The ultimate COVID thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We got an email from one of our group members that the bill contains Surprise Billing Regulation in it with insurance companies having sole deciding power over reimbursements without any sort of independent regulation. Anybody else hearing this?

Unfortunately we just had a similar bill pass here in Indiana

The chances of Congress passing legislation to lower drug prices and protect patients from surprise medical bills are fading, at least until after the November election.

As the coronavirus crisis overshadows all other activity on Capitol Hill, the massive response package being negotiated on Tuesday is expected to push off a key deadline for drug pricing and surprise billing legislation.

The coronavirus response package is going to renew a range of expiring health care programs, such as community health center funding, until Nov. 30, sources say.

Members don't see this ad.

looks like recession is over. its defintiely starting to look ilke that V shape curve many of us were expecting
Today's bounce is absolutely meaningless in the picture of where is this going. A technical oversold bounce, nothing more nothing less. Nothing goes straight down. People think the 90% drop in the market in the Great Depression occurred in Oct, 1929. It occurred over a 3 year period with many many huge meaningless bounces similar to today. On a log scale (the only scale that matters in looking at charts) the drop Oct/29 was a mild fraction of the total.

This facade economy is done for a long time. If, and it's a huge if, but if this disease runs its course, we're friggin done. Forget about Dow 30,000 again for who knows how long except for hyperinflation. Even if you open the economy, which you have to do, so much of it will remain slow. Who is going to travel sitting next to random Fatty pushed up against you while people are dying on cots? We are still going to live isolated modest lives.

Here we are throwing 2 trillion at it like we can just continue to live our frivolous lives at the same pace. Our debt to gdp in this laughable strong consumer economy is close to WW2 peak. Where are the foods lines and other conservation measures? How many more trillions that we don't have get thrown at it every few months? I hope all of the projections are wrong because people have no idea that pain is in its infancy if this plays out in full.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

The chances of Congress passing legislation to lower drug prices and protect patients from surprise medical bills are fading, at least until after the November election.

As the coronavirus crisis overshadows all other activity on Capitol Hill, the massive response package being negotiated on Tuesday is expected to push off a key deadline for drug pricing and surprise billing legislation.

The coronavirus response package is going to renew a range of expiring health care programs, such as community health center funding, until Nov. 30, sources say.

The email we received was that there is legislation regarding Surprise Billing in the Coronavirus relief bill itself, not an altogether separate bill. I haven’t seen anything online anywhere to confirm this, which is why I was wondering if anyone else heard anything similar

Members don't see this ad :)
Today's bounce is absolutely meaningless in the picture of where is this going. A technical oversold bounce, nothing more nothing less. Nothing goes straight down. People think the 90% drop in the market in the Great Depression occurred in Oct, 1929. It occurred over a 3 year period with many many huge meaningless bounces similar to today. On a log scale (the only scale that matters in looking at charts) the drop Oct/29 was a mild fraction of the total.

This facade economy is done for a long time. If, and it's a huge if, but if this disease runs its course, we're friggin done. Forget about Dow 30,000 again for who knows him long except for hyperinflation. Even if you open the economy, which you have to do, so much of it will remain slow. Who is going to travel sitting next to random Fatty pushed up against you while people are dying on cots? We are still going to live isolated modest lives.

Here we are throwing 2 trillion at it like we can just continue to live our frivolous lives at the same pace. Our debt to gdp in this laughable strong consumer economy is close to WW2 peak. Where are the foods lines and other conservation measures? How many more trillions that we don't have get thrown at it every few months? I hope all of the projections are wrong because people have no idea that pain is in its infancy if this plays out in full.

Short term the 2-3 trillion stimulus works. Don't go against the Fed and massive stimulus bills. We will re-test the lows again then buy and buy with both fists. This will be a short lived recession due to "historic" interventions measured in weeks not months. By Mid April the market will have turned up so this is the opportunity of the decade. I don't know whether the bottom is 2150 or 2050 or 2,000 but the next time we drop down close to 2150 that's the buy signal IMHO.

