1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

craziest thing you've seen a professor do?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by youngnflyy, Feb 21, 2007.

1. youngnflyy

youngnflyy Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Today we had an exam in organic chemistry. After our time had expired, the professor calls for all the exams and begins to count down from 10. After he finished counting there were a few stragglers who had rushed down to the bottom of the auditorium to give him their papers. He took those and promptly wrote a big zero onto them. In his haste to leave he drops several of the papers he had from those of us who managed to get our exams in on time. A girl notices this and tries to hand him her exam that he dropped onto the floor, he takes it from her, looks at it, smiles, and then crumples it up before tossing it across the auditorium. He then exits the room with a mob of angry students behind him. I felt bad for them, but at the same time It was pretty funny.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Schaden Freud

Schaden Freud MiSanthrope II
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Ahhh Professor Caligula... up to his old tricks.

3. MonkeyNuts!

MonkeyNuts! Even Kal has bad days...
    Bronze Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

I fell asleep in an auditorium while a math professor was lecturing. My friend on my right nudges me awake a little while later and I look at him and say "what?" He points to my left and I turn to find the professor sitting in teh seat to my left.

He smiles and asks what I was dreaming about.

4. instigata

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    What a jerk. I had one professor who smoked in class to "show us the nicotinic" effects of cigarettes lol. I think he just wanted to have another smoke. He then pulled out some wine to show us the effects of a depressent. He was lecturing while he swirled his wine glass around :laugh: Some stupid gunners complained to the dean and b/c of that he's not going to teach anymore..sucks

5. MonkeyNuts!

Thers always this guy:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Chuckwalla

Chuckwalla Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Apparently they didn't catch all the Nazis. What a bottom feeding POS.

This thread should be called what is the most evil thing you have ever seen a prof do.

7. MonkeyNuts!

omg people.

that professor was obviously f*cking with his class...

8. MonkeyNuts!

Godwin's Law is alive and well it seems.

9. hmm...

hmm... I yam what I yam
    7+ Year Member

One carefree and usually calm teacher that I had in HS saw two lovebirds "sharing" the answers to an exam and ran over to rip both exams in to several little pieces while yelling at them. He then threw the shreds directly in to the trash. Of course the two lovebirds knew the consequences, but didn't expect him to care. Boy were they surprised! :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. MDizzy

2+ Year Member

An organic teacher at old school (chinese phD) was sick and tired of this kid who interrupted him a lot of times with stupid questions so he stopped his lecture, berated him in front of the class, and told him to get out of the room and withdraw the course. Sure enough, the kid was never seen again.

Another time, this same organic teacher was so upset that people were talking in class he just stopped what he was doing, and left the room without saying a word. He didn't come back to finish lecture.

11. MonkeyNuts!

I had a DiffEq professor who was doing a complicated proof or algorithm or something on the second or third day of class. Total FOB. So he says something like "now you just do the secondary integral just like you learned in kindergarten."

everyone laughed. he looked up and didn't get it.

12. MonkeyNuts!

Walked into class one day and math professor was lying down on a table passed out. Had to wake him up to start class.

13. Chuckwalla

Chuckwalla Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Fine, from now on parking nazis will be known as parking mongols. Feminazis will be femivan the terribles.

Blindly stupid optimism seems alive and well too.

14. acrunchyfrog

acrunchyfrog In memory of Riley
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    In Anatomy my proff started the reproductive section by drawing a 12-foot penis on the whiteboards in startling detail, and proceeded to leave it up there, writing notes on the whiteboard around it.
    ....course, his wife was once a student of his. They met when she decided to flash him in class while he lectured on Basal Metabolic Rate... He's one of the campus faves.

15. WantsThisBad

WantsThisBad Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I had a professor last semester that would loose tests. He lost this girls mid-term who sat next to me. She asked him in the begining of class where it was after he handed everyone else theres back. He told her he lost it but it was " About a B". Needless to say she got pissed and told him that wasn't fair. He got pissed and refused to teach the rest of the class and had us all leave early.

