crap 17 again!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lopkiu

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My most recent testscore:
BIO:17---AGAIN!!!!!
GC:19 was 17
OC:19 was 19
QR:18 was 17
PAT:21 was 20
RC:24 was 19
I have no idea what can I do about the BIO section, as well always there is those questions that I was not sure, and those that I NEVER saw in my life b4 sigh

Members don't see this ad.

yea i heard the bio is all over the place and alot of random questions. Sorry buddy.

For bio section straight off the bat i marked 12 question i was like holy **** when i was taking the exam, i seriouslly don't know what to do, even one more retake(last one left) i don't think bio section will improve that much. sigh

Members don't see this ad :)
Besides bio the other scores aren't bad. If you don't think you can do better in bio then keep your scores, especially if your GPA is good.

nice improvement ... i have friend that got a 16 in one of the sciences and a TS of 17 and was still accepted. Nice reading comp! Good luck!!

My most recent testscore:
BIO:17---AGAIN!!!!!
GC:19 was 17
OC:19 was 19
QR:18 was 17
PAT:21 was 20
RC:24 was 19
I have no idea what can I do about the BIO section, as well always there is those questions that I was not sure, and those that I NEVER saw in my life b4 sigh

What did you use to study for bio and how did you study. Now, you're getting me nervous b/c if you studied with the same materials as I did and you saw things on the test you never saw before, I'm freaking out! I only have about a month before my test. help me out dude.

I hated the bio section. There were so many random hormone questions and things I had no idea (until I took anatomy). I was under the impression that a general bio class should be sufficient in the knowledge required for the Bio part of the DAT but that is definitely not true. Nonetheless, I got 19 and was accepted at the University of Minnesota :D

I hated the bio section. There were so many random hormone questions and things I had no idea (until I took anatomy). I was under the impression that a general bio class should be sufficient in the knowledge required for the Bio part of the DAT but that is definitely not true. Nonetheless, I got 19 and was accepted at the University of Minnesota :D

I'm only using Cliff AP bio and destroyer for the bio section. Do you think that's enough or should I supplement? Last time I only used Kaplan BB and destroyer and didn't do so well on the bio section. Any suggestions out there?

I'm only using Cliff AP bio and destroyer for the bio section. Do you think that's enough or should I supplement? Last time I only used Kaplan BB and destroyer and didn't do so well on the bio section. Any suggestions out there?

your textbook!

For bio section i used the kaplan blue book as my prim study material, then I read off from DAT achiever, topscore, and destroyer. Sometime i used the internet too. But sigh, as said b4 in the other thread, those usually help ALOT, and it does. But due to the boardness of the BIO section it is really the luck of the draw

For bio section i used the kaplan blue book as my prim study material, then I read off from DAT achiever, topscore, and destroyer. Sometime i used the internet too. But sigh, as said b4 in the other thread, those usually help ALOT, and it does. But due to the boardness of the BIO section it is really the luck of the draw

Personally i dont think that just reviewing those books would be enough. If you read and understand all the material in one of the two books listed in the references u will do just fine. You will definitely improve. GLUCK
http://www.ada.org/prof/ed/testing/dat/dat_reference_texts.pdf

Lucky! That's where I want to go :)

^
without any doubt, having upper level Bio classes gonna help you for doing well in DAT. but it is not the whole story, just check the SDN, you can see people like my buddy "harrygt" or others like mddang and ......have done very well without having upper level Bio courses. for DAT you don't need to know A&P or Cell&Molecular biology, open your general biology text book and know(understand) it cold. you will be more than ok.

Obviously stress and nerves play a big part in your performance but there is definitely a direct correlation between how prepared you are and how stressed you are. I remember being fairly nervous when I went to go take it but I also knew how hard I had prepared for it. Everyone should have some idea of their test taking abilities by the time test day rolls by. As long as you take full length tests under test conditions, you should have a good idea of where you will be scoring. The more you prepare, the less nervous you'll be but you will never be 100% relaxed. Up to this point in our lives, this is probably the most important test we take so you would have to be made of stone to not be nervous. IMO, "the luck of the draw" is NOT what separates someone who gets a 22AA from someone who gets an 18 AA. Your AA may be one point higher or lower based on what version you get but no one guesses their way to a 22AA. Ultimately your the one that is going to have to put in the time and you'll be the best judge as to whether or not you cheated yourself. Like you said, everyone has the same materials.

Can the owner of this thread talk about what you did to improve your RC score? Looks like a pretty drastic improvement, I would be quite interested to hear the story behind that, very well done. Kudos.

"With Winning in Mind" - good book relating to test-day nerves.

Obviously stress and nerves play a big part in your performance but there is definitely a direct correlation between how prepared you are and how stressed you are. I remember being fairly nervous when I went to go take it but I also knew how hard I had prepared for it. Everyone should have some idea of their test taking abilities by the time test day rolls by. As long as you take full length tests under test conditions, you should have a good idea of where you will be scoring. The more you prepare, the less nervous you'll be but you will never be 100% relaxed. Up to this point in our lives, this is probably the most important test we take so you would have to be made of stone to not be nervous. IMO, "the luck of the draw" is NOT what separates someone who gets a 22AA from someone who gets an 18 AA. Your AA may be one point higher or lower based on what version you get but no one guesses their way to a 22AA. Ultimately your the one that is going to have to put in the time and you'll be the best judge as to whether or not you cheated yourself. Like you said, everyone has the same materials.

Personally i dont think that just reviewing those books would be enough. If you read and understand all the material in one of the two books listed in the references u will do just fine. You will definitely improve. GLUCK
http://www.ada.org/prof/ed/testing/dat/dat_reference_texts.pdf

Start reading those books now and you wont finish studying until like 2010. Those are all textbooks there, obviously if someone knows the entire textbook by heart hes gonna do well. The problem is that you can not humanly remember the entire book, hence review books.

I recieved alot of individual pm about my RC improvement, but to be honest this is the only section on the DAT that I didn't not study for. As an ESL, I doubt that I can do much more with my reading ability within 1 to 2 months. The most important thing is the break. Fully use the break to rest your eye, and your brain. Take a walk or use the restroom.

Then once the test beginning read the whole passage once, I know some people read the question that the passage trying to find the answer that is a No-No, I don't really know anyone that did well using that method. The first time you reading the passage u basically are doing 2 things only: get a basic idea where are each topic at, look for the "key pt", something that they can use to make a question out of i.e. if the paragraph have types of diseases listed in it, it will probably be a good idea to remember that paragraph or put a little note in ur paper, don't even try to remember the type of disease, since you can always go back to the passage to look it up. Just remember this almost all the question asked, u can find the exact phase back on the passage, just depend on how hard u look.

The second thing that they ask will be the tone of passage, or the ending how does and what did the author leave the passage with. This part u can't look up, totally based on the feeling u get on the first time reading it.

I hope it help a little bit, good luck on ur RC.

One cool advice that worked for me with bio section. Provided you know the basics, just take Study Manual that comes with Campbell Bio Textbook. It is concise and right to the point (like Shaum's notes) so that you have to read them being focused and without any distraction. It's about 2 times thinner than the textbook itself. It also has a lots of practice tests (with answer key) and nice charts to help you memorize. It's like a short textbook.
If you need to refresh smth, go back to your textbook for clarification. I spent about 2-3 weeks with Bio and got above 20.
Good luck.