crazy?: choosing ucsd over harvard?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Alexander99 said:
A little response to your first point. Aren't you forgetting about someone? He'll have at least one guy that won't be easy to top. ;)

My bad. DoctorKevin always likes to be on top, and it would be quite hard for somekevin to get on top. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry, but process has been misspelled in your signature for the longest time... Can you please, please, please fix it? Thanks...

P.S. Go to UCSD. There is nothing like having a support system to help you through this tremendously difficult time. For your goals, UCSD would suit you just fine...

bearpaw said:
who are we kidding? Everyone here who is telling you not to go to harvard did not get in...get the opinion of someone who actually got in there. I am sure there's a revisit or something.

I say go to harvard. Its not exactly a no brainer, its going to cost you some money, but it is harvard.

Are you all kidding me? Everyone on this site is the opposite of people in real life. I honestly doubt any of the people here if they got into harvard would turn it down as readily as they claim. Harvard for duke on a full ride? Yeah, i can see that. But UCSD? No one who is premed and good enough to get into harvard cares enough about weather to turn down a top school based heavily on that. Stanford over harvard? sure, why not.

seriously, all this rooting for the underdog school is just too fake.

And the kid getting a DO? do you know what you're doing? i mean, its like you're being a martyr for a worthless cause. Good luck with it. you really don't care about prestige, you're probably going to work for free or near it eh? you're a better man than i in that capacity. do people ever ask you "What DO you DO?" haha. Reminds me of Rushmore ("these are O-R scrubs"..."OH ARE they?!").

i am like shocked. seriously. if you worked so hard to get in to harvard, don't waste it now. don't flame me either, i am just saying what EVERYONE ELSE IN THE WORLD would be thinking. haha, i know you're going to harvard, you're just throwing a bone out to the rest of the world.

[munches on bone]

:thumbdown: :snorting pig sound:

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, what a privileged position you are in, kevin. Last year I was agonizing over similar decisions as my choices came down to between a private school in NYC and UCSD. I chose UCSD mainly for its closeness to family and my interests in primary care. Both Harvard and UCSD are great schools and will get you to places you want to be (plus it seems that you have the stamina and smarts to follow through). My advice is to go to places where you'd be happy. I have some classmates who turned down UCSF and Stanford to come here so at the end, it is stuff outside of medicine that will make a more complete life. To me, since I've been away for college and work, I realized that I really miss family and friends.

As for +30 hrs. class time, the majority of my class don't go to all the classes. And as you will find out, each class dynamic is different, our class is super chill and for some reason, our MS4s have a lot of interests in psychiatry. What is encouraging is that some of my classmates are very involved. Though we have 2 tests coming up in Monday, we have a few students going down into Mexico on a medical trip and won't return until late Sunday night. And we always are looking for good people to be involved with the Student-run Free Clinic. You are welcome to pvt me for more questions and I will try to be more alert in checking my pvts. Good luck!

Z.

bearpaw said:
And the kid getting a DO? do you know what you're doing? i mean, its like you're being a martyr for a worthless cause. Good luck with it. you really don't care about prestige, you're probably going to work for free or near it eh? you're a better man than i in that capacity. do people ever ask you "What DO you DO?" haha. Reminds me of Rushmore ("these are O-R scrubs"..."OH ARE they?!").
Yes I know what I am doing and it happens more often then you think. I'm not a rankings ***** and believe there are more important priorities in my life then going to the best med school.

Perhaps if I had no life, was a harcore sniper-type gunner, didn't really care about my gf or family and only cared about specializing in the most prestigious of all specialties such as derm, I may have gone to all my MD interviews just to have the chance of going to a highly ranked med school. No offense to those that may be like that, but that's just not me.:D :thumbup:

Jalby said:
My bad. DoctorKevin always likes to be on top, and it would be quite hard for somekevin to get on top. ;)

:confused: :confused: is this another gay joke? :rolleyes:

About boards scores, I don't know the average but they do have a 100% pass rate many years I've heard. I don't think the actual average board score matters... just as rankings and average MCATs and all this other **** doesn't matter.

Eraserhead said:
:confused: :confused: is this another gay joke? :rolleyes:

If it was, it was really sad. Sorry Jalby, but I think med school has drained you of a sense of humor. I hope I never lose mine :D

Jalby said:
How do you know this? From personal experience? :D

go to harvard...

"support system... weather... " that stuff does not compare to harvard's prestige in the real world... yeah a lot of people on this forum will say prestige doesn't matter... but it does... having HMS on your resume will make a difference for the rest of your life... i have friends that will tell you there stories...

if you change your mind about going into primary care in the middle of med school... you will wish that you went to harvard, which would have allowed u to pick pretty much any residency you wanted...