The US govt. is throwing trillions and trillions at this recession. I think it might be 5-8 trillion in total. Once the tide turns the zero interest rates and massive QE will drive stocks back up to 2700-2800 by November. The stock market is forward looking and 2021 looks fine in terms of growth vs 2020. So, I expect S and P near 3,000 by April 2021.

This facade economy is done for a long time. If, and it's a huge if, but if this disease runs its course, we're friggin done. Forget about Dow 30,000 again for who knows him long except for hyperinflation. Even if you open the economy, which you have to do, so much of it will remain slow. Who is going to travel sitting next to random Fatty pushed up against you while people are dying on cots? We are still going to live isolated modest lives.

Just curious, what is the asset allocation of your portfolio...

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
I was thinking 5k each week for next two months to dollar cost average it? I'm only 2 years out of residency, so this is one of the first times I've ever had money.

Reactions: 1 users
JobsFan/FFP are correct in that the stock market hasn't reached a true bottom. 2150 is still likely to be tested. That is your opportunity.

• Stocks are showing some signs of finding a bottom and markets are looking better with some improvements in credit and buying interest in stocks.
  • The market has been lifted by the promise of a big stimulus program from Washington and a huge blast of monetary stimulus from the Federal Reserve.
  • Strategists warn it could be a temporary bottom, and there will be no real bottom until it is clear new coronavirus cases in the U.S. have peaked.

How much has the government pumped into coronavirus bear market/recession so far? Didn't they give 1T$ a couple weeks earlier? Given the size of the total economy, what kind of reasonable level would you expect a 2T$ infusion of money from the gov't to have on S&P500 and overall markets?

I was thinking 5k each week for next two months to dollar cost average it? I'm only 2 years out of residency, so this is one of the first times I've ever had money.

I would space it out a bit more. I think there's a strong possibility that there will be a stock recovery heading into summer and then tank again leading into the election as economic numbers aren't as "back to normal" as expected.

Do you have a large emergency fund? Can it last up to a year at your current spending if you were to be laid off? Do you have any provisions to help your family in case they need some cash for food or basic necessities? Our job is not as safe as it seems, so be cautious about throwing it all into the stock market. Best of luck. Stay safe.

Reactions: 5 users
Short term the 2-3 trillion stimulus works. Don't go against the Fed and massive stimulus bills. We will re-test the lows again then buy and buy with both fists. This will be a short lived recession due to "historic" interventions measured in weeks not months. By Mid April the market will have turned up so this is the opportunity of the decade. I don't know whether the bottom is 2150 or 2050 or 2,000 but the next time we drop down close to 2150 that's the buy signal IMHO.

The US govt. is throwing trillions and trillions at this recession. I think it might be 5-8 trillion in total. Once the tide turns the zero interest rates and massive QE will drive stocks back up to 2700-2800 by November. The stock market is forward looking and 2021 looks fine in terms of growth vs 2020. So, I expect S and P near 3,000 by April 2021.

Im heavily investing like you, however, does it make you nervous we are jumping aboard the titanic?

it’s clear this is propped up by fake money. Do you have confidence in this not being a house of cards in the not so distant future?

Depends how much you have to invest, and what other options you have. I’m dropping a pinch into the broad market and a lot into private equity. The industries that the firm I work with specializes in match ones I expect to do well, and the hope would be that they can be a white knight for good companies who have owners with short term cash problems.

I personally think now is a great time to start with DCA.
I also think that it will be a good time to DCA your earnings in over the next 30 years as well though...

I agree with above too though, especially now, make sure you have a year set aside in a very safe allocation.

Bro, I completely agree with you, you're my spirit animal. I'm only 3 years out with attending pay, but (all the while maxing out my wife and i 403b, 457, backdoor Roth) this market is bonkers. Been able to literally go from 70k in my brokerage account to 322 in the past two weeks trading longs, shorts, and most recently options. If any of you like to day trade, this is the one opportunity we're going to have to be more successful than DCA in ETF

Market is going to be volatile AF for the foreseeable future, just play the long and short positions, always leaning towards the short pending on what the media says.

In times like this (fear market), the markets are just a giant group psychology experiment, personally for me that's what makes this interesting and fun.

