughts pls @Matthew9Thirtyfive @sunshinefl @iamarosepetal @underthesun @AnatomyGrey12

and everyone from the 21 ERAS thread so no derailing there

Almost everyone I’ve seen who criticizes or has concerns about the covid vaccines either doesn’t understand how it was developed (e.g., they think corners were cut) or they don’t understand how long mRNA vaccines have been studied in human trials and how long long term safety data has been collected (almost a decade).

The other side is a gross mischaracterization of the risks of the virus and the vaccine. It is disheartening and infuriating to see healthcare workers—particularly physicians—being completely ignorant of science and data (and this hasn’t just been with the vaccine—physicians on this very forum have been skeptical of ****ing mask wearing for ****s sake).

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Again, most of you guys want to blame the public for what is happening, but they aren't as dumb as you think. Some people here seem to have pretty short memories. The government has a documented history of using American citizens as guinea pigs and even torturing and killing them in the name of science. How can you blame people for being cautious, or for (god forbid) questioning the motives/details of this process? I feel like most medical students could benefit from a history lesson that summarizes the last 100 years of crimes against humanity that have been committed by medical professionals. Then we might begin to understand why we're at odds with the public in situations like these.

Many of the people I've talked to in my area are very pro-vaccine, but are concerned about the rollout of the COVID vaccine and the fact that it is new (despite the fact the technology is not). This is absolutely a reasonable sentiment that a reasonable person might have. I think many physicians have tunnel vision and forget that the average person has limited knowledge of how vaccines work, and get frustrated with them for refusing it and not "taking their word for it". The bottom line is that patients have (and should always have) autonomy and it is our job to respect their wishes and freedoms. Blame the ass**** physicians that came before you and ruined patients' confidence in your recommendations, not the patients themselves.

I have personally already received the COVID vaccine. I accepted any potential risks because I am and will be around elderly patients who are frail and at high risk for complications of COVID. Receiving it leads by example, which is the same reason I continue to wear a mask. Playing the blame game and trying to subconsciously shame people and coerce them into vaccination is a losing strategy that reinforces the fears that the public already has.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
This is a prime example of how this issue should NOT be approached

I put them in the same category as flat-earthers or trickle-down economic-ers.
The lack of intelligence it takes to believe that is about the same.

When found it healthcare personnel, it is that much worse, because they have had the education to show them why they are wrong yet ignore it.

I put them in the same category as flat-earthers or trickle-down economic-ers.
The lack of intelligence it takes to believe that is about the same.

When found it healthcare personnel, it is that much worse, because they have had the education to show them why they are wrong yet ignore it.

What are the chances of covid being endemic and here to stay for many years?

Members don't see this ad :)
What are the chances of covid being endemic and here to stay for many years?

Likely, IMHO.

It is widespread, has high effective replication rate, and there will always be a new 'pool' of susceptible patients to sustain periodic outbreaks.

This pandemic has really shown that we are at best a minor league team when it comes to government.
Here’s the response:

Nurse: Here’s you’re COVID vaccine

Anti-vaxxer: I don’t want that! That’s poison

Nurse: Ok, cool. Enjoy you’re death or the death of a loved on. Next!
I have always been very pro-vax. Always have been. I get every vaccine that is available to me. For Covid, I drove a 3 hour round trip to get vaccinated at the first place that offered it to me. I hope that enough people do the same that society can get back to normal. The pandemic has been by far the worst time of my life and if I stop to think about just how horrible and surreal it’s been for even 20 seconds, I cry.
Likely, IMHO.

It is widespread, has high effective replication rate, and there will always be a new 'pool' of susceptible patients to sustain periodic outbreaks.

Thoughts on following?

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Well we just had a Super Bowl like any other year...so I think it’s safe to say we can welcome COVID into the annual vaccination family. At least the Flu won’t be lonely anymore. The real question is how long the barely effective mask culture will last. Because when that goes away is when this problem will really bloat.

Well we just had a Super Bowl like any other year...so I think it’s safe to say we can welcome COVID into the annual vaccination family. At least the Flu won’t be lonely anymore. The real question is how long the barely effective mask culture will last. Because when that goes away is when this problem will really bloat.
Uh, what?

22,000 people in the stadium this year compared to 62,000 last year.

Uh, what?

22,000 people in the stadium this year compared to 62,000 last year.

Ah my bad, I don’t football and 22,000 still sounded like a lot lol. Not to mention my instagram showed plenty of clumped up fans.

Many were cardboard cutouts. Apparently you could pay $100 to have your image on a cutout at the SB.

A friend of mine did this, not for the Super Bowl, but for our city's football team's games. We got to see him on tv once!

• Haha