When you are in the middle of finals week at UCSD surrounded by cut-throat classmates all trying to get honors... you will wish that you went to harvard

When you finish your basic science finals at the end of the 2nd year at UCSD and realize that you only 10 days to study for Step 1... you will wish you went to harvard

you see...you will have more regrets about turning down harvard than benefits from going to UCSD

But whatever... this is just my opinion
best of luck.. you are a smart kid but hopefully you don't make the biggest mistake of your life :)

Depends on the type of person you are.

If you value your friends, family, gf, etc. sincerely, then I would advise you to choose where the heart is--UCSD (it seems).

I remember I had to make a similar choice when I was picking where to go undergrad (I know choosing undergrad is totally diff from choosing med, but just listen). I chose to stay close to home over Duke, Columbia, and UPENN. Haven't regretted it one bit.

During my short 20 years of life, there was a time when I lived 3000 miles away from my home, family, and friends for 2 whole years and although I had a great time, it also made me realize how important family and friends are to me.

One of the above posters made a comment about how you can meet a hotter, better girlfriend at Harvard...obviously this poster does not value relationships at all.

If you value relationships and having your loved ones close to you, UCSD is still a GREAT program, and a wonderful option.

I'll be applying to all the California schools next year, but i'll apply to some schools in the east coast as well--just for back up (perhaps Harvard as well). But I know that if I had to choose between UCLA/UCSD med and Harvard/JHU/Columbia/UPENN/etc., I would choose UCLA/UCSD HANDS DOWN.

Obviously to many SDNers--who worship school reputations--using Harvard as a "back up to UCSD" sounds ridiculous. However there are people like you and me, who have prioritized family+friends ahead of reputation.

I lived in the east coast (NY/NJ area) for 11 years and now live in California...and I will tell you straight up that, NOTHING beats Southern California...Boston, NY, NJ, got nothing on CA!

Just my random $0.02

Eraserhead said:
I don't think the actual average board score matters... just as rankings and average MCATs and all this other **** doesn't matter.

Board scores are the number one determining factor for what residency you get. If a school has people coming in with a 3.78 GPA and 33 MCAT and doesn't have high boards scores, that definately is saying something.

Jalby said:
Board scores are the number one determining factor for what residency you get. If a school has people coming in with a 3.78 GPA and 33 MCAT and doesn't have high boards scores, that definately is saying something.

That is certainly not true. The number one factor for determining your residency position is debatable, but IMO it is who you know, and who is willing to write letters and make phone calls for you. It is much easier to get into a great residency if you have a well-known and respected faculty member backing you. It's even better if the said faculty member has personal connections to the program you're interested in. While board scores play a role, they are usually used as a general cutoff, not as the single deciding factor for residencies. Residency programs are not looking for people with only booksmarts -- they are looking for people who also have strong clinical skills and "streetsmarts", which is where the letters of support come in handy if you've managed to impress a faculty member in the clinical setting.

IMO, UCSD is a good school, but Harvard is a fantastic school. Yes, it depends what your career goals are, but keep in mind that most people in medical school change their career goals at least once during their training. I would recommend going to a place that would give you the most number of options. Harvard will open many doors for you -- not because of the name, but because of who you will meet and work with while you are there, and the connections those people have. You can still do primary care or peds from there -- they have some of the best peds programs in the country. Don't get me wrong -- you can certainly do well at UCSD, but it will be harder for you when you get to the residency application process.

I'm also a big believer in going where you will be the happiest. If you truly think you will be happier at UCSD, and you are not so interested in the high-power academic programs in the future, then by all means go to UCSD.

Members don't see this ad :)
bearpaw said:
who are we kidding? Everyone here who is telling you not to go to harvard did not get in...get the opinion of someone who actually got in there. I am sure there's a revisit or something.

Okay, I was going to stay out of this one, but I'm going to risk it...

I did get into HMS, and I am going. That being said, my advice to you is to do what your heart tells you, which sounds like UCSD. Here's why:

1. I also went to Harvard College, and knew tons of kids who were completely severed from their family and social networks. This is obviously much easier to adapt to at 18 than at 22, and many of them still suffered. A Harvard sweatshirt is not enough to get you through the at-times stifling social and academic atmosphere when you're thousands of miles from anyone who truly cares about you. I believe it's one of the reasons that the college alone has at least 1 suicide a year, and the grad schools as well. Harvard is not a warm 'n fuzzy place, so be aware of that.