16. WantsThisBad

WantsThisBad Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Good old Basal Metabolic Rate.......it's the bare minimum.....:idea:

17. Raamy

Raamy New Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i see we had the same mam phys I professor last quarter. that guy was pretty funny. i liked how he had an announcement to make during the final: "i just want everyone to know that i am all out of beer. that's all, you can continue..."

18. souslepont

souslepont That's unpossible!
    2+ Year Member

My chem teacher in high school filled a kid's backpack with dry ice. :D

Oh, I almost forgot...the same teacher also had a guy strip down to his boxers for some demonstration on kinetics or something...I don't really remember what it was, but it was pretty awesome.

19. Disinence2

Disinence2 Emergency Medicine
    Physician 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Profesor wore his wirless microphone into the bathroom before class....

20. QuantumMechanic

QuantumMechanic Avatar=One of the Greats
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    My friend crumpled a lab quiz up when he got a failing grade...later in the lab the prof corrected a grading error and told everyone who missed to give their paper back so he could fix it. My friend gave the crumpled paper back, and the prof asked him why the paper was crumpled. He replied, "I was mad that I failed." That pissed the prof off and he recrumpled the paper and attempted to put it down my friend's shirt. All the while, calling my friend "a spoiled little brat." This btw was in front of the entire class. He then took my friend out in the hall and told him to "stop being such a bastard and to never do that again."

That was pretty ****ed up.

21. melissainsd

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I had a bio teacher in HS that did a ton of crazy things:

-He kept an ax handle wrapped in duct tape by his desk. If you were talking in class or put your head down on your desk he would smash the ax handle on your desk. They ended up giving him industrial lab benches because he broke so many desks.
    -He would throw your notes out the window if you tried to write while he spoke. One time he tried to throw a kid's notes out the window but the window was closed and the notes fell in the fish tank below.
    -There were 6 "normal" desks in the middle of the classroom. A guy in front of me turned around to say something. The teacher picked him up (desk and all) and flipped him over!
    -Lastly, the teacher had a REALLY big snake. On parent-teacher night he let it roam free to scare the parents.

Seriously, I graduated from HS in '98 and I still remember this guy. If anyone went to Poway HS you know who I am talking about!

22. melissainsd

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Remembered another one (dating back to middle school). He kept a squirt gun at his desk to spray kids when they were chatting in class. When the year ended I gave him what I thought was a clever gift: a supersoaker. It wasn't until he opened it that I realized the flaw in my thinking. If anyone ever played with supersoakers you remember they need to be pumped. My teacher had one arm.

He ended up putting it between his legs to pump it, but I must have been so red when he opened it!

23. etsuprinthead

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    we had a new biochem prof last semester -- comeplete a--. i had to go on a field trip with a field biology class i was also taking, so i asked him 2 weeks in advance to make up the lab -- there were 3 sessions on different days. he told me no, so i went to the prof of the field class to have him talk to dr. a and then thought nothing about it. apparently the issue got around the whole dep't though, because the next week in class i got a 20-minute cussing in front of the class about trying to "play politics," but he wouldn't be "intimidated by some da-n junior or senior or whatever you are." when i started crying (i was MAD), he decided to be nice and said "don't be mad, be happy" -- trying to save face, i guess? then he tried to be all buddy-buddy the rest of the semester, maybe because he figured out that i could extract DNA and run a spectrophotometer a ---- of a lot better than he could. or maybe because he found out that, as a new prof, he was even lower on the food chain than i was.:mad:

24. pedsdoc2b

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Craziest thing I ever saw a professor do... someone broke his thermometer in orgo lab, and the professor cleaned it up with his bare hands. Most of us just stood there gaping. There go all those lessons about chemical safety...

25. jaycee

jaycee New Member
    5+ Year Member

During my first year g chem class the professor stopped the class and asked a couple to stop making out and also said that chemistry is not the most romantic topic.

26. MirrorTodd

MirrorTodd It's a gas.
    Physician 10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Our chem professor stuck electrodes into a socket with his bare hands. It was pretty funny to see his reaction.

