CPJE and Moving to California

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The_Rebirth

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Regardless of the exam I am moving to California in September from Ohio. I'm just now looking at the application process and reading the pass rates more in depth and this exam looks absolutely hopeless.

I'm currently a working retail pharmacist and don't have much time to study on top of the fact that it's always been really difficult for me to focus when studying. I'm really hoping some of you who have passed and what not have some condensed things to focus on in terms of studying. As a retail pharmacist I'm not gonna lie, I have forgot a lot of things. I bought a book off ebay for studyiong and it is literally anything and everything from brand name to dosings. I feel like it has a lot fo info I should have to focus on for the CPJE?

What do you believe would be the most effective study guides for someone with not much time as is? I'm thinking of biting the bullet and just buying the RXprep CPJE for 6 months/$185 but that only has law (which I haven't even touched yet because I'm nervous about all the clinical info everyone has mentioned is on it)

I'm literally at starbucks and on the verge of crying lmaoo I would have never imagined I'd be taking a harder and more like a bully exam after I passed the NAPLEX a few years ago.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Question for any newly licensed California pharmacists that were previously licensed in other states: looking at my license it shows that is is valid until July 2019, am I really exempt from CE for 2 years for my California License?

Members don't see this ad :)
Due to some family circumstances, this exam is a MUST pass the first time kinda situation now, the anxiety and depression is really kicking in lol

Yea, I took it yesterday! So far off of just what I remember I've gotten like 10-11 wrong and I'm already freaking out and still like a month and a half of wait time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Regardless of the exam I am moving to California in September from Ohio. I'm just now looking at the application process and reading the pass rates more in depth and this exam looks absolutely hopeless.

I'm currently a working retail pharmacist and don't have much time to study on top of the fact that it's always been really difficult for me to focus when studying. I'm really hoping some of you who have passed and what not have some condensed things to focus on in terms of studying. As a retail pharmacist I'm not gonna lie, I have forgot a lot of things. I bought a book off ebay for studyiong and it is literally anything and everything from brand name to dosings. I feel like it has a lot fo info I should have to focus on for the CPJE?

What do you believe would be the most effective study guides for someone with not much time as is? I'm thinking of biting the bullet and just buying the RXprep CPJE for 6 months/$185 but that only has law (which I haven't even touched yet because I'm nervous about all the clinical info everyone has mentioned is on it)

I'm literally at starbucks and on the verge of crying lmaoo I would have never imagined I'd be taking a harder and more like a bully exam after I passed the NAPLEX a few years ago.
Did you take the test?

I’ve been out of state so I can’t even find out my results for sure but I did get the dark window in informed delivery on Monday and everyone said I passed on my first try!

I had a few emails asking what I did to prep for the exam. I only used Pharmacy Charts and some tables out of a PDF packet I bought off eBay because I didn’t want to buy too much. That packet also had a summarized law portion in the backend, that’s really the most useful thing from it.

In terms of studying, I studied almost every days for nearly a month. I read everything in the book numerous amounts of times over. Definitely know your IV compatibilities, know your BP combos, know your drug class conversions, in general know as much as you can about the law portion because I felt like I had a lot of easy law then I had a lot of scenarios about things going wrong in the hospital/retail.

This exam truly asks the most obscure things and pick out stuff from everywhere. You really do have to study everything and just hope you remember small things, even if you won’t use that stupid info ever again.

Focus on reading things we've already mentioned previously if you already know how to read

I'm assuming that you passed CPJE Rebirth - congrats! I'm studying from Pharmacy charts too, but I was wondering if you memorized dosing for everything.

I’ve been out of state so I can’t even find out my results for sure but I did get the dark window in informed delivery on Monday and everyone said I passed on my first try!

I had a few emails asking what I did to prep for the exam. I only used Pharmacy Charts and some tables out of a PDF packet I bought off eBay because I didn’t want to buy too much. That packet also had a summarized law portion in the backend, that’s really the most useful thing from it.

In terms of studying, I studied almost every days for nearly a month. I read everything in the book numerous amounts of times over. Definitely know your IV compatibilities, know your BP combos, know your drug class conversions, in general know as much as you can about the law portion because I felt like I had a lot of easy law then I had a lot of scenarios about things going wrong in the hospital/retail.

This exam truly asks the most obscure things and pick out stuff from everywhere. You really do have to study everything and just hope you remember small things, even if you won’t use that stupid info ever again.

Can you post a link of chart you bought on eBay?

How was the CPJE compared to the NAPLEX? Which one is harder?
I thought studying for the NAPLEX took longer but was overall easier because they tested clinically relevant material for the most part. Studying for the law for CPJE is easy, but the clinical portion is kinda taking stabs in the dark.

For those of you who have taken the CPJE, I took the 78 question sample test from the BoP and got an 80ish% this time around. A handful of months ago when I took it I believe I got like a 71-72%. How similar was the practice to the actual exam for you all?

I've been reading through this thread, (btw, thank you so much for all of the details about the exam topics), and I was wondering if your score on the practice exam holds true to the score when you passed the CPJE? Thanks so much!

I thought studying for the NAPLEX took longer but was overall easier because they tested clinically relevant material for the most part. Studying for the law for CPJE is easy, but the clinical portion is kinda taking stabs in the dark.

what % is law and what % is clinical? Big thanks!

I read through weissman once and did all their practice questions. watched all the CPJE RxPrep videos and read that book (it's short). Then I did all the practice questions online for the CPJE. making sure I could answer each section with a 100% score

Hi, when you did your weissman questions, about how many you were getting right? I was answering rxprep questions and I was getting more than 80% right, some parts 100% right,. I also did the cpje sample from the board website and I got 82% right. However, when I answered weissman questions, I only got 68% right... Now I am not sure if I am prepared for cpje. If you don´t mind, would you tell me what was your experience in terms of scoring for practice exams from rxprep, weissman ..compared to your score on the real test? Thank you so much

Hi, when you did your weissman questions, about how many you were getting right? I was answering rxprep questions and I was getting more than 80% right, some parts 100% right,. I also did the cpje sample from the board website and I got 82% right. However, when I answered weissman questions, I only got 68% right... Now I am not sure if I am prepared for cpje. If you don´t mind, would you tell me what was your experience in terms of scoring for practice exams from rxprep, weissman ..compared to your score on the real test? Thank you so much

I think on the weissman i was getting ~70% on their question sets. RxPrep I would do the question sets until I could answer every question set 100% and I would rewatch the sections I was missing questions on. I ended up having a passing score by a decent margin, though I don't remember my score off the top of my head.

I think on the weissman i was getting ~70% on their question sets. RxPrep I would do the question sets until I could answer every question set 100% and I would rewatch the sections I was missing questions on. I ended up having a passing score by a decent margin, though I don't remember my score off the top of my head.

Oh, ok, thank you so much. That´s a good strategy what you did with rxprep tests. I will try that.

Know any CA companies that would grant you an interview without passing the cpje first and getting licensed?

The law sections I started around 80% I would say, and within a week I was at 100%
The therapeutic interchange sections took me a while to get down. I studied brand-generic for a few days and then it was a lot easier.

did you also use the weissman law book?