2. Even though the above is true, I love the school. It offered me opportunities that I know for a fact I could not have gotten anywhere else in the *world* (Oxford and Yale be d*mned, lol). You will be exposed to the people who shape the world, and you will understand this country, this culture, and this social framework in a completely different way just by being around the intellectual elite who run it. This will probably get my a$$ flamed, but it's hard to believe until you've seen it. (note, this does not mean Harvard=smartest people in the world, everyone else is dumb. DO NOT take it that way.) I also made some amazing friends there, but I believe it was harder than it would have been elsewhere.

3. I'm from Maine, and HMS is actually the closest med school to my family that I applied to (lucky me). I did not apply to UCSF or Hopkins. Why? All the reasons you've named. I refuse to spend 4 years of the most productive part of my life away from the people who made me who I am. However, going there will prob result in me breaking up with my bf (we met there, but he's from the south, loathes Boston weather and will never go back). My philosophy on that is, if we can't survive distance, it's not meant to be. So, I would suggest focusing on your fam rather than the girl, unless you just shotgun marry her, sling her over your shoulder and bring her along. :D

Anyway, I have more I could say, but that's a start. Kevin, you gotta go where you're going to be happy, and Harvard is not a place that can make you happy unless you already are. Take care buddy, and think hard!!!! :)

To piggy back on what the previous poster said, no, you would not be crazy. I was accepted to Harvard, but I will NOT be going. And from the perspective of a Yalie, the "unique" worldview alluded to above is NOT an exclusive product of Harvard, but that's neither here nor there. At Yale, we have our share of suicides as well, not because this institution is alienating in and of itself, but due to the enormous pressure some people who come here face (self-inflicted or otherwise).

I am from Los Angeles, so from that perspective, the Northeast is not the most appealing place in the world, but if my family were out there, it would easily become so. Thus, I understand your bind.

I am in the situation now where my family wants me to attend Stanford, simply because it is close (relatively) to home, and it is very enticing to give in to that pressure, because my family is my heart, first and foremost. HOWEVER, being here at Stanford this weekend has shown me that I would be sacrificing my livelihood if I attended this institution. So now the question becomes, which sacrifice will be most cost-effective, from a purely cost/benefit p.o.v. That said, I think you should seriously consider whether or not UCSD is the place for you, academically AND otherwise, which from your post, I glean that it is. And if you are able to trust yourself and your decisions, I say go to UCSD and never look back. As it's the looking back that could eventually make you crazy...

AJM said:
That is certainly not true. The number one factor for determining your residency position is debatable, but IMO it is who you know, and who is willing to write letters and make phone calls for you. It is much easier to get into a great residency if you have a well-known and respected faculty member backing you. It's even better if the said faculty member has personal connections to the program you're interested in. While board scores play a role, they are usually used as a general cutoff, not as the single deciding factor for residencies.

But residency positions are slanted towards applicants from med schools in particular regions. If this is the case, then it might be better for you to get to know prominent people in the San Diego area to improve your chances of getting a good residency spot in California.

For you, it seems like UCSD has Harvard beat in the following areas:
- peds/family medicine
- working in underserved areas

On the other hand, Harvard has great opportunities for research, competitive specialities, and academic medicine. The real question here revolves around UCSD - if you went to UCSD, would you still have opportunities to go into academic medicine/high powered specialties? I think you would and given all of your other preferences, it sounds like UCSD would be a better fit for you.

BTW, your profile says that you got a scholarship from UCSD - is this enough money to affect your decision making process?

Best of luck with your decision and the UCSF waitlist.

klooless said:
HOWEVER, being here at Stanford this weekend has shown me that I would be sacrificing my livelihood if I attended this institution. So now the question becomes, which sacrifice will be most cost-effective, from a purely cost/benefit p.o.v.
Sacrificing your "livelihood"?

merle said:
Sacrificing your "livelihood"?

Wow I'm curious about how having Wednesdays COMPLETELY OFF and having 5 YEARS to do 4 years worth of work is sacrificing livelihood? :confused:

Eraserhead said:
Wow I'm curious about how having Wednesdays COMPLETELY OFF and having 5 YEARS to do 4 years worth of work is sacrificing livelihood? :confused:

Some ****ers are never happy. :smuggrin:

Jalby said:

im confused about what you are trying to say. yes, board scores are very important. but are you implying anything bout either school?? :confused:

No to Harvard, absolutely crazy!

Well here are my 2 cents.

You say you want to do Peds/FM. I can tell you that the majority in my class who told everybody they were going to do primary care in their first year ended up not doing it when they got around to there 4th year. Out of those who actually did go into primary care I know of 3 or 4 that are now doing second residencies in rads/derm/ophth. Of the ones that did stick it out, almost all of them are in academics. There is a reason that certain specialties are have far more applicants and it is is not just money or prestige. Primary care is not all that it is cracked up to be. Of course you are not going to believe me until you actually do it, but I would not choose a school based on what you think you maybe going into.

