CPJE and Naplex..My experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmT4

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Friends!

Just wanted to share my studying and test taking experience to contribute to the forum which helped me a lot during my study time.

It was a long hard time of study for me. I was studying from PassNaplexNow books. Whatever ur main source of study is, that should be etched in ur memory. Kind of photographic memory so that when during exam ur trying to recall the info, u know where it was written and what was written. That needs repeated revisions. After u read a page, close the book and try to repeat all the imp points without peeking. Then u will know, what u tend to forget and focus on that. What u remember need not be revised again and again coz it dilutes our revision focus. Each time u revise, try and remember a new detail. I had a notebook where i was writing down imp stuff. e.g. RA..first write down all brand generics with class of drug as heading (MOA is covered here). Then write class side effects. Next list unique points/se/monitoring for each drug. this helps cover differences with in class. add doses where imp (for CPJE) in the end. Also, study the disease state, non pharmacological management, Not all this needs to be done in one reading. each revision add a new thing. compile lists for unique info u get during studying..eg names of ODTs, patches, chewables; meds which go in NG tube and which don't; different tests for diagnosis of diseases or any specific markers; mg to mg iv to oral conversions of imp drugs; equivalent doses ( statins, opioids, steroids ,PPIs); all math formulae; shake well meds and no shake; filter and no filter; meds which cause rash/lupus, seizures, serotonin syndrome, bone marrow suppression etc...all these things are asked in CPJE. Lists help u revise these imp points fast. I made a lot of acronyms and mnemonics to help me remember things and I even made a list of those coz i noticed that i was forgetting my acronym itself! if u hv read everything more than one time..u know what I am talking about. Naplex does not go that deep or specific but CPJE does. everybody's test is different. I had a lot of hospital pharmacy qs- read about the common sources of error in a hospital and how to avoid them. counseling/monitoring/sigs/reading labels for any mistake was an imp part of cpje. Needless to say practice maths coz it needs confidence in ur calculated answer to fill in the boxes. i finished both my exams with 3 mins or so to spare. So pace urself. My naplex had about 8-10 NNT/ARR stats qs!! Select all that apply qs in the naplex are difficult coz thats like 4-5 qs in one Q. read and re-read so that u can recall clearly and fast and move on to the next one. I studied a lot and I am very thankful that I was able to clear my exams. Revision is the key..it has to be fast and effective. In the last 3 days of the test, I revised all the material about 3-4 times! My notebook helped me. I did a lot of qs too about a month before the exams. There is this site called bench prep.com which has a free 3/4 day trial and have about 1000 qs. I did all those qs in the free trial period :) They were good qs. I also got Kaplan q bank. I did that once..it was ok. I gave the prenaplex and scored 110. the result was pretty close to the actual score 112.
If there is anything specific u want to know, let me know..i think this was pretty long itself! good luck for ur studying! study hard and be confident! U will make it!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi Friends!

Just wanted to share my studying and test taking experience to contribute to the forum which helped me a lot during my study time.

It was a long hard time of study for me. I was studying from PassNaplexNow books. Whatever ur main source of study is, that should be etched in ur memory. Kind of photographic memory so that when during exam ur trying to recall the info, u know where it was written and what was written. That needs repeated revisions. After u read a page, close the book and try to repeat all the imp points without peeking. Then u will know, what u tend to forget and focus on that. What u remember need not be revised again and again coz it dilutes our revision focus. Each time u revise, try and remember a new detail. I had a notebook where i was writing down imp stuff. e.g. RA..first write down all brand generics with class of drug as heading (MOA is covered here). Then write class side effects. Next list unique points/se/monitoring for each drug. this helps cover differences with in class. add doses where imp (for CPJE) in the end. Also, study the disease state, non pharmacological management, Not all this needs to be done in one reading. each revision add a new thing. compile lists for unique info u get during studying..eg names of ODTs, patches, chewables; meds which go in NG tube and which don't; different tests for diagnosis of diseases or any specific markers; mg to mg iv to oral conversions of imp drugs; equivalent doses ( statins, opioids, steroids ,PPIs); all math formulae; shake well meds and no shake; filter and no filter; meds which cause rash/lupus, seizures, serotonin syndrome, bone marrow suppression etc...all these things are asked in CPJE. Lists help u revise these imp points fast. I made a lot of acronyms and mnemonics to help me remember things and I even made a list of those coz i noticed that i was forgetting my acronym itself! if u hv read everything more than one time..u know what I am talking about. Naplex does not go that deep or specific but CPJE does. everybody's test is different. I had a lot of hospital pharmacy qs- read about the common sources of error in a hospital and how to avoid them. counseling/monitoring/sigs/reading labels for any mistake was an imp part of cpje. Needless to say practice maths coz it needs confidence in ur calculated answer to fill in the boxes. i finished both my exams with 3 mins or so to spare. So pace urself. My naplex had about 8-10 NNT/ARR stats qs!! Select all that apply qs in the naplex are difficult coz thats like 4-5 qs in one Q. read and re-read so that u can recall clearly and fast and move on to the next one. I studied a lot and I am very thankful that I was able to clear my exams. Revision is the key..it has to be fast and effective. In the last 3 days of the test, I revised all the material about 3-4 times! My notebook helped me. I did a lot of qs too about a month before the exams. There is this site called bench prep.com which has a free 3/4 day trial and have about 1000 qs. I did all those qs in the free trial period :) They were good qs. I also got Kaplan q bank. I did that once..it was ok. I gave the prenaplex and scored 110. the result was pretty close to the actual score 112.
If there is anything specific u want to know, let me know..i think this was pretty long itself! good luck for ur studying! study hard and be confident! U will make it!

Dear PharmT4,

Thank you very very much for your kindness and helpful advice. Congratulations on achieving the final goal !!! Your experiences and tips are wonderfully detailed and very insightful for me to follow. I am sure others will agree that your excellent shared advices will help us pass happily like you and be on the good path to help our sick patients.

Thanks again and enjoy your peaceful nights...My light will stay up until midnights to follow your way.
(You have done a great service to your fellow friends here...Let me know if I can help you with anything.)

Were there any questions that conflicted between various guideline recommendations? JNC 8 is very different from JNC 7 regarding therapeutic choices, and there are differences in terms of risk assessments in the lipid guidelines that are very different from the ATP III guidelines... I'm just worried if i'll answer wrong because I go off one guideline vs another... Does anyone have any insight?
Also, besides calculations for statistics, do we need to know the different statistical tests, chi squared, which test is appropriate, etc? Any pharmacoeconomics? I studied this stuff already but besides basic things I remember from class, everything else flew straight out of my head...

No there were no such Qs regarding goals and guildelines on my test at least. They did ask about non pharmacological choices for 3-4 different disease states.
It's good you have studied the basics for all these biostats tests. I studied the overview too. One never knows, they might ask. I had a lot of other stats!!?!
Also had a few Qs about compounding/ pharmaceutics .. 3-4 basic Qs . Just skim through it once.

Good luck

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! Great post - super helpful. Quick question about the 3/4th day trial with bench press.com - I went on the website and couldn't find anything about this free trial/questions... Could you tell me how you accessed them? Guessing there's a promo code or something. Thanks so much :):):)

Hi Friends!