craziest accepted/rejected stories

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

postbacchus

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
okay... I thought this might be fun for a new thread. Let's post craziest differences in schools from which you were accepted and rejected (or waitlisted). What I'm thinking of is a highly ranked school accepts you and a low ranked school rejects you (i.e. accepted at Harvard, rejected at...Chicago Med (not to pick on it)).

Mine is: accepted at Hopkins, waitlisted at GW.

Yet more evidence of the randomness of med school admissions...

Members don't see this ad.

We all know med school admission is a crapshoot. That being said, I'd have to say mine is:

Accepted by the University of South Alabama, whose stats are all greater than mine (with the exception of the physical science subsection), yet rejected from Albany Med, whose stats are all below mine. I'm sure there are TONS of people with rejections they don't understand. There also are probably TONS of people with acceptances they don't understand either. That's the game!

It's also odd that USA is a public school (I'm not a resident). Albany is private. You'd think my odds at Albany would have been greater.

didn't even get an interview at GW and have gotten accepted at 4 other schools i prefer, got interviews almost everywhere else i applied.... except ucsf who rejected me, but that's not random.

Members don't see this ad :)
This doesn't have anything to do with a comparision between schools, but it is a "crazy" acceptance story. I am hypoglycemic, and the night before my interview at University of Vermont, I didn't have dinner. It was the second day of interviews at UVM, and my first. The morning of, I felt pretty sick, but was so pumped up on adrenaline that I was not only able to ignore how I felt physically, but I wasn't nervous AT ALL either. Before I was called back I was being pretty hyper and trying to keep everyone loose because people were pretty nervous and I wasn't. I go to my interview, it goes well, and at the end of it I stood up to shake their hands...and passed out cold! My heel was hooked around my chair at the time, so somehow I sprained my ankle on the way down. My student interviewer got me some crutches from the health center next door. When I finally got up, I said that I didn't get to shake their hands yet, so we did that, then I left. On the way out, I crutched by the room of all of the waiting applicants, it must have been some sight! I was waitlisted, like most out-of-staters who apply to UVM. In May, I called to find out my status on the waitlist, and they said I was in the "top of the top 1/3". I was accepted in June, but I decided to attend elsewhere.

Not a comparison, but a fun little rejection story. So I get home from work last week, check the mail, and oh look. An envelope. Wait, make that two. Make that three. Three thin envelopes. All from Pritzker, all identical rejection letters. I was like, WTF. Did they just get a little carried away hitting that rejection button, and their machine spit out a couple of extra letters?

I find it kind of funny. Yay Pritzker!! :clap:

Here is my story about my rejectiong from georgetown:

I got the invite for an interview In mid september and it told me I had to schedual by october 1st and interview by the 26st. Well, I teach a class in California every monday, wednesday and friday and there is no way that I could have flown out to washington DC and back in time to interview and make my class. I called them up Sept 25th and told them this, and I would have to interview in december. They told me I had to write a letter to the dean and explain my problem and he might (emphasis on might) consider letting me have an extension. They told me there would be plenty of people willing to take my interview spot, and no one else from California has a problem flying out in the time period that they state. I think this is bull****, but I'll write the letter later in the month. October 3rd, I find out that friday, October 26 my professor will be out of town and my class for that day is canceleed. I try calling up Georgetown to see if I can get an interview on that date. The tell me that since I never wrote a letter to the dean before October 1st, there is no way they will ever let me interview. I'm thinking this is complete BS. So I ask to speak to the person above the secretary who I'm talking too, tell him my story, and he says the exact same thing. He says I probably won't ever be allowed to interview at georgetown. So once I know that he is someone who actually had control of my file, and not someone lower in the admissions committee, I cussed him out and told him this was complete BS what they did to me.

OK, That's my story.

Jalbrekt, you are cool. :)

Jalbrekt, you've got big ones man. I applaud your courage.

Jalbrekt -

I second wolferman - you do have big hairy ones!!!

It's about time some of these arrogant places get a dose of their own medicine!

Originally posted by nitemagi:
•Not a comparison, but a fun little rejection story. So I get home from work last week, check the mail, and oh look. An envelope. Wait, make that two. Make that three. Three thin envelopes. All from Pritzker, all identical rejection letters. I was like, WTF. Did they just get a little carried away hitting that rejection button, and their machine spit out a couple of extra letters?

I find it kind of funny. Yay Pritzker!! :clap: •••

That's one of the funniest ones yet!! I bet you were at least glad they were all form one school and not three different schools!!
:eek:

It's cool Nitemagi. When you get accepted to Columbia be sure to fax Pritzker your acceptance letter THREE TIMES. ;)

Nitemagi - that is good stuff!

Here's my funny admissions story:

I think I may be the only person rejected and accepted in a span of 35 minutes at the SAME school!!!

Well, to sum it up, I did get in, but not without a few tense moments.

I called the admissions office, and was told that I was in line for a second interview (basically a rejection over the phone).

Well, after I almost cried for half an hour, another person from the office called me to tell me I was accepted. The first person I spoke with just wasn't allowed to view the acceptances on her computer since they hadn't opened up the database yet.