Bro, I completely agree with you, you're my spirit animal. I'm only 3 years out with attending pay, but (all the while maxing out my wife and i 403b, 457, backdoor Roth) this market is bonkers. Been able to literally go from 70k in my brokerage account to 322 in the past two weeks trading longs, shorts, and most recently options. If any of you like to day trade, this is the one opportunity we're going to have to be more successful than DCA in ETF

Market is going to be volatile AF for the foreseeable future, just play the long and short positions, always leaning towards the short pending on what the media says.

In times like this (fear market), the markets are just a giant group psychology experiment, personally for me that's what makes this interesting and fun.

how do you even learn how to do this

Members don't see this ad :)
how do you even learn how to do this
It's not rocket science in a market like this. Just look how the market behaves, and personally, shorting the market, especially at a 3x, I'm too scared to do 10x or even 30x, is easy because we're no where near bottom yet. I held SOXL overnight (I never hold overnight) last night because of the possible stimulus package going through, that didn't happen, but the markets went nuts, made 30% when my stop loss hit.

To answer your question, investors.com, Fidelity, @BLADEMDA, MarketWatch, anything I can get my hands on. In all reality it's mainly people I trust that are way smarter than me, step dad (been day trading with IBD for >30 years) one of my fellow cardiac partners made back 1.5M since his initial loss, another one of my partners been trading options for 10 years (made 400k when the markets went up today)

There's money to be made on the downfall, we're going to have several bumps as the fed injects money, unfortunately it's a downhill slide as we have no consumerism outside of online while most of us are on lockdown

Governor Cuomo gives much better daily updates than anything coming out of the federal government at this point. The situation in New York is dire, but the rest of the country may not be far behind. He gives concrete numbers and lays out a plan not only for combating the pandemic nationwide, but for restarting the economy. It’s worth a watch.

Very Presidential. Far more so than President Trump. I would probably never vote for him after I learn more about his left wing policies, but no denying he handles himself well.

I had to laugh when he subtracted 400 new ventilators from a 30,000 need and asked, What 26,000 do you tell doesn't get a ventilator? Reminds me of MSNBC dividing one million into 500 million and coming up with the population of the entire country.

Do you have a large emergency fund? Can it last up to a year at your current spending if you were to be laid off? Do you have any provisions to help your family in case they need some cash for food or basic necessities? Our job is not as safe as it seems, so be cautious about throwing it all into the stock market. Best of luck. Stay safe.
I think now it's the time we should be wise and buy calls that expire in 2022, or LEAPs, not hold stocks. That will limit our downside, should the bottom fall out.

People should also consider what would happen if their retirement accounts went to 20%. (or less). We may never see Dow 28,000 in our lives again, indeed. One black swan can always generate another.

Man you nailed it. In volatile times like this It's all technical movement and that's based on human emotion.

26D5594E-598C-49F6-8422-02637B6CFC46.jpeg

Reactions: 4 users
Cuomo put out an excellent press conference, yet this highlighted excerpt was actually the low point. What a completely disingenuous ignorant comment. Fact is, as many dumb things Trump has said, and there are many, Trump is 1000% factual correct; We do NOT close down the country for the flu that does KILL 36,000. We don't stop driving. We don't stop flying. We don't stop playing sports.

This talk of one life that could be saved from Corona is one death too many is nothing but nonsense. We balance acceptable number of lives lost with literally everything, and there will have to be more deaths from Corona greater than the absolute minimum unless we want to live in the stone age.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Very Presidential. Far more so than President Trump. I would probably never vote for him after I learn more about his left wing policies, but no denying he handles himself well.

i’m for the other side of the world, have never heard of this guy, never seen him interviewed before - but he is a cool head and a clear communicator, exactly what is needed.

if you’ve got people like that, how the hell did you end up with trump

Cuomo put out an excellent press conference, yet this highlighted excerpt was actually the low point. What a completely disingenuous ignorant comment. Fact is, any many dumb things Trump has said, and there are many, Trump is 1000% factual correct; We do NOT close down the country for the flu that does KILL 36,000. We don't stop driving. We don't stop flying. We don't stop playing sports.