Location- well in med school it pretty much sucks up four years of your life so IMO location is not that important. Sure I would rather be in San Diego than Boston for the weather. But Boston offers many things that San Diego doesn't so it might be a good experience. I grew up in SoCal and I thought it was the greatest place in the country to live when I was in high school/college. I ended up going far away for med school and living in different parts of the country really changed my perspective. Now I can't see myself ever going back there to live.

Can I ask why didn't you consider UCLA since you were accepted there? That would almost seem like a better compromise on reputation/location.

as far as why sd over la, i felt more comfortable at sd for a few reasons..i felt ucla folks, living all over, were a bit isolated and that the school also lacked a place where students actually congregated outside of class together. Also, I'm just not a big fan of LA in general. Nonetheless, I know they do have a better reputation, probably a more student friendly curriculum, and also a very nice new hospital opening so I dunno...LA is still in the mix- its just that all things considered, im not sure id be happier there than in sd.

anyhow, ill prob sit down and try to compile a pro con sheet for these last few schools (hms/sd/la/duke) and see how it goes from there.

Goober said:
Well here are my 2 cents.

You say you want to do Peds/FM. I can tell you that the majority in my class who told everybody they were going to do primary care in their first year ended up not doing it when they got around to there 4th year. Out of those who actually did go into primary care I know of 3 or 4 that are now doing second residencies in rads/derm/ophth. Of the ones that did stick it out, almost all of them are in academics. There is a reason that certain specialties are have far more applicants and it is is not just money or prestige. Primary care is not all that it is cracked up to be. Of course you are not going to believe me until you actually do it, but I would not choose a school based on what you think you maybe going into.

Location- well in med school it pretty much sucks up four years of your life so IMO location is not that important. Sure I would rather be in San Diego than Boston for the weather. But Boston offers many things that San Diego doesn't so it might be a good experience. I grew up in SoCal and I thought it was the greatest place in the country to live when I was in high school/college. I ended up going far away for med school and living in different parts of the country really changed my perspective. Now I can't see myself ever going back there to live.

Can I ask why didn't you consider UCLA since you were accepted there? That would almost seem like a better compromise on reputation/location.

Bro (hopefully you are a guy) I think you already made up your mind for UCSD and i can't say I blame you. For me Med school is more about what fits you best and in many ways your gut feeling seems to be leaning towards UCSD which is a great school in its own respect. Harvard is harvard, as pre- med many of us would not dream of turing down the greatest med school on the planet but when it really comes down to making that decision a lot of factors come into play. The school you go to does not define who you are-however it is always nice to choose one in the top 20-you just have to decide what works best for you. I am in a similar situation and it appears that I would be giving up Columbia and Duke to go to UCLA because i believe i would be happier there. By going to UCSD you would not be wasting your ridiculously good stats-by the way kudos on MCAT performance-and you will do great wherever you decide to go. If it makes you feel any better, just try and convice yourself that the reason you chose UCSD was for their scholarship :D but I believe you will be making a great decision either way. Go Bruins :rolleyes:

To the OP: I noticed on your MD applicants profile that you were a church group student leader. I'm going out on a limb to say this, but I suspect that there are bigger things on your mind than prestige in this world. I completely relate to this, and am assuming that your faith is what is impacting your desire to remain close to your family and to help the underserved. Just wanted to encourage you to remain strong and to not let prestige be the deciding factor in your decision. God has gotten you this far, and I have no doubt He'll continue to bless you.

I definitely understand your desire to be close to your girlfriend and your family. Being in close proximity to the girl will definitely ease any strains that being a medical student might put on your relationship. In addition, your family will be easily accessible during those inevitable times of stress when you really need someone there to comfort you. I definitely have respect for the fact that you're keeping your loved ones in mind when you make this decision because this decision will inevitably affect their lives as well.

That said, I STRONGLY urge you to reconsider Harvard. Should you at any point in the next 4 years decide that primary care is not for you, you will have virtually no problem getting into any competitive residency coming out of Harvard (I'm assuming you'll tear up the board exams just like your tore up every single exam UC Berkeley threw at you, the MCAT exam, etc). Putting prestige and rankings aside, there are just some intangibles that come with a Harvard education...and you simply cannot get these benefits from UCSD. For instance, the alumni network at Harvard is probably one of the most powerful and influential alumni networks in the country...I think this will REALLY come in handy when it comes time for the residency match. As another poster mentioned above, who you know helps when it comes time for the match. Secondly, you'll be interacting with the future health policymakers and leading researchers in the medical field...if you choose Harvard.

