Craptacular pre-med gift ideas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicalbound

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, what are some good gift ideas to add to the Christmas list of a pre-med student? Let's keep it interesting and limit the costs to $50.

I'll start:

American Medical Student Association (AMSA) membership - $30 for 1 yr, $50 for two.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dakota said:
Giant microbes, def. I'm actually nerdy enough to think these are really funny/cool . . . sigh . . .

http://www.giantmicrobes.com/

Ah I can see it now as my wife and kids open their presents on Christmas morn...

My wife: "So, you gave the kids stomach aches and you gave me hepatitis. What the hell were you thinking!"

Me: "I saw these when I was shopping for myself and they were so cool. You don't like em?"

Syph is my favorite. It's got the coolest shape (yay spirochetes) and also servesd as a great joke. "Aww, honey, how sweet? You gave me syphilis! You really do care!"

Dakota said:
Syph is my favorite. It's got the coolest shape (yay spirochetes) and also servesd as a great joke. "Aww, honey, how sweet? You gave me syphilis! You really do care!"

That gives a whole new meaning to "regifting".

medicalbound said:
That gives a whole new meaning to "regifting".

Def. the gift that keeps on giving. Just be sure to pay it forward.

In all seriousness, I actually got one of these as a gift, rhinovirus. He's fairly cute and about as appropriate a gift one could find for me in the $5 range.

Dakota said:
Giant microbes, def. I'm actually nerdy enough to think these are really funny/cool . . . sigh . . .

you are not alone, i have seen those before, they are adorable!

wait, wait, wait....i just called the rhinovirus cute :confused:

Bottle of Valium- $28.50
Piece of mind that comes from not having to listen to them panic over every little thing- PRICELESS

Dakota said:

These remind me of a collection of toys that used to be out called "Germs." They were rubber and came in test tubes... Anyone remember these?

Members don't see this ad :)
medicalbound said:
American Medical Student Association (AMSA) membership - $30 for 1 yr, $50 for two.

Yeah I got that one...mine came with a super-duper-craptacular T-shirt too so now I can display my nerdyness publically :thumbup:

I want a giant microbe! I want the ebola one..I'm a rebel and I've watched outbreak too many times.

You guys forgot the super-cool SDN memorabilia too..

Praetorian said:
Bottle of Valium- $28.50
Piece of mind that comes from not having to listen to them panic over every little thing- PRICELESS

:laugh:

Dakota said:

i really want one of these...okay, i definitley just slapped myself and turned on some espn...still not helping, still want one.... :laugh:

based on the virginity thread, i dunno...a prostitute?
-mota

i hope my wife gives me syphilis.

jbrice1639 said:
i hope my wife gives me syphilis.

Have fun explaining that one to grandma when she asks what you got for Christmas! :laugh:

Our Microbiology Club sells the giant microbes every winter. So far I have Shigella and Rhinovirus! And they are cute! Plus they make for a fun game: Microbe tag!!! Everyone gets armed w/ a disease, and you go around tossing them like dodge ball. You get hit, you got the disease. Then you can have treatments or whatever, but you got to act like you're really sick. Flesh eating sucks, cuz you loose a leg permanently. Uhhhhhhh, I'm a dork.

medicalbound said:
Have fun explaining that one to grandma when she asks what you got for Christmas! :laugh:

for only $5, i can give grandma syphilis too...

I like giardia.

Nothing like a good case of diarrhea to kick off Christmas morning!

How about SDN Angel status! :D

I'd take a big old laminated periodic table.

A friend of mine painted a anatomically correct heart for my other friend who wants to be a heart surgeon - it's actually a pretty awesome gift.

thefafo said:
I'd take a big old laminated periodic table.

A friend of mine painted a anatomically correct heart for my other friend who wants to be a heart surgeon - it's actually a pretty awesome gift.

There was a time that I also wanted one of those big periodic tables, but I wasn't brave enough to admit it. ;)

Best of luck to you at your CU SOM interview. I had mine last week and it went well (from my perspective). Now I get to wait with bated breath to see what they thought of me.

medicalbound said:
There was a time that I also wanted one of those big periodic tables, but I wasn't brave enough to admit it. ;)

Best of luck to you at your CU SOM interview. I had mine last week and it went well (from my perspective). Now I get to wait with bated breath to see what they thought of me.
I have a big periodic table and two placemats. That's right.

I am jealous of you guys, but i also wish you the best of luck. See my post under adcoms trapped under something heavy to see their response to my phone call. Priceless.

medicalbound said:

Thanks! Good luck to you too! Waiting is the worst part of it all. I'm totally brave enough to admit my love of the periodic table - it's so organized, informational, and colorful. :) I am jealous of Periodic table placemats - How cool is that!

I actually have a chocolate periodic table of the elements, and a vegetarian periodic table of the elements. I think my dad has the elephantine periodic table.....

geeks, aren't we?

Dakota said:

hah! I'm actually getting one of these for my best friend. I randomly saw the ad in the back of a Scientific American, I think. lol...I don't usually look at the ads, I guess it caught my eye :)