This talk of one life that could be saved from Corona is one death too many is nothing but nonsense. We balance acceptable number of lives lost with literally everything, and there will have to be more deaths from Corona greater than the absolutely minimum unless we want to live in the stone age.

COVID is not the flu. The flu does not put previously healthy 40yo’s on a vent for 2 weeks. If you think it is, you can save the PPE for those of us who think it’s not a joke.

Trump has lost all credibility and control over the COVID response. Nobody is listening to him. The governors are the ones who are shutting down businesses and giving the stay at home orders. Trump cannot reopen the country because he is not the one who shut it down. With the exception of a few whackadoos, nobody is going to church on Easter. He missed his opportunity to save the economy.

Last edited:

This facade economy is done for a long time. If, and it's a huge if, but if this disease runs its course, we're friggin done. Forget about Dow 30,000 again for who knows how long except for hyperinflation. Even if you open the economy, which you have to do, so much of it will remain slow. Who is going to travel sitting next to random Fatty pushed up against you while people are dying on cots? We are still going to live isolated modest lives.

I look forward to bumping this post in about 3 years

It's not rocket science in a market like this. Just look how the market behaves, and personally, shorting the market, especially at a 3x, I'm too scared to do 10x or even 30x, is easy because we're no where near bottom yet. I held SOXL overnight (I never hold overnight) last night because of the possible stimulus package going through, that didn't happen, but the markets went nuts, made 30% when my stop loss hit.

To answer your question, investors.com, Fidelity, @BLADEMDA, MarketWatch, anything I can get my hands on. In all reality it's mainly people I trust that are way smarter than me, step dad (been day trading with IBD for >30 years) one of my fellow cardiac partners made back 1.5M since his initial loss, another one of my partners been trading options for 10 years (made 400k when the markets went up today)

There's money to be made on the downfall, we're going to have several bumps as the fed injects money, unfortunately it's a downhill slide as we have no consumerism outside of online while most of us are on lockdown

Man I know way smarter investors than you that have gone busto with the same line of thinking over the years. If you have anything to do with using 3x funds, you are no better than somebody sitting at the roulette table. If you dare to even touch 10x or 30x, you are playing Russian roulette.

The nice part about being a physician is you don't need to take those kind of risks.

• Love
Man I know way smarter investors than you that have gone busto with the same line of thinking over the years. If you have anything to do with using 3x funds, you are no better than somebody sitting at the roulette table. If you dare to even touch 10x or 30x, you are playing Russian roulette.

The nice part about being a physician is you don't need to take those kind of risks.

I totally agree with you and respect you brother. However, whats happening right now is not normal, it's all based on fear and the fact that the underlying fundamentals are fine (minus airlines, cruise ships, hotels, P/E ratios were wack prior to the drop, now more reasonable, whatever else you want to throw in there), but theres no capital inflow/outflow, Q2, Q3 is going to be a disaster.

I'm just having a blast making money on the way down (again, most days totally out of the market at close), the days of easy DCA are over for the next several years.

I totally agree with you and respect you brother. However, whats happening right now is not normal, it's all based on fear and the fact that the underlying fundamentals are fine (minus airlines, cruise ships, hotels, P/E ratios were wack prior to the drop, now more reasonable, whatever else you want to throw in there), but theres no capital inflow/outflow, Q2, Q3 is going to be a disaster.

I'm just having a blast making money on the way down (again, most days totally out of the market at close), the days of easy DCA are over for the next several years.

It gets old people coming in here posting about how many millions they made days or weeks ago with their awesome day trading (gambling cough cough....). Unless I get corrected I've yet to see someone post their $ amounts and trades BEFORE the market opens so we can all track them in real time.

Plaquenil is being used in the treatment algorithm at MGH among other places. If it’s good enough for them, it’s good enough for me. That being said I am only taking the prophylactic dose (400 mg/week). Definitely not going to take the full lupus dose of BID....
We will likely be intubating patients with COVID. I will be directly in the line of fire and would like some (possible) protection....
Wtf!?!

Why??
This is foolishness. I hope you don't harm yourself or others with your experiment.

