COVID and Volunteering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pinkfluffybunny

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
I'm not sure if this has been asked (I looked but couldn't find anything so please link it if I missed anything) but would adding volunteer experiences during COVID be frowned upon? I currently deliver meals to senior citizens and also spend roughly 6 hours per week calling seniors to talk to them. I do this through a volunteer organization. I didn't want to come off as self righteous by talking about this on my application, as I fully realize that actual doctors/nurses/PAs etc. are doing life threatening work and I'm just delivering meals/making calls. Should I leave out the "during COVID" part? I don't want to accidentally minimize the hard work being done by essential healthcare workers and yap on about how my experience caring for seniors during COVID was valuable.
Also as a random side question that has nothing to do with this, I was pre dent for a while however upon shadowing MDs, I realized I was interested in pursuing a medical degree as opposed to a dental one. I have about 40 hours of dental shadowing and 100 of MD shadowing (different specialities). Would it be wise to include the dental shadowing hours (as about 20 were with a DDS, MD for oral maxillofacial surgery)?
Thanks so much :)

Members don't see this ad.

Volunteering during this time would certainly not be frowned upon, you're not minimizing anyone else by serving your community.