I'm sure that UCSD offers GREAT research prospects...but I think Harvard can offer more in terms of facilities, opportunities, faculty support, etc. In addition, you mentioned that you would like to affect health policy in one of your posts in this thread. I think Harvard will open up MANY more doors when it comes to working in health policy...then again, I have no empirical evidence to support this...I'm just giving my opinion.

As another poster mentioned above, you worked really hard and EARNED the Harvard admission. This really is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and God knows how many premeds out there would gladly give up their firstborn child in order to be in your shoes and facing the same decision. Ultimately, both schools are absolutely amazing and you'll get a STELLAR education at any one of the schools you're choosing from (UCLA, Duke, UCSD, Harvard, etc). Overall though, I think you might like the added perspective of being in a new location (that's nothing like CA) and meeting the absolute creme of the crop among the nation's premedical students.

Once again...congratulations for being in this position!!! :D Really...hats off to you man...what you've accomplished at such a young age is absolutely amazing. I wish you the best of luck at **insert the med school you attend here.** (Not that you even need luck...as evidenced by your stats. ;) )

zer0el said:
To the OP: I noticed on your MD applicants profile that you were a church group student leader. I'm going out on a limb to say this, but I suspect that there are bigger things on your mind than prestige in this world. I completely relate to this, and am assuming that your faith is what is impacting your desire to remain close to your family and to help the underserved. Just wanted to encourage you to remain strong and to not let prestige be the deciding factor in your decision. God has gotten you this far, and I have no doubt He'll continue to bless you.
Yeah, I agree. You are getting a lot of disagreement about your inclination (perhaps soon to be decision). I'd support your decision to go to one of the other schools -- but I also really would support your decision to attend UCSD.

It's not impossible to maintain a relationship with your family and your girlfriend from across the country. On the other hand, I find that the further "abroad" I've gone, the more willing I am to consider staying "abroad." When I first set out, I thought I'd end up going to college in California, staying in California for med school, and living in San Francisco. I ended up going east for college, stayed east for med school, and although I'd like to do a residency in California, that market is tight and I'm also slowly becoming more willing to consider many other places. Perhaps if you go to Harvard or Duke, this will become more apparent to you. The first move kinda conditions you for the next one, and there are a lot of other places in the country that you could end up. And if you go after the prestige, one thing does lead to another -- and I will say that prestige is a big idol in med school. It's a continuous lesson, learning not to be controlled by it.

Eraserhead said:

Sometimes happiness is not merely a function of days off. But in terms of the sacrifice previously alluded to, Stanford has some problems with minority recruitment, which would make my attending the institution slightly uncomfortable.

Truly a personal issue, but a significant one nonetheless...

Look this thread is plain silly. Forget about all this God blessing you stuff. The fact of the matter is that you don't know where you will end up after medical school, so you should go to the school that offers you the most choices. Now obviously the OP is very smart and motivated, and he will undoubtadly get into whatver residency he choses to given his past performance. But that's not the point. You simply do not turn down the chance of a lifetime, going to the TOP medical school in the world, and yes I mean the world, so that you can stay close to family. If your family loves you then they will support the move, you can still see them atleast once a month anyhow, and if your gf is the one and you are meant tobe than she will supoortit as well and you will make it work. Yes you would be crazy to give a Harvard acceptance up to go to UCSD. Regardless of anything else, you will see your family plenty, and anyone on this thread knows full and well they would jump at a HMS acceptance over anything no matter what. Your loved ones will support you, and everything will work out even if you are far away, you should strongly , and I must emphasize, considor HMS.

klooless said:
Sometimes happiness is not merely a function of days off. But in terms of the sacrifice previously alluded to, Stanford has some problems with minority recruitment, which would make my attending the institution slightly uncomfortable.

Truly a personal issue, but a significant one nonetheless...

Really??? About 15-20% of each class at Stanford are underrepresented minority students. I thought that was pretty good in the minority recruitment arena... :confused:

I grew in Socal and my entire family and gf at the time were in Socal when I applied to med school. If I told my parents that I was choosing UCSD over HMS so I could be closer to them and my gf, they would have taken me outside and started smacking me on the head with large trouts or other pieces of meat. :D

somekevinguy said:
plesase keep the opinions coming. thanks!

