COVID-19: anyone get pulled into doing general medicine yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elementals

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Heard that the powers that be were starting to seriously consider this. Has anyone been pulled yet?

God help me and my patients if that should happen. I don't remember a thing.

Members don't see this ad.

Not yet... I don't think I would be particularly useful in a hospital. But I would like to help out somehow.

Heard that the powers that be were starting to seriously consider this. Has anyone been pulled yet?

God help me and my patients if that should happen. I don't remember a thing.
This will never happen to ophthalmologists

Members don't see this ad :)
Supposedly happened in Italy...

Reactions: 1 users
My resident program has presented this to us as office appts are being cancelled for next couple months.

With AAO sending out email this evening to cancel clinics/care effective immediately for non urgent cases, we as residents are essentially property of our local ACGME. Granted, I am all for the greater good and felt my intern year prepared me well.

Hospital is now accepting volunteers to do inpatient work and get paid to deal with anticipated increased demand for doctors.
With your office closed, would you do inpatient hospitalist medicine to maintain an income?

Hospital is now accepting volunteers to do inpatient work and get paid to deal with anticipated increased demand for doctors.
With your office closed, would you do inpatient hospitalist medicine to maintain an income?

This goes against what I said earlier, but now that I've seen what's happening, probably not, no. I wouldn't be terribly useful on the floors. And since mortality rate seems to be correlated with viral load, and a lot of hospitals are restricting PPE even to front-line workers who need it most, no, I would not voluntarily go for that.

I know that makes me selfish. Some would even argue it is unethical for a doctor to choose not to provide medical care.

I will help in other ways - even though I'm doing some work, I've voluntarily accepted a significant pay cut to allow our staff to be paid during the shut down, I'm trying to donate time and resources in other ways, and I'm taking a lot more call than usual to accommodate our other doctors whose age and comorbidities put them at high risk. But volunteering to go to a war with neither adequate training nor adequate protection? No, I don't think I will.

This goes against what I said earlier, but now that I've seen what's happening, probably not, no. I wouldn't be terribly useful on the floors. And since mortality rate seems to be correlated with viral load, and a lot of hospitals are restricting PPE even to front-line workers who need it most, no, I would not voluntarily go for that.

I know that makes me selfish. Some would even argue it is unethical for a doctor to choose not to provide medical care.

I will help in other ways - even though I'm doing some work, I've voluntarily accepted a significant pay cut to allow our staff to be paid during the shut down, I'm trying to donate time and resources in other ways, and I'm taking a lot more call than usual to accommodate our other doctors whose age and comorbidities put them at high risk. But volunteering to go to a war with neither adequate training nor adequate protection? No, I don't think I will.

Not volunteering to serve on the medical floor where there is not appropriate PPE, and when we dont have adequate training is not selfish or unethical. It is smart. What is unethical is how hospital administrators who are all safe at home are mandating that front-line workers continue to work without providing them appropriate PPE, training, or protection.

Reactions: 1 user