1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Crappy writing sample score. What does this mean?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by wjin06, May 16, 2007.

1. wjin06

wjin06 Member
    5+ Year Member

Hey,

Can someone tell me what an OK score is for the writing sample? I just got my score back and it was fine, except I got an M on the writing sample, which sounds really low to me. I've never worried about this section before, and I wasn't after I took my test either so it surprised me to see that score. SHould I ask for it to be rescored? And ... does this mean I'll have to retake this test? (I got a 32 with even scores across the board for the rest of the test).

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. FrickenhugeMD

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I am in the exact same situation as you, a 32 M. Im curious as well, as my break down was

VR: 9
    PS: 10
    BS: 13
    W: M

Total: 32 M

what (if anythinga) does this mean?

4. pacificcruiser

Pre-Medical
    Well i'm one more in your situation....

I came out with a 31 M....

I was so sure about those essay's, I really have no idea how I could have scored so low. I'm really not sure what to do.:confused:

5. ParvatiP

ParvatiP Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    From what I hear, the writing section REALLY doesn't matter. As long as you demonstrate in your PS that you can write, adcoms don't care.

6. wjin06

wjin06 Member
    5+ Year Member

Were you guys planning on asking for a regrade? I have no clue how that works

7. wjin06

wjin06 Member
    5+ Year Member

In case you were interested, I just found some info. It'd cost $50 and FOUR MONTHES to get a writing sample regraded. Thoughts? Is it worth it?

8. Nokternal7

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I also got a 32M.

10 PS
    11 Verbal
    11 Bio
    M Writing

Everyone I've talked with says that writing doesn't matter. Still, I feel really bad about an M. I wonder why so many of us got 32M.

9. jochi1543

jochi1543 President, Gunner Central
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Can't say for the 32, but an M is not a highly subjective score (the distinction among R, S, and T is a lot more blurry), because you can't get past a certain score (forgot whatever it equals to, I think O?) unless you address all 3 tasks in both of your essays. So if you had an M, it means that even if you had stellar examples, great writing style, etc in your essay(s), you forgot to address one or two of the 3 tasks in one or both of your essays. For that matter, I think WS is easy to get to the acceptable range, because no matter how poor your writing is, if you can scribble something reasonable re: all 3 tasks, you'll be fine.

10. rcd

rcd .2K Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Not if you're applying this cycle.

11. Schaden Freud

Schaden Freud MiSanthrope II
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    An M is certainly not going help your case (the average for matriculants is a Q, I believe), but I wouldn't risk retaking if the rest of your subscores are good. Just make sure you do a decent job with the personal statement.

12. wjin06

wjin06 Member
    5+ Year Member

An M would've meant I didn't address all 3 tasks for both essays. I took a Kaplan's course and practiced writing at least 8 essays like this, specifically addressing all three topics. If I were to get it regraded, I know i wouldn't have it in time for primaries, but can't yoiu send a different score (if i get one) later since they don't start accepting until the fall?

13. pacificcruiser

Pre-Medical
    I also took the Kaplan prep course and had essays read for me and told they were all in the r-t range. so i'm sure I hit the three points.....

but 4 months is a long time...and if they did not think they were satisfactory the first round i'm not sure the second round will.... tough call