I do not think you are crazy at all. LIke the prevoius author, go where you will be happy. Harvard and UCSD are very different schools in terms of culture, geographic location, diversity, demographics, etc (I know cuz i lived in SoCal and went to H), so if New England life is not your style, choosing a place close to your family, sig other, etc is very legitimate. The last thing you want is to be at Harvard and regret your decision for 4+ years... Really, both are top schools anyway and any differentiation between the two is just being petty and obsessed w/ rankings. Good luck! :)

Xmulder said:
The last thing you want is to be at Harvard and regret your decision for 4+ years... :)

Do you actually know anybody that regretted their decision to go to HMS?

I have know some people that regretted going to Harvard College, but not HMS. Maybe I haven't met enough HMS grads.

I was stuck for several months trying to decide which school to go to, and here's what finally really helped me decide:

Get comfy and close your eyes. Imagine yourself going to Harvard. Imagine how you'll celebrate when you've finally made the decision. Imagine telling all your friends and family where you're going. Imagine being at the school. Imagine being surrounded by all those brilliant people. Imagine going to class 20 hours a week. Imagine being in Boston. Imagine the 4-5 months of snow and sub-freezing temperatures. Imagine everything about it. Imagine the possibilities that going to Harvard will open up for you for the rest of your life. Imagine always saying "Harvard" when people ask you where you went to med school.

Now just feel that for a second. How does all that make you feel?

Now repeat the process for UCSD. Imagine having decided to stay in California. Imagine how your gf and family will react when you tell them. Imagine being in La Jolla. Imagine walking to and from classes on that campus. Imagine going to class 30+ hours a week. (I don't know that much about UCSD, so I'm not sure what all you should imagine, but you get the idea.) Imagine everything you can about the idea of going to UCSD. Imagine working in the free clinics (if you think you'll do that.) Imagine saying "UCSD" when people ask you where you went.

Sit with that for a bit. How do you feel?

In the end, I realized that I felt that I "should" go to the cheaper school or the bigger name school, but that there was one school that I really really wanted to go to. I realized that when I told my friends about that school, I got all excited and my eyes lit up. I realized that when I thought about celebrating having decided to go to the big name school, I imagined getting drunk and having a crying fit in the ladies room of a bar, then managing to suck it up and be "happy" with my choice.

I'm not saying don't go to the bigger name school.

I'm saying go to the place that excites you the most and where you think you'll be happiest. Listen carefully to your own limbic system, and do what it says.

that's some of the best advice ive heard yet. thanks everyone for giving well thought out and honest opinions. ill let you know where i end up.

zer0el said:

my fellow lakers fan...you're pretty perceptive :). I'd say you hit the nail pretty much on the head and what I'm trying to sort out now is if I really feel called to either one (ie if ucsd is just the more comfortable, easier choice whereas hms is the step of faith or whether those things that make ucsd more "comfortable" are signs i should head there come fall).

skg

AJM said:
Really??? About 15-20% of each class at Stanford are underrepresented minority students. I thought that was pretty good in the minority recruitment arena... :confused:

I am a black woman. Plainly, there are ZERO black women in the current first year class (2 black males). I personally don't consider that "pretty good."

klooless said:
I am a black woman. Plainly, there are ZERO black women in the current first year class (2 black males). I personally don't consider that "pretty good."

I didn't get to interview with that many top schools, but yeah I can see how Stanford could be a problem for African-Americans. Also UCSD- where I think there may have been zero. Cornell on the other hand, looked much more well-rounded.

oh i guess i'll post-- i just wanted to comment that when I visited UCSD I swear I could count the number of black people I saw on one hand. But what really surprised me, not being from SoCal (though i went to school in the Bay Area), I expected UCSD to be swimming with minorities (hispanic/latino to be more precise) and in the med school class I saw just as many as I would have seen in the Northeast. That was weird to me, because I thought if anywhere, they would have been represented more there.

Anyway-- SOMEKEVINGUY-- we definitely met at Duke second-look. Cali is Cali and will stay that way until you come back. Maybe you should experience Harvard/Boston for 4 years (how long is that?) and I'm almost positive you'll be MONEY if you want to go back to SD for residency.... and if you go to harvard, you'd probably be able to go to the Bay Area for residency as well (SF, Stanford). My point- H will open more doors; you have the opportunity- take it!

*u2

klooless said:

Okay, well that's different. Most of the URMs at Stanford are Hispanic... you didn't specify in your previous post that you were looking for African-American classmates.

Keep in mind that Stanford's class size is very small (86 per year), so there is inherently a large amount of variability in percentages of different minority students from year-to-year. Therefore, you are on shaky ground if you make a blanket statement on the culture of minority acceptance of the school based on the ethnic makeup of a single 1st-year class. (for example, about 10% of last year's graduating class at Stanford were African-American, including 3 black women -- maybe that's not enough for you, I don't know). But then again, maybe you would prefer a larger school where the percentages of African-American students are more predictable year-to-year....