27. armybound

armybound urologist.
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Rumor has it one of the professors in my department as an undergrad (neuroscience) starts off his comparative neuroscience class by holding up the Bible and talking about how it's not science, then holding up Darwin's Origin of Species and saying it's the truth.

At a baptist university.

I hear most of the class walked out when he did that. I never experienced it, though.

28. novawildcat

novawildcat Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

lol that is nothing, most of the old school chemistry professors are insane. a lot of them used to wash their hands with things like benzene and carbon tetrachloride after finishing up in the lab.

craziest thing I have seen a prof. do was probably drink liquid nitrogen

29. Droopy Snoopy

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    :laugh: Did a double-take on that one. You mean a real snake, right, like hiss hiss? I hope so.

30. the12thmd

the12thmd Scooter rider.
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    youngnflyy - I see you're from Huntsville. I went to Grissom High, what about you?

31. PeripateticMD

PeripateticMD Peripatetic
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    okay, so this isn't crazy, but a little scary. We had this gen physics professor - a 87 year old Jesuit - who still hand wrote everything (he didn't even have a computer in his office). He was trying to show us something about centripedal force, so he stood on this dolly thing and spun himself around putting his arms in and out. We really thought he was going to die. So much so that a student ran up to stop him and told him he'd do the demonstration instead - which the professor let him do. For the rest of the course, this student did all the physical demonstrations - just to save the 87-year-old Jesuit.

Oh_Gee likes this.
  32. dshnay

10+ Year Member

umm right, and I use dry ice in my iced tea

33. gujuDoc

10+ Year Member

Medical Student, Resident [Any Field]
    I have a professor right now who always needs to smoke during class. But he deals with it in a better manner. He gives us a 15 min break since its a 2 hour class. That's when has his smokes.

Really nice guy and a good professor too.

As per crazy teacher stories, most of mine come from highschool and middle school. I've never had any unprofessional professors who've tried to do something as vindictive as your professor stories did.

However, back in the day in my middle school there was a teacher who was very creepy. This lady couldn't hack teaching so she'd give us busy work and literally have no lecture at all. People would be throwing paper spit balls and all sorts of things and instead of sending the bad students to get disciplined by the referrals and suspensions she just let it continue. I think she was miserable with life and couldn't hack teaching but needed a job so she still did it.

In highschool there was this guy who was a math teacher at my school. Then he transferred to the new school upon which I learned he was making sexual passes at students. Thankfully he got fired for it.

I've had professors who've taken points off for not putting section or TA name in ochem but not vindictive like the way you described.

34. gujuDoc

10+ Year Member

Sounds like an interesting professor. I had a cell bio professor who would take the music of several different songs and write biology themed songs to those tunes. He'd stand up in class and sing these songs before the students and even made it an extra credit assignment for students to come up with one of their own like that. One student came up with one to the theme of Baby Got back. Then the professor came into class with a wig and cane and long plaid coat and actually performed to it.

35. psipsina

psipsina Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    An undergrad proff of mine overheard a student make a snide remark about the handouts we were picking up before the class started and he totally flipped. He climbed up upon the podium and started screaming like a maniac, totally wacked out. Another undergrad proff declared that after a poor performance on an exam (due largely to the fact that he couldn't teach, and started the course two chapters ahead of where the first half had ended (it was a two semester course) despite being told that we had no idea what was going on) that he was no longer going to teach us because we were obvioulsy too dumb to learn anything from him! He would work one problem on the board and then leave, I made a special deal with my dean to drop the class despite being passed the drop period!

36. novawildcat

novawildcat Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

he was able to drink liquid nitrogen because the thin saliva film in his mouth protected him from any harm, and it only takes a few milliseconds for the liquid nitrogen to boil off.

btw, dry ice in your ice tea wouldn't be bad at all, it will just give it some carbonation.

37. DocBR

DocBR MS-3
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I had a professor who was disgruntled with the administration of my school give the entire class a final grade of A+ at the end of the semester because we brought in 400 teddybears for a christmas drive.

It was an Upper Div science course too.

