COVID, School Choice, and Risk of which schools could be more likely to be online?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seasalt99

Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm struggling with school choice (one closer and more suburban/ rural and one further in a big city). I'm seeing all these articles that college students are being advised to pick schools closer to home for support during hard times or due to finances, or that even if "COVID will be everywhere at some point," schools in high risk urban areas are more likely to stay remote (which I really don't want). Could people offer their thoughts onto how to balance these factors?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Covid 19/ corona virus is all around us. It is everywhere. Do not make a decision based on where you think covid is. Make a decision based on what school is best for you. It is everywhere....

Reactions: 7 users
Given how unpredictable and fluid things are right now, I would personally avoid basing the decision off of what is going on right this minute. Still take into consideration the long term differences between the schools that has led you to narrow down your choices to these two schools.

There is no telling where the hotspots will be weeks and months from now.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Covid 19/ corona virus is all around us. It is everywhere. Do not make a decision based on where you think covid is. Make a decision based on what school is best for you. It is everywhere....
Given how unpredictable and fluid things are right now, I would personally avoid basing the decision off of what is going on right this minute. Still take into consideration the long term differences between the schools that has led you to narrow down your choices to these two schools.

There is no telling where the hotspots will be weeks and months from now.

thanks so much guys. i completely agree but am just wondering your thoughts now that things have changed a bit. i'm a little concerned right now because as things are playing out and continuing to change, it seems like social distancing in more suburban and/ or rural areas may become more of a matter of choice, but maintain as a mandate and higher risk in big cities. i really don't want to start classes online and am trying to weigh this risk. for example, i know some mayors are saying this will go well into the summer and some governors are being really strict (e.g. NYC, Chicago, Philly), while others are not (e.g. Florida). do you think now that things are continuing to play out and you can sort of see how different local officials are approaching this, that it is valid to consider that some schools may be more or less likely to open for in person instruction?

Last edited:
Hi guys. I'm struggling with school choice (one closer and more suburban/ rural and one further in a big city). I'm seeing all these articles that college students are being advised to pick schools closer to home for support during hard times or due to finances, or that even if "COVID will be everywhere at some point," schools in high risk urban areas are more likely to stay remote (which I really don't want). Could people offer their thoughts onto how to balance these factors?
Assume that all classwork will be online for the time being.

Reactions: 1 user
thanks so much guys. i completely agree but am just wondering your thoughts now that things have changed a bit. i'm a little concerned right now because as things are playing out and continuing to change, it seems like social distancing in more suburban and/ or rural areas may become more of a matter of choice, but maintain as a mandate and higher risk in big cities. i really don't want to start classes online and am trying to weigh this risk. for example, i know some mayors are saying this will go well into the summer and some governors are being really strict (e.g. NYC, Chicago, Philly), while others are not (e.g. Florida). do you think now that things are continuing to play out and you can sort of see how different local officials are approaching this, that it is valid to consider that some schools may be more or less likely to open for in person instruction?

i would not base your school decision on that at all. IF ANYTHING, the states that got ahead of the curve so to speak might be in a slightly better position later on.

the rural counties and other states that are itching to re-open might very well pay for it later due to lack of precautions.

everything is uncertain. What i said earlier still stands in my view.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
i would not base your school decision on that at all. IF ANYTHING, the states that got ahead of the curve so to speak might be in a slightly better position later on.

the rural counties and other states that are itching to re-open might very well pay for it later due to lack of precautions.

everything is uncertain. What i said earlier still stands in my view.
This ^^^

You're all excited because "things have changed a bit" from two weeks ago, which is causing you to solicit opinions on what things are going to look like in cities, suburban and rural areas in places like NYC, Philly, Chicago and FL in July/August. Do the math on how many two week periods there are between now and then, and realize you need to just take a deep breath and make a decision.

You won't know what's going to happen in one place or another three or four months from now, but you DO know that this will eventually pass (even if not for a year or so), and you'll be living with whatever decision you make for at least the next four years.

This ^^^

You're all excited because "things have changed a bit" from two weeks ago, which is causing you to solicit opinions on what things are going to look like in cities, suburban and rural areas in places like NYC, Philly, Chicago and FL in July/August. Do the math on how many two week periods there are between now and then, and realize you need to just take a deep breath and make a decision.

You won't know what's going to happen in one place or another three or four months from now, but you DO know that this will eventually pass (even if not for a year or so), and you'll be living with whatever decision you make for at least the next four years.

thanks for the input everyone. i have ill loved ones right now and because of all these changes related to health, family, finances, etc. I'm struggling with these different, new pressures tied up in this decision.... i wouldn't say i'm "excited" things have changed... its called anxiety and its a fact that April 21 is closer to April 30 than April 9 so im checking in on my question and am grateful for the experts on this forum.

Reactions: 1 users
thanks for the input everyone. i have ill loved ones right now and because of all these changes related to health, family, finances, etc. I'm struggling with these different, new pressures tied up in this decision.... i wouldn't say i'm "excited" things have changed... its called anxiety and its a fact that April 21 is closer to April 30 than April 9 so im checking in on my question and am grateful for the experts on this forum.
Totally understand, and, speaking only for myself, I am FAR from an expert! :)

That said, my advice is to try to have perspective. We are all very stressed now, (and I only meant "excited" to mean that some positive movement is giving the illusion that things are coming into focus, when, in reality, they aren't -- they are just not getting worse for the time being) but try to resist the urge to make an intermediate term decision based on short term circumstances, even those involving ill loved ones.

You should absolutely do whatever feels right for you and your family, and take any advice you receive from strangers on the Internet with a grain of salt. My feeling is that this will be over in a year +/-, and, if I were you, I would not let COVID-19 drive a decision one way or the other on where to receive professional training that is going to set the course for the rest of your career.

Last edited:
Totally understand, and, speaking only for myself, I am FAR from an expert! :)

That said, my advice is to try to have perspective. We are all very stressed now, (and I only meant "excited" to mean that some positive movement is giving the illusion that things are coming into focus, when, in reality, they aren't -- they are just not getting worse for the time being) but try to resist the urge to make an intermediate term decision based on short term circumstances, even those involving ill loved ones.

You should absolutely do whatever feels right for you and your family, and take any advice you receive from strangers on the Internet with a grain of salt. My feeling is that this will be over in a year +/-, and, if I were you, I would not let COVID-19 drive a decision on where to receive professional training that is going to set the course for the rest of your career one way or the other.

Thank you so much for your kindness and providing a very useful perspective! I really do appreciate it. Best wishes to you :)