AJM said:
Okay, well that's different. Most of the URMs at Stanford are Hispanic... you didn't specify in your previous post that you were looking for African-American classmates.

Keep in mind that Stanford's class size is very small (86 per year), so there is inherently a large amount of variability in percentages of different minority students from year-to-year. Therefore, you are on shaky ground if you make a blanket statement on the culture of minority acceptance of the school based on the ethnic makeup of a single 1st-year class. (for example, about 10% of last year's graduating class at Stanford were African-American, including 3 black women -- maybe that's not enough for you, I don't know). But then again, maybe you would prefer a larger school where the percentages of African-American students are more predictable year-to-year....

From what I have seen and heard, Stanford heavily recurits minority applicants--Blacks, Hispanics, and Native Americans. Other than Harvard, from my personal experience, Stanford has the most URMs in its classes (percentage wise)

-Harps

Harps said:
From what I have seen and heard, Stanford heavily recurits minority applicants--Blacks, Hispanics, and Native Americans. Other than Harvard, from my personal experience, Stanford has the most URMs in its classes (percentage wise)

-Harps

I was astounded by the minority makeup of Cornell.

u2psalm40 said:
oh i guess i'll post-- i just wanted to comment that when I visited UCSD I swear I could count the number of black people I saw on one hand. But what really surprised me, not being from SoCal (though i went to school in the Bay Area), I expected UCSD to be swimming with minorities (hispanic/latino to be more precise) and in the med school class I saw just as many as I would have seen in the Northeast. That was weird to me, because I thought if anywhere, they would have been represented more there.

*u2

At second look for UCSD med you could count the number of black people with one hand? Try the whole undergraduate class. A few weeks back, I was playing some basketball and there were 4 black guys there. I had literally never seen 4 black people in a single day while at UCSD until that day.

UCSD med (and I guess undergrad for that matter) is not too concerned with diversity in their class. I guess they truly care about what students are qualified, which is a good thing. Affirmative action is supposed to be illegal anyway but I'm convinced UCSF does it.

I would suggest that you don't choose a school based on your future goals (such as what specialty you think you will end up doing) because those change most of the times(unless of course you are going into academic medicine but even then all the places you list are good enough for that). I would say the same about what you like currently when it comes to location. As humans we grow as time passes and maybe you will grow out of wanting to stay in California or San Diego. Maybe you would like to experience something different and grow in other ways.

If your relationship is strong but you think that the long distance will kill it then i definately would suggest you stay there.

If i were you, i would choose Duke. But i see that right now you seem that you will be happier in San Diego. You don't want to go to Harvard or Duke and end up being unhappy (which will directly impact your perfomance).

Think about it in these terms : When you wake up in the morning which school would you be the most excited to be at.

I do know people who turned down Harvard for other schools and i have friends who turned down scholarships for Harvard. But all of them will justify their actions and they all seem to be happy.

I know that it seems like a hard decision. But in the end you are going to be a doctor. Right now you are just choosing the best way for you to get there.
As it seems you will be the happiest at UCSD. It's easy to see why : great school, full ride, your friends and family there ... I would say go there!

Congratulations on your truly remarkable success. I am certain that you are going to shine wherever you decide to go.

(side note : Another poster mentioned that you only take the advice of those who were accepted at Harvard. Although i find that comment *****ic, i was accepted at HMS.)

Success follows happiness; happiness does not follow success.

You have to go where you have a support network, friends, family, and a comfortable grasp on what is important to you. At the end of the day you have to do what is good FOR YOU and and if it's going to Harvard to build your CV then do it, or if it's being home with those who care, then do it. My gut says go UCSD and don't look back!

okay, seriously, this is what you do...write each school down on a sheet of paper...then put them in a hat (or some other paper holding type container) the pick one out of it...that is the school you'll go to...if you find yourself disappointed that you picked that one, throw it out, and pick from the three left....again, if you find yourself disappointed, throw it out....then, from the two left, pick one....aaaaand, if you find yourself disappointed, you know where you're meant to go........

ZephyrX said:
I would suggest that you don't choose a school based on your future goals (such as what specialty you think you will end up doing) because those change most of the times(unless of course you are going into academic medicine but even then all the places you list are good enough for that). I would say the same about what you like currently when it comes to location. As humans we grow as time passes and maybe you will grow out of wanting to stay in California or San Diego. Maybe you would like to experience something different and grow in other ways.

If your relationship is strong but you think that the long distance will kill it then i definately would suggest you stay there.

