SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

crack dont work anymore. what music do you use to study

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by bigman43, Apr 28, 2007.

1. bigman43

bigman43 Banned Banned 7+ Year Member

Apr 13, 2007
    :laugh:

this is a serious question. im trying to get into med school, but i cant get myself to focus on studying. what the ****.

any tips?:thumbdown:

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. braluk

braluk SDN Surgerynator Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Apr 30, 2006
    The Big Easy
    For me anything mind numbing helps to study. Music with lyrics tend to distract me as I follow along or listen to the lyrics. I find that classical music, or even like techno or trance or something seems to be good to keep my mind fresh without being distracted. I also read on an MCAT passage somewhere ages ago that musak (or elevator music) was played in office settings during 1-3PM (around when workers drop in productivity) actually boosted productivity

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musak

4. Green Pirate

Green Pirate Neurotic Neuro Enthusiast 5+ Year Member

Nov 13, 2006
    yeah I listen to ambient music and other instrumental genres. it works very well--makes me feel good while studying.

5. baylormed

baylormed On the Search 5+ Year Member

Dec 4, 2005
    Right behind you
    Music in a foreign language can also work. A friend of mine burned a couple of CDs in Chinese for me because I thought it sounded nice (even though I have no clue what they're saying), and it's good background noise.

6. kyidmnmaiv

kyidmnmaiv Member 2+ Year Member

May 13, 2006
    I saw research once saying that listening to music with words while studying is OK, as long as you know the words well (so you're not thinking about lyrics while trying to learn). For me, listening to music that I like and know well can be a reward for starting something I've been putting off

7. Dr.Inviz

Dr.Inviz Banned Banned

Oct 1, 2006
    Adderal.

8. munnabhai

munnabhai Junior Member 2+ Year Member

Jul 27, 2006
    I cant study with any music. Right now I am supposed to be doing homework but have Vivaldi's Winter playing on my computer (productivity is near 0). Its so good I can't focus on my homework.

My motivation is at its highest about 1 or 2 weeks into the semester and rock bottom as the semester comes to an end. I keep telling myself not to calculate "what I need on the final for an A" but I can't help it. I need to go away from the computer if I want to accomplish any work.

9. Vvandenn

Vvandenn Member 2+ Year Member

Jul 16, 2006
    :thumbup:

10. OncDoc19

OncDoc19 MS4 7+ Year Member

Feb 6, 2007
    I also listen to foreign music - old Hindi music and Bollywood film songs to be exact. I have no idea what they are saying but its pretty to listen to and I have a lot of Indian friends to get songs from.

11. inside_edition

inside_edition Waitlisted Member 2+ Year Member

Jul 6, 2006
    same here. i have the most motivation up until the last two weeks of classes. I've observed many of my grades go down from an A- to a B+ to a B in those last two weeks.

12. Green Pirate

Green Pirate Neurotic Neuro Enthusiast 5+ Year Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I totally agree. I'm such a good kid at the beginning.. but if I have an A in the class deep into the semester I feel my motivation waning. It's a dangerous trend.

13. bigman43

Apr 13, 2007
    i just said crack doesnt work anymore. what the hell do u think i was referring to.

14. Dr.Inviz

Dr.Inviz Banned Banned

Oct 1, 2006
    The only crack I know about is crack-cocaine. Better lay off that junk ... :laugh:

15. pcguy2

pcguy2 Minneapolis Master 2+ Year Member

Apr 17, 2006
    Minneapolis
    you meant adderal when you said crack? lol

i drank 3 red bulls and 1 large starbucks of black coffee. stayed up alllll night and didn't get anything accomplished. Sleep more and you study better. Don't sleep less and study worse!

16. baylormed

Dec 4, 2005
    Right behind you
    Yeah, I used to be able pull all-nighters before (coffee only, though). Now, I can't stay awake past 2am. I have officially become lame.

17. Hednej

Hednej ***** Level 60 2+ Year Member

Jun 25, 2006
    This might help:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdZx65JDNMI

I just basically pick out a song that I really like, listen to it 1000 times so I don't pay attention to the lyrics and what not, and then put it on my iPod on repeat, listen to it over and over for hours.

18. baylormed

Dec 4, 2005
    Right behind you
    Haha, I do the same thing. I thought I was crazy. It's nice to know that I am not. Last semester for finals I literally listened to the same song over and over and over while studying...I have the theory that the repetition of the sounds actually help me recall information later, if I just start imagining the song in my head.

19. pcguy2

pcguy2 Minneapolis Master 2+ Year Member

Apr 17, 2006
    Minneapolis
    haha... hope my lectures are recordered. then i can just listen to it over and over and be the ruler of the world!

20. armybound

armybound future urologist. Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Jan 1, 2007
    Uranus
    I study in short spurts. 15-20 minutes, then a 10 minute break, then more studying.

it's worked well for me. I don't find myself just skimming pages without really reading.

21. Angelo84

Angelo84 Tufts Class of 2011 10+ Year Member

Jan 25, 2007
    self bribery. When I finish this section I will have a piece of chocolate...

Good luck

22. baylormed

Dec 4, 2005
    Right behind you
    The problem with me is that I give myself the prize before I finish my work.

23. jochi1543

jochi1543 President, Gunner Central 2+ Year Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    MDApps:
    I actually find that music distracts me. It worked fine in HS, but when I'm trying to get through some dense orgo stuff, it only makes things worse. The material in undergrad simply requires more concentration than I can muster while listening to music.