38. Nickelpennykid

Nickelpennykid New Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Anthro professor who wrote about the cultural implications of child birth processes told our class, in great detail, how he had sex with his wife in the hospital in an attempt to induce labor. Even went so far as to describe the way he had to have sex, because as he noted "she was too fat to do it missionary"

39. DocBR

DocBR MS-3
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student

In my Ochem lab I accidently spilled a tiny drop of 10M sulfuric acid on my glove and it ate right through the glove (I got it off before it burned me). Anyway, I was telling the guy next to me what had happened, the TA over heard me, and said "That rocks! lets do it again" so she put about 8 or 9 drops of it on a glove that no one was wearing and stretched it out about 10 feet until it broke. A few drops of the acid had hit the chaulk board about 15 feet away and burned indentations into it.

I have a feeling she will one day burn down a lab....somewhere.

40. gujuDoc

10+ Year Member

If a TA did that at my school it would be cause for automatic dismissal!!

41. albaniandoc

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Ahh, I remember that last semester. It was painful.

By the way I am taking Cell Bio right now and he still sings karaoke. It's hilarious 'cause he can't sing for ****.

My crazy story is about this Ahole professor that had recently graduated and thought that he discovered America. Anyway, we were in lab and this girl calls him over and refers to him as mister (last name). His face turns red, turns to her and starts yelling: How dare you call me mister. I have done 8 years of graduate work to be called a doctor. When you work half as much as I did you will feel differently. He made the girl cry. What a dick this guy. My only C. Had to retake the damn class. I still hate him.

Once in Albania, we had this crazy language teacher that carried a long metal ruler around. I used to have this nervous habit of clicking the pen. She told me a couple of times to quit it and I did for a few minutes and then since it was a habit I would do it again. She walked by and smacked across my knuckles with the big metal ruler. It hurt like hell. I thought my fingers were broken.

42. Surferboy

Surferboy basileus
    10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    At UCLA our main walkway through campus is called Bruinwalk and it's a popular place for protests and demonstrations. There was an active Christian speaker who was standing on a chair with a bible screaming out random verses. The general chem professor walked by him and grabbed the speaker's briefcase and ran away haha.

One of my friend's professors wrote **** on the board on the first day of class. He then proceeded to say "Yes, I can say that's science and you would believe it"

43. gujuDoc

10+ Year Member

Damn!! I had a friend who was raised in Jamaica several years ago when I was a measely college sophomore taking genchem. This girl told me in Jamaica the parents and teachers would do all sorts of things that would be considered abuse here like starting fights in the middle of class. I don't know how things are in Albania but many foreign countries don't have all the regulations and laws we have. I've also heard the ruler slap thing used to be used in a lot of catholic schools. Again don't know much of it though.

P.S. have you decided where you are going yet or made any leeway in figuring out what might be better fit for you in that direction?

44. gujuDoc

10+ Year Member

BTW: this semester that class isn't as painful ya know. ;)

He's got no homeworks after all. LOL. Just a group project which isn't too bad.

45. albaniandoc

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    This happened right after the fall of communism so the whole country was in chaos. I don't think anyone paid attention to teachers laying their hands on students.

Anyway, I am waiting to find out about the full scholarship. There are some tax issues since it is a private donation and might have some limitations. If I can only get a certain amount I might have to go with USF. If the whole tuition is covered I might go with Miami. Still undecided.

46. lankan108

lankan108 Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    my intro bio professor's laptop got jacked my some student at the end of lecture. The next lecture he came in and gave this long rant about how he was getting the FBI involved, which ended up being a bunch of bs and he never got the laptop back. here is the link of the video of his rant...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GUZRM67nZY

47. albaniandoc

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yep, seen that one before. He is so full of ****. I can't imagine anyone believed him.

48. OP
    OP
    youngnflyy

youngnflyy Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

lmao that is really funny! :laugh:

49. OP
    OP
    youngnflyy

youngnflyy Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm originally from Georgia, I'm in Huntsville for undergrad.

50. xylem29

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    ho ho - just noticed your avatar..TDot represent biatches!