Crackheads at NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PR_MD

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So check this out...today I check my mail, and saw a letter from NYU. I interviewed there in October, and was hoping to get accepted. Anyways, I saw a thin envelope, and knew immediately that it's not good news.

I opened the letter, and skimmed through the b.s. on how many applications, etc...and came down to the nitty-gritty on the fact that I had been Wait Listed....But check it out, it gets better....

so I was like, WTF, I have been accepted at Cornell, and other places ranked higher than NYU...so I was like this is SO random...but I checked the name of the letter and it's NOT mine...but some random Ms. Pinero....LOL :eek: :eek: :eek:

in the envolope, it had my address and n ame, but the letter was NOT addressed to me....this is NUTS!!!!!

NYU, get your **** together!!!!!! :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Members don't see this ad.

PR_MD said:
So check this out...today I check my mail, and saw a letter from NYU. I interviewed there in October, and was hoping to get accepted. Anyways, I saw a thin envelope, and knew immediately that it's not good news.

I opened the letter, and skimmed through the b.s. on how many applications, etc...and came down to the nitty-gritty on the fact that I had been Wait Listed....But check it out, it gets better....

so I was like, WTF, I have been accepted at Cornell, and other places ranked higher than NYU...so I was like this is SO random...but I checked the name of the letter and it's NOT mine...but some random Ms. Pinero....LOL :eek: :eek: :eek:

in the envolope, it had my address and n ame, but the letter was NOT addressed to me....this is NUTS!!!!!

HOLY **** I was just reading my letter and F*cking A dude, its addressed to someone else!!! to a Mr. Mange, from freaking Pennsylvania! WHAT THE HELL!??? Im not even a guy! and i live in New York!

Yes you are right. How dare they make one mistake out of 5k applications they receive, and something so glaring and damaging like mailing a letter in the wrong envelope too! And these humans expect to run a med school that way?

Members don't see this ad :)
vhawk01 said:
Yes you are right. How dare they make one mistake out of 5k applications they receive, and something so glaring and damaging like mailing a letter in the wrong envelope too! And these humans expect to run a med school that way?

Dude, the waitlist letters only go to people who interviewed, that's a smaller pile, there's no excuse! and hell yeah this is damaging, now what am i supposed to think? friggin ridiculous

LOLL That's some funny stuff. I can't tell if stormpr is being sarcastic as well, but dang that's some funny *@*#

:thumbdown:
vhawk01 said:

LOL...get a better letter merger system. NYU get your **** together.

I have a feeling they made a HUGE...HUGE...Mistake!!!! :scared: :scared: :mad: :mad: :eek: :eek:
I bet tomorrow they are going to get a thousand of calls from people complaining about their letters...LOL...and they are probably going to have to mail them out again! ha ha ha...****in' A for not having their **** organized :smuggrin: :smuggrin:

Turkeyman said:
LOLL That's some funny stuff. I can't tell if stormpr is being sarcastic as well, but dang that's some funny *@*#
Same thing happened to one of my friends - he was waitlisted too...he called just to double check and the admin people at NYU seemed completely unphased by it -they were like, "just disregard the address; the content's still the same."

bump! anyone else out there with this problem??? i hope i can squeeze a pity acceptance out of this.... payment for emotional damages!

ajt2003 said:
Same thing happened to one of my friends - he was waitlisted too...he called just to double check and the admin people at NYU seemed completely unphased by it -they were like, "just disregard the address; the content's still the same."

that's BULL****!!! Bull ****... :smuggrin: :mad: :mad:

PR_MD said:
that's BULL****!!! Bull ****... :smuggrin: :mad: :mad:

this is total crap! im going to go kicking and screaming to the adcom :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I didn't get a chance to check the address. I saw it was a thin envelope and then I promptly set it on fire and peed the flame out.

As someone who has worked with "crackheads" I'd like to comment:
If your were making an analogy between the admissions at NYU and crackheads, I have a few overservations to share. Unlike the admissions commitee, crackheads would never send letters to the wrong address, especially when the recipient is willing to potentially pay them $40,000.
A better analogy would be an over-reacting, nerotic, sleepless, substance-abusing, mailman-hunting, SDN junkie, unappreciative, college-age pre med already accepted to medical school...and a crackhead; there are way more similarities.

Calm down

PR_MD said:

:scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
the1111gal said:
i have an idea
relax and call them tomorrow...

You'd think for a school so rude and unorganized, they would be ranked #1 in the country.

[/QUOTE]in the envolope, it had my address and name, but the letter was NOT addressed to me....this is NUTS!!!!!