I expect the market to bounce back to 3,000 by April 2021. The market will look past the next few quarters and realize the turn-around is coming. What we are likely to see is stabilization of the trading range between 2300 and 2600. That is still enough volatility for traders to engage in speculation/shorts/longs/etc. For those that can put in a significant sum of money between tomorrow and the end of this year the returns will be quite good IMHO.

“The federal government and the U.S. Treasury have intervened in financial markets in an unprecedented fashion, and the Congress is on the brink of passing legislation which will help bridge the economy and our country’s workforce and citizens during what we believe to be a temporary but massive economic shock,” Ackman wrote.

For those reasons, “we became increasingly positive on equity and credit markets last week, and began the process of unwinding our hedges and redeploying our capital in companies we love at bargain prices,” he added.

Ackman said he used the influx of cash to add to Pershing’s existing investments in Agilent, Berkshire Hathaway, Hilton, Lowe’s and Restaurant Brands. The fund also purchased “several new investments including reestablishing our investment in Starbucks,” which it had closed in January.

I really hope you have a lot more than that socked away for basic expenses. 6 months minimum expenses is essential in these times. we literally have NO income generating work and it’s gonna be that way for the foreseeable future. I’m just hoarding cash and cutting expenses at this point. When elective surgeries come back and demand for our services is up ill invest heavily (market will still be down). Worry about getting rich later, now it’s about surviving ....

“I’d love to have it open by Easter,” Trump said during a Fox News town hall on Tuesday. "It’s such an important day for other reasons, but I’ll make it an important day for this too."
"We lose thousands and thousands of people a year to the flu," Trump said. "We don’t turn the country off.
“We lose much more than that to automobile accidents. We didn’t call up the automobile companies and say, ‘Stop making cars, we don’t want any cars anymore.’ We have to get back to work."
He continued: "Our people are full of vim and vigour and energy.

"They don’t want to be locked in a house or an apartment or some space."

Looks like Trump plans on just letting the virus run it's course and getting the USA back to work.
He's correct that the economic fallout of a prolonged shutdown will be immense, but the human cost of not shutting down is going to be terrible.

what a disaster.
It's like the trolly problem except there's only one track covered in people and the major concern is the trolley running off schedule if you stop it

I think they are not far from the truth. If I were Trump, I would save the ventilators for my base, so I don't lose their votes. That's exactly what that base expects, too.

If the stimulus bill passes the market low has been made. If the bill gets delayed the market may turn negative again towards 2150. So pay attention to the bill in terms of the stock market numbers.

I am hoping for at least 1 more test down to 2200 to buy stocks but that may not happen. Remember+ once the curve flattens the stock market will look past the next 2 quarters. So; for those waiting until July or August you will be disappointed with higher equity prices in the 2600 range.

You laugh....and yet the free market and every domestic and foreign buyer of trillions of dollars worth of 10 year and 30 year US treasury bonds thinks the going rate should be <1% and 1.4% respectively.

Now, either you and every other national debt howler knows something that the entire rest of the world doesn't, orrrrrrrr the reasonable expectation is that we are only 30-40 years into a new technological revolution, US GDP growth has a long way to go (at least 100-200+ years), the government will continue to exist with the ability to tax, and thus we will easily be able to service our debt for the forseeable future.
You do realize that the federal reserve has intervened heavily to keep those yields low? In fact, it's buying all kinds of bonds right now. That is in addition to all the stimulus money. The system almost imploded a few weeks ago just because the fed wasn't buying bonds with older maturities. Once this is all over, all we will have is a record amount of zombie companies, people hanging on to dead jobs and a dollar collapse. Now hopefully cooler heads will prevail, but I think people will be very angry once they see their 1000 bailout check is not really enough to buy anything.

New Orleans.

One ICU nurse at Ochsner told a reporter that her years of critical care experience didn’t prepare her for the waves of coronavirus patients who have filled her unit in less than a week.
“The first night I worked where the entire unit was COVID patients, I got into my car and started bawling,” said the nurse. “When I tell you it's like a war zone up there, that's kind of putting it easy.”