I find that physical activity is important. I study a whole lot better if I'm working out regularly. Outside of all the other benefits of exercise, it's simply easier to be sedentary and study when you've had an outlet for all that pent-up physical energy.:scared:

I also like to trap myself in places where I'm safe from temptations. For example, I do lots of studying on quiet evenings at work (I work in admin/retail, so my hours are wacky) - there simply isn't anything else to do and I can't find anything more exciting than studying. The public library works too. And I've been traveling for the last 2 weeks, and I've been able to get TONS of studying done on the plane and in the airport - I literally got through half Orgo I in less than 2 weeks. I still have 2 flights and a 2-hour layover left for Tuesday, so I'm hoping to do 2-3 more chapters.

24. Medinsane

Medinsane Music in Asian Form 7+ Year Member

Apr 3, 2005
    OC, CA
    I do this too but mainly because I have the shortest attention span.

I listen to music that I know by heart when I want to stay awake because I can be entertained when I sing it! :thumbup:

What I listen to

25. stixx

stixx 5+ Year Member

Nov 27, 2006

Last edited: Sep 20, 2008
  26. bigman43

Apr 13, 2007
    asprin for the caffine induced headaches? hahahaha been there. i use advil tho

27. schooltill30

schooltill30 Doctor Acula 2+ Year Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Memphis
    This obviously won't work work for most people, but I may as well share anyway. I'm a huge poker fan. I play a lot of online poker (for free, I hate gambling). Being that I'm a naturally tight, conservative player, I'm out of 3/4 of the hands I'm dealt. Gives you time to do one or 2 chem problems, or whatever you're studying for. When playing a big 2-3 hour tournament, you'd be surprised how much you can accomplish...

Music is a huge help for me in studying. I naturally space out a lot, so music gets rid of all the other distractions. I listen to a lot of jam bands, Bela fleck, phish, umphrees mcgee, etc. A lot of really long, drawn out instrumental jams. That's what helps me...

28. ssquared

ssquared Member 2+ Year Member

I like classical when reading, and other stuff when studying. I bust out the 50 cent when I need to stay awake and chemistry is starting to make me nod off. For classical, anything by Vienna Philharmonic, Academy of St. Martin in the Fields, or Boston Pops. But then again, I'm a music nerd. I need more upbeat music when I'm actively trying to memorize things.

Schooltill30, it's awesome that you like Bela Fleck and Umphrees Mcgee. I can never find people who like them. I saw those groups with Marc Broussard last summer....it was an awesome concert.

29. schooltill30

schooltill30 Doctor Acula 2+ Year Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Memphis
    Ya, it's good to find someone who likes good music. Umphree's is going to be in Memphis next sunday for the Beale Street Music Festival. It's going to be awesome! My first Umphrees concert!

30. badasshairday

badasshairday Vascular and Interventional Radiology 10+ Year Member

Apr 6, 2007
    red bull gives you wings!

Or for some hardcore energy, on the verge of crack cocaine, try a red-eye. It is a cup of coffee with a shot of expresso in it. Warning* you may start shaking.....

31. FrickenhugeMD

FrickenhugeMD 5+ Year Member

Amen on the red bull. I've gone through over a case this semester! :eek:

no wonder I dont sleep well.....

32. Vvandenn

Vvandenn Member 2+ Year Member

Jul 16, 2006
    Try to find someone that is selling a higher dosage of Adderall?

33. TPROrgoTutor2

TPROrgoTutor2 2+ Year Member

Dec 17, 2006
    Espresso, lots and lots of espresso. Problem is after a certain amount you need to take a quick nap because it overloads you... thats where Im at right now, goodnight.

34. lina123321

lina123321 ralph: im a unitard 5+ Year Member

Jun 20, 2006
    over the rainbow
    this is exactly the case for me:D :D :D

35. bigman43

Apr 13, 2007
    i have my own hahahah

as a premed i am notoriously good with faking symptoms.
    if only i had prior documentation from my childhood for my mcats:rolleyes:

36. bigman43

Apr 13, 2007
    adderall doesnt really work well anymore, but its sideeffects still are strong as hell!

including: 1) ass breath 2) dizzyness after 15 hours studying 3) ass ASS breath 4) diarrea 5) horrendous gas.

37. baylormed

Dec 4, 2005
    Right behind you
    I used to drink massive amounts of caffeine to keep myself awake, but I don't do that anymore. It makes me shaky, it makes my HR go up, it makes my stomach feel terrible, and in the end it just makes me energetic but not necessarily more alert.

38. bubbachuck

bubbachuck Fear denies faith 10+ Year Member

Jul 10, 2005
    PA
    Awesome piece! A VERY fast version of it is used in Old Boy (korean movie that recently became famous because there's talk of it influencing the Virginia Tech shooter). Also, have you heard Bond's cover of it? It's called "Viva!".

39. Cirrus83

Cirrus83 Too old for this 10+ Year Member

May 31, 2006
    Wow, they actually have research backing this up? I always felt that way from intuition. Like, songs I'd listened to a billion times before and knew the lyrics to wouldn't distract me from the studying, and neither would instrumental music, but if it was music whose lyrics I wasn't familiar with I'd be distracted.

Heh...oh well, guess it's not just me =)

40. SB100

SB100 7+ Year Member

Mar 22, 2007
    Cambridge, MA
    Fortunate for me my favorite type of music is electronic music (I myself spin house music), but when just relaxing or trying to study this is some of what I turn to:

Massive Attack
    Banco de Gaia
    Soulstice
    Kaskade
    Thievery Corporation
    Booka Shade
    Boards of Canada

Lots of trip hop and chillout with minimal electro house. Don't bother trying to define it but definitely find some albums on iTunes.

41. akinf

akinf Senior Member 5+ Year Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Canada
    John Legend
    John Mayer
    Armin van Buuren
    DJ Tiesto
    Cascada
    St. Germain <--- AMAZING!!!
    Common
    Talib Kweli
    Delerium

There is so much good music out there, it is just about sifting through all the stuff you are bombarded with over the radio and finding it.