NYU, get your **** together!!!!!! :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:[/QUOTE]

You are not the only one. The same thing happened to me too. I am in California. I got the letter today. The letter was addressed to someone else, but my name and address were on the envelope.

in the envolope, it had my address and name, but the letter was NOT addressed to me....this is NUTS!!!!!

NYU, get your **** together!!!!!! :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:[/QUOTE]

You are not the only one. The same thing happened to me too. I am in California. I got the letter today. The letter was addressed to someone else, but my name and address were on the envelope.[/QUOTE]

Yup. Count me in too. I am in New York, my letter was addressed to someone in Hawaii!!! I called the office and demanded that they print out a new form letter with my actual name on it (yes, this is the extent of my neuroses at this point). I got rather upset when she suggested I just follow the directions of the other person's letter, b/c they're all the same. I want my own f*ing letter, after all of the effort and money I've put in, the least they could do it get my name right!!!

morgen said:
I got rather upset when she suggested I just follow the directions of the other person's letter, b/c they're all the same. I want my own f*ing letter, after all of the effort and money I've put in, the least they could do it get my name right!!!

"they're all the same"...Does this mean that the class was already full from December acceptances, and everyone got waitlisted/rejected?

Drdrums said:
"they're all the same"...Does this mean that the class was already full from December acceptances, and everyone got waitlisted/rejected?

That is as it seems to appear....

all i can say is...i hope these ****ers never operate on me...

Farmers said:
in the envolope, it had my address and name, but the letter was NOT addressed to me....this is NUTS!!!!!

I must be the lucky one to recieve the right one!

Mine was addressed to me, but I still think it's a mistake. I think I'm pretty qualified -- 37R MCAT, math major with published research, lots of world experience, lived abroad for 3 years, lots of medical volunteer and humanitarian motivation, and a super personal statement and LORs... Why didn't I get an interview NYU???

aurevoirLA said:
Mine was addressed to me, but I still think it's a mistake. I think I'm pretty qualified -- 37R MCAT, math major with published research, lots of world experience, lived abroad for 3 years, lots of medical volunteer and humanitarian motivation, and a super personal statement and LORs... Why didn't I get an interview NYU???

When did you apply? Was your GPA comparable to the mcat score? I think their apps were up more than they probably anticipated which may have severely hampered the late applicants

jdovez said:
When did you apply? Was your GPA comparable to the mcat score? I think their apps were up more than they probably anticipated which may have severely hampered the late applicants

Hmmm.

Mine is 3.95 and 37. waitlisted.

CarleneM's GPA is somewhere in the same neighborhood. also waitlisted.

Just let it go and move on. I am. :)

sweatybrain said:
Hmmm.

yeah sweatybrain and i have had a lot of success scoring interviews at top 10 schools and both have an acceptance to u of chicago. someone else who got waitlisted at nyu already has an acceptance to cornell. goes to show you never can tell. on a related note, my coworker was rejected presecondary from bu but just got an invite from stanford. it is really worrisome to me, this randomness and inconsistency, but i'm trying to get used to it and silence those voices of self doubt in my head ("you got waitlisted at nyu, you silly girl. no way top 10 is gonna want you, etc")

I'm glad it's not just me... I have similar stats and that waitlist made me very very nervous, since nyu is the lowest ranked of the schools i interviewed at... I guess we'll just all have to keep holding out hope that this is a fluke and not a trend...

boardchic said:
I'm glad it's not just me... I have similar stats and that waitlist made me very very nervous, since nyu is the lowest ranked of the schools i interviewed at... I guess we'll just all have to keep holding out hope that this is a fluke and not a trend...

thanks to you and CarleneM, my ego is less fragile than before.

sweatybrain said:
thanks to you and CarleneM, my ego is less fragile than before.

Why would you want to go to a school that can't even send waitlist letters in the right envelopes? All of you I am sure will get into better schools. In fact, U Chicago is better than NYU. Let it go, its not worth your time...

blump said:
Why would you want to go to a school that can't even send waitlist letters in the right envelopes? All of you I am sure will get into better schools. In fact, U Chicago is better than NYU. Let it go, its not worth your time...

I'm not sure if administrations mistake in sending out letters in the right envelopes is in any way indicative of the quality of their education as other people in this thread seem to imply. They probably screwed up a mail merge at some point so the envelopes and letters shifted.. I too got the wrong letter and the person's last name differs from mine by only one letter.

Although I am curious as to how NYU did their class selection since they seemed to have waitlisted alot of highly qualified people. It also worries me that we haven't heard of any post interview rejections.. so I wonder if they just waitlisted everyone they interviewed???