• Wow

A recent analysis from the University of Pennsylvania estimated that even if social-distancing measures can reduce infection rates by 95 percent, 960,000 Americans will still need intensive care. There are only about 180,000 ventilators in the U.S. and, more pertinently, only enough respiratory therapists and critical-care staff to safely look after 100,000 ventilated patients. Abandoning social distancing would be foolish. Abandoning it now, when tests and protective equipment are still scarce, would be catastrophic.

Even a perfect response won’t end the pandemic. As long as the virus persists somewhere, there’s a chance that one infected traveler will reignite fresh sparks in countries that have already extinguished their fires. This is already happening in China, Singapore, and other Asian countries that briefly seemed to have the virus under control. Under these conditions, there are three possible endgames: one that’s very unlikely, one that’s very dangerous, and one that’s very long.

Imho the low will be approximately two weeks from today

We shall see as the huge bargains are mostly gone. I will be a buyer when the bargains re-appear but remember 2350 is a former area of support and that may hold this time. A new bottom of 2150 is unlikely if the stimulus bill passes. The trading range will be 2350-2600 for a month or two before the market moves up even higher.

You do realize that the federal reserve has intervened heavily to keep those yields low? In fact, it's buying all kinds of bonds right now. That is in addition to all the stimulus money. The system almost imploded a few weeks ago just because the fed wasn't buying bonds with older maturities. Once this is all over, all we will have is a record amount of zombie companies, people hanging on to dead jobs and a dollar collapse. Now hopefully cooler heads will prevail, but I think people will be very angry once they see their 1000 bailout check is not really enough to buy anything.

It is per person and kids get $500. I don't know about you but an extra $3k is a lot of money to most people. The person who cuts my hair was telling me how important that money was to him and his family. He said that was enough to get him through 3-4 weeks.

As Congress pushes through a $2 trillion stimulus bill, some Americans can expect checks from the government to help them cope with the economic devastation stemming from the coronavirus crisis.

Those payments are expected to be $1,200 for individuals, or $2,400 for those who are married and file income taxes jointly. It also includes $500 per child.

But you have to meet certain qualifications in order to be eligible for the money, based on your adjusted gross income in your 2018 tax returns. If you earn more than $75,000 as an individual, $112,500 as the head of household or $150,000 if you are married and filing jointly, the amount of those checks starts to get reduced.

You also must have a valid Social Security number in order to receive the funds.

Last edited:
Do not buy this rally. Wait for the market to at least re-test 2350 and possibly 2200. The market needs to see a leveling off of cases to truly have a bottom in place. Perhaps, bad news out of NYC will cause some big down days. The news over the next 2 weeks in NYC should be pretty bad.

Debt and money printing don't matter....until they do.

I am using this run up in munis to dump most of them. Even the high quality stuff. The yield just ain't worth it. The fed can't bail out everybody, and I have a feeling that muni bondholders are going to Belfast sympathetic no matter who wins. Trump loved sticking it to people he borrowed money from and a Democratic administration won't be sympathetic to high tax bracket individuals. Holding lots of short treasurys which pay nothing or actually negative today.

I am using this run up in munis to dump most of them. Even the high quality stuff. The yield just ain't worth it. The fed can't bail out everybody, and I have a feeling that muni bondholders are going to Belfast sympathetic no matter who wins. Trump loved sticking it to people he borrowed money from and a Democratic administration won't be sympathetic to high tax bracket individuals. Holding lots of short treasurys which pay nothing or actually negative today.

Once we reach an S and P 500 of 3200 and my allocation goes back to 70/30 where do I put that 30%? CDs? Gold? Bitcoin? The options are limited and pay almost nothing.

Gold is a bet on hyperinflation and the U.S. Dollar being worth a lot less. The currency itself has no value but reflects the value of the fiat currency using to buy it.

I just heard this stimulus when all said and done will reach 10 trillion. I'm speechless at the insanity. It's amazing how many think debt and money printing never matter and doesn't reflect a completely propped up market and economy.

See the chart above? Why hold those when you can own good, dividend paying U.S. stocks with a 2%+ yield? That's why stocks will eventually go back to 3200. The FED is pushing investors hard into equities. In just a year the market in the USA will be back over 3,000 and that will be due to the FED cutting interest rates to ZERO with a massive, unlimited QE program.