If i were you, i would choose Duke. But i see that right now you seem that you will be happier in San Diego. You don't want to go to Harvard or Duke and end up being unhappy (which will directly impact your perfomance).

Think about it in these terms : When you wake up in the morning which school would you be the most excited to be at.

I do know people who turned down Harvard for other schools and i have friends who turned down scholarships for Harvard. But all of them will justify their actions and they all seem to be happy.

I know that it seems like a hard decision. But in the end you are going to be a doctor. Right now you are just choosing the best way for you to get there.
As it seems you will be the happiest at UCSD. It's easy to see why : great school, full ride, your friends and family there ... I would say go there!

Congratulations on your truly remarkable success. I am certain that you are going to shine wherever you decide to go.

(side note : Another poster mentioned that you only take the advice of those who were accepted at Harvard. Although i find that comment *****ic, i was accepted at HMS.)

I think that was a very rational and good way to go about thinking about it. After taking the location (environment and city) and future career factors out, I think the only thing really drawing me towards SD is family/gf.

The main things drawing me towards HMS would then be classmates/curriculum/challenge/opportunity. (pretty vague i know).

And Duke is cool..i liked it a lot but a few of the docs I know that i really respect have not had the nicest things to say about Duke so that makes me hesitate. Ultimately, despite the significant monetary diff, I'm thinking I may enjoy/be challenged by HMS a bit more... (between HMS and Duke that is)

Oh and camstah, as far as that technique...SD or HMS, Id be happy at either one and so I'm not sure if it would work so well but thanks :)

somekevinguy said:
I think that was a very rational and good way to go about thinking about it. After taking the location (environment and city) and future career factors out, I think the only thing really drawing me towards SD is family/gf.

The main things drawing me towards HMS would then be classmates/curriculum/challenge/opportunity. (pretty vague i know).

Just to throw another factor out there ... I have friends at HMS interested in primary care who complain that the resources are definitely not geared in that direction. And I remember my interviewer wanted to do a summer primary-care project in southeast Asia, and was dissatisfied with some aspect of how well HMS supported it (that was his answer to my -- "are there any aspects of HMS you haven't liked?" -- question). If you look at the Medicine - primary care rankings, I think UCSD is top 5 or top 10, while HMS is not in the top 50.

Personally I have never really thought much about a career in primary care so I don't know how much of a factor this is to consider ... but maybe something you should think about.

i sense that a lot of people are making assumption that if one is interested in subspecialty, ucsd is a definite disadvantage over hms.

i am not sure if this is true: if you look at the match-list from both ucsd and hms, with exception of large number of hms students matching in dermatology, ucsd students match to many sought-after specialties. Of course, hms has many more students matching to residency spots at harvard hospitals (for obvious reason) and other other "top" positions, but that should not apply to somekevinguy.

wherever skg goes, he will most likely do very well. if he goes to ucsd and changes his mind to neurosurgery, going to ucsd is not going to prevent him from matching at ucsd or mgh.

this is what i think: for those making the tough decisions about medschools right now (i am going through this as well - hms vs ucsf), i suggest taking a reductionist approach. simply put, choose the place where you can see yourself excel.

we all know that prestige matters, but it's secondary. how you perform at medschool is the most important thing. with that in mind, one should choose the place that offers the most ideal conditions for you to do well while in medschool. if this involves being near your family, gf, the weather, or whatever else, then you should go to that school.

i am not sure about this, but i think only disadvantage you will really have as you choose ucsd over hms is if you change your mind and decided to do derma or neurosurgery at hms hospital, hopkins, columbia, or other eastcoast powerhouses. this is probably just because as a ucsd student, you simply would not have as much chance to get to know people from those schools, and they dont know many people from ucsd. but if you want to do derma or neurosurgery at ucsf, stanford, ucla, ucsd, or UW, i think going to ucsd over hms will not necessarily put you at disadvantage. key is that wherever you go, you need to do well just as you did at Cal.

best luck,

cy

Alexander99 said:
UCSD med (and I guess undergrad for that matter) is not too concerned with diversity in their class. I guess they truly care about what students are qualified, which is a good thing. Affirmative action is supposed to be illegal anyway but I'm convinced UCSF does it.

I went to UCSD for undergrad and yes I am African American and UCSD should start caring about creating diversity. People of color are qualified for spots at schools of higher education and just aren't getting them..and good for UCSF if they do practice Affirmative Action cause everyone should...if only you know what it feels like to be the only one in your class that is black..men or women...geez..arrogant people these days!!!!

peace

P.S. I just had to say my piece about UCSD. I know this thread wasn't about that but still...you may carry on now