So how many people intend on staying on their waitlist?

sweatybrain said:
Hmmm.

3.97/35 - waitlisted :( :( :( :(

I WANT TO GO TO NYU DAMMIT.

blz said:
3.97/35 - waitlisted :( :( :( :(

I WANT TO GO TO NYU DAMMIT.

hey dude, if it means anything, I'll withdraw from their WL. Hope you get in.

sweatybrain said:
hey dude, if it means anything, I'll withdraw from their WL. Hope you get in.

thanks dude, haven't had much luck in this process this year. i'm expecting the same from columbia next week.

i read this thread and started immediately thinking "yeah, i met some crackheads at NYU when i interviewed." two M1's that i talked with during the interview day couldn't shut up about how they were wasted from alcohol and weed the weekend before. it could've been a sampling error, but i was not rimpressed by the NYU students i met.

Just wondering... CarleneM and the like who have acceptances at higher ranked schools? Will you be withdrawing from the waitlist as well? I'm afraid this is just the start of my rejections/waitlists and I have a naive hope of maybe getting in off the list at NYU... loved the school and the students and even the crappy co-ed bathrooms at this point. I really want to be there and so I'm hoping if you're all sure you're not gonna go there over Uchicago or wherever else, that you'll withdraw. Of course, this doesn't really help me with the other hundreds of post-interviewees who ended up on the waitlist, but every little bit counts. :)

rugirlie said:
Just wondering... CarleneM and the like who have acceptances at higher ranked schools? Will you be withdrawing from the waitlist as well? I'm afraid this is just the start of my rejections/waitlists and I have a naive hope of maybe getting in off the list at NYU... loved the school and the students and even the crappy co-ed bathrooms at this point. I really want to be there and so I'm hoping if you're all sure you're not gonna go there over Uchicago or wherever else, that you'll withdraw. Of course, this doesn't really help me with the other hundreds of post-interviewees who ended up on the waitlist, but every little bit counts. :)

I really liked NYU and at this point cannot say i'd definitely go to chicago over nyu (especially given chicago's more traditional curriculum) so I am staying on the waitlist for now. However, if i get into a top 10 school (or cornell) I will most likely withdraw from NYU at that point. So, give me a couple weeks...

wow im suprised so many of you highly qualified applicants are so strung out over NYU. I don't see whats so great about the school besides location. Maybe you guys got waitlisted b/c they assumed you'd go to other schools anyway.

exmike said:
wow im suprised so many of you highly qualified applicants are so strung out over NYU. I don't see whats so great about the school besides location. Maybe you guys got waitlisted b/c they assumed you'd go to other schools anyway.

I have to second this. You guys are all awesome candidates and will probably get into better schools.

Btw, add me to the waitlist club. Finally got my letter....miraculously, they got the name right!

Didn't get an interview at NYU but didn't really want to go there anyways. Good luck to all you guys :)

Sweatybrain, your screen name makes me shudder everytime I read it. Where on earth did you come up with it?

stormpr said:
HOLY **** I was just reading my letter and F*cking A dude, its addressed to someone else!!! to a Mr. Mange, from freaking Pennsylvania! WHAT THE HELL!??? Im not even a guy! and i live in New York!

I hope it wasn't in acceptance! :laugh:

ugh, just got my rejection letter today. now to go burn it :)

waitlisted. 36R/4.0. hotness.

that flight to nyc was a waste of money. thanks, nyu. ;)

exmike said:

Was rejected pre-interview, with 37R, 4.0 postbac GPA, 3.7undergrad GPA, not strung out in the least... just think the randomness of the whole process is out of control....or is it just NYU?

exmike, you're probably right about them assuming people with high stats wouldn't choose NYU...I would have enjoyed the excuse to go to NYC again, and see the school, but will be at UCSF in the fall anyway.

Good luck to all who applied to NYU, you probably deserve it more than the rest of us, considering NYU's record here.

im feelin a little underqualified with my 35 right now
what the hells going on here, this sucks!!!!

these ivy leaguers are clogging up the system...

CarleneM said:
yeah sweatybrain and i have had a lot of success scoring interviews at top 10 schools and both have an acceptance to u of chicago. someone else who got waitlisted at nyu already has an acceptance to cornell. goes to show you never can tell. on a related note, my coworker was rejected presecondary from bu but just got an invite from stanford. it is really worrisome to me, this randomness and inconsistency, but i'm trying to get used to it and silence those voices of self doubt in my head ("you got waitlisted at nyu, you silly girl. no way top 10 is gonna want you, etc")

Yeah, I'm waitlisted at NYU too & have acceptances at other great schools like Chicago/Northwestern/Wash U. Since I've only gotten the good news from schools in the south & midwest, I was starting to think from the NYU waitlist that I wasn't "east coast material." But if great applicants like you guys are also getting waitlisted, I'm not worrying!

