Crappy school=low MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DaveC

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For financial reasons I need to take the first two years of undergrade at a junior college and the classes blow so I was wondering if I will probably do bad on the MCAT or should I do well if I study?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, it is hard to say because some people take to the MCAT more easily than others. I know people who went to top colleges and had rigorous classes and struggled to get a 28, and then people at the same colleges who got a 38. From personal experience I can tell you that my Physics instuction was really bad and I am struggling the most with that section right now. And my friend who took physics at the local community college had a great professor and is rocking out that section our our practice exams. So it all depends. If you study hard and test well, I don't think a bad instructor means you're doomed.

I went to city college before going to UCLA and still did fine. It's pretty much up to you how much you put into it. I took physics at UCLA and the professor sucked a$$, they were more concerned w/research then teaching. I had to take upon myself to do more then the assigned homework, I ended up doing almost every problem in the book that had a solution at least twice. I did only the ones that had solutions in the solutions manual, because I could learn on my own what I did wrong. This was because I suck at physics. Some of my city college professors were better teachers then those at UCLA.

It's hard to shoot for a great MCAT score just by "studying" hard for it. Though there are some basic tricks you can pick up with some of the study guides/courses.

What you learn in your college courses are really what will prepare you best. The tests cover so much area of the basic sciences (bio, chem, organic chem, physics), its hard to ask "what do I need to know?". Put a lot of effort into these courses. Do well in them and make sure you at least know the basics. Just because your at a junior college, doesn't mean you education will be comprimised. As Deuce points out, a lot of large, big name universities are research driven, so undergraduate education gets comprimised.

Of course, if your a good test-taker...that'll help.