Good luck during the upcoming weeks! :) :luck:

Me too. Mee too! 48 MCAT, 4.6 GPA. Rejected... Doh! I'm too good for them anyway. I've got acceptances from Harvard, hopkins, St Georges...All the good schools. Screw NYU!

BigRedPingpong said:
Me too. Mee too! 48 MCAT, 4.6 GPA. Rejected... Doh! I'm too good for them anyway. I've got acceptances from Harvard, hopkins, St Georges...All the good schools. Screw NYU!

Oh the arrogance is getting a bit stuffy in here.....for those of you who have stellar "numbers" and have been waitlisted go with your heart. If you really think those other schools you got into are better, then why worry about NYU. I think the dynamics of those of you who are suggesting that you should have been a shoo in at NYU given your numbers and the other places to which you have already been accepted are quite interesting. Perhaps they are looking past the numbers at the whole applicant. Perhaps they have a specific vision of what they want their students to be like. Perhaps they are only accepting a small number at first given the large number of apps they received. Perhaps they are not going to offer initial acceptances to people they strongly think will not bother attending. The fact is, this process is very complex. The view from the other side of the fence is as complex. They are trying to field a the best class they can from among a HUGE number of potential students without trying to give themselves the undo work/negative impact of offering a bunch of acceptances to students that will not attend.

It appears that NYU ended up making a bit of a mistake with sorting the mail. This is very unfortunate given the importance and cost of this process upon the applicants, but it was just a simple mistake. It appears that perhaps the changes going on at NYU (specifically addition to amcas in this case) have resulted in some growing pains. But I think it is very misguided to fling all of this negativity in their direction.

Alas, my diatribe has come to an end. I must really be bored/.......bored. Alright, back to work I guess. But really, give them a break. Its a fantastic school and they are doing a tremendous job of bringing in top faculty and adding amazing facilities (I have a number of MS4 friends moving on to excellent residency programs).

Ok, so a friend of mine told me to check out what everyone has been saying about my prospective medical school. First of all, I understand that they got a few of the waitlist letters wrong, but I think that you all are over-reacting. I interviewed during the last week in January and promptly received my acceptance letter. Friends of mine who interviewed before me did in fact receive rejection letters and the CORRECT waitlist letters (and I had a few friends who were put on the waitlist so I know that I'm not talking B/S over here)

So really, you guys just sound bitter. If you feel so strongly against them just take yourself off of the wait list. Since you're such "wonderful" applicants with good GPA's and MCAT's why don't you just go to Harvard, Cornell and the rest of the east coast schools (ooops, I forgot, they matched your WL/rejection letter properly :laugh: )

So don't take this blow to your already too inflated ego so personally. Stop talking crap like punks over SDN (when you know that NYU is still a top choice for you). So really, get your "effin s*&t" together, get those grades up and take rejection like a trooper (i would do the same, but hey, they let me in!!!) :D

nyuhopeful said:
Ok, so a friend of mine told me to check out what everyone has been saying about my prospective medical school. First of all, I understand that they got a few of the waitlist letters wrong, but I think that you all are over-reacting. I interviewed during the last week in January and promptly received my acceptance letter. Friends of mine who interviewed before me did in fact receive rejection letters and the CORRECT waitlist letters (and I had a few friends who were put on the waitlist so I know that I'm not talking B/S over here)

So really, you guys just sound bitter. If you feel so strongly against them just take yourself off of the wait list. Since you're such "wonderful" applicants with good GPA's and MCAT's why don't you just go to Harvard, Cornell and the rest of the east coast schools (ooops, I forgot, they matched your WL/rejection letter properly :laugh: )

So don't take this blow to your already too inflated ego so personally. Stop talking crap like punks over SDN (when you know that NYU is still a top choice for you). So really, get your "effin s*&t" together, get those grades up and take rejection like a trooper (i would do the same, but hey, they let me in!!!) :D

what an jerk response. its easy for you to speak so smugly with an acceptance in hand from the school under discussion. :thumbdown:

exmike said:
what an jerk response. its easy for you to speak so smugly with an acceptance in hand from the school under discussion. :thumbdown:

yeah, seriously. if that is the kind of person who nyu wants, then clearly its not the school for me.....