Crazy Days as a Pre-Med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BloodySurgeon

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought it would be fun to post up some crazy or fun stories we had as a pre-med. Therefore, to keep this from being off-topic, these stories need to pertain to either your pre-med classes (chem/physics/bio,etc.) or any process leading to med school. I'll start....

1) Showing up to a 7:00am orgo lab totally wasted
2) Working in the orgo lab stipped down to my boxers since my partner spilled toxic chemicals on my clothes.
3) Walking into a 300+ lecture hall to find out that you were the only one to dress up on holloween (freshmen mistake, but still funny as hell)

Members don't see this ad.

1) Biology exam the next day...I stayed up studying until ~4:30am, at which time I decided I had time to catch 3-4 hours of sleep. Well, I overslept for my 9am exam by waking up at 9:20am, and then putting on shoes and running as fast as possible to the science building. Thankfully, the professor let me take the exam at 1pm with another section of the class without deducting any points.

2) During finals one time, I didn't get sleep for almost 3 days straight, except for the occasional nap here and there, which doesn't do much after a while. I took 3 finals during those 3 days. I am still alive, but I will never (hopefully) do that again.

3) I was riding my bike to the science building one day, in a little of a hurry because the professor from my previous class always let us out 4-5 minutes later than she should, and I had daily quizzes to get to. I was going through a little area where there were a lot of people, and suddenly I see another bike coming straight toward me. None of us could move anywhere (because of the people), and we didn't apply our breaks on time. I will leave the result up for you guys to figure out (don't worry, no one was badly hurt, but we were both highly embarrassed).

# 3 :laugh:
The same exact thing happened to me! I had a head on bike collision with another biker on my way home to get my Micro book so I could go back to the lab to study. I wasn't hurt badly but man, was it embarassing :oops:

Needless to say, my bike is now retired...may it rest in peace.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh man, I can't think of any exciting stories right now, other than my regular bed time going from 10pm up to 2am.

So my freshman year my roommate (who had a 4.0 in his previous quarter) convinced me that the secret of his success was getting high before he studied. He reasoned that if you could memorize things while high, that you could recall them at a higher efficiency rate than when not high.....Anyway long story short we got really high before the night before our g-chem final....we ended up thinking it was a good idea to start playing Madden, and ended up playing Madden until 7 am in the morning.

Needless to say, I ended up dropping the class about 2 hours before the final.

So my freshman year my roommate (who had a 4.0 in his previous quarter) convinced me that the secret of his success was getting high before he studied. He reasoned that if you could memorize things while high, that you could recall them at a higher efficiency rate than when not high.....Anyway long story short we got really high before the night before our g-chem final....we ended up thinking it was a good idea to start playing Madden, and ended up playing Madden until 7 am in the morning.

Needless to say, I ended up dropping the class about 2 hours before the final.

:laugh: :laugh: btw was this lavelle's gchem class?? (im guessing ur at ucla from ur sig...)

The day before my first class, I decided to enjoy my last day of freedom by hitting up a local bar. I hooked up with this hot girl. Next day, I walk into class and what do you know! The hot girl was my professor. Interesting year. True story.

The day before my first class, I decided to enjoy my last day of freedom by hitting up a local bar. I hooked up with this hot girl. Next day, I walk into class and what do you know! The hot girl was my professor. Interesting year. True story.
Yes, this one time in band camp I hooked up with a camp councelor and she turned out to be a daughter of my biochemistry prof. and then I hooked up with a librarian behind the stacks and she turned out to be a wife of the same professor and mother to the band councelor with whom I had previously hooked up, and I got an A in that class too, I guess both the daughter and the mother had positive things to say about me to the professor.

Similar story. Hit up a party the week before class and found this guy passed out in a dimly lit corner of the place, so I helped him up and found him a sober ride home (all as he puked on me) So I started classes the next week and the guy turned out to be my prof. Noice...:barf:

Similar story. Hit up a party the week before class and found this guy passed out in a dimly lit corner of the place, so I helped him up and found him a sober ride home (all as he puked on me) So I started classes the next week and the guy turned out to be my prof. Noice...:barf:

did you get an A?

Senior year, 3 finals in 2 days, no sleep for bout 4 days straight...
After writing the last word on my last final, I passed out in the student lounge for 12 hours. Woke up at 3 in the morning and went home to sleep some more.

1) Biology exam the next day...I stayed up studying until ~4:30am, at which time I decided I had time to catch 3-4 hours of sleep. Well, I overslept for my 9am exam by waking up at 9:20am, and then putting on shoes and running as fast as possible to the science building. Thankfully, the professor let me take the exam at 1pm with another section of the class without deducting any points.

Stayed up all night studying for 9am test, at 8am I take a 20 minute nap and wake up at 10:30. Its a second year course, and I have terrible senioritis, so I didn't even care. The final term test is tomorrow morning at 9am.

Oh ****, I just realized the term test isn't tomorrow.. its in 8 hours. yay

Members don't see this ad :)
1) During finals one time, I didn't get sleep for almost 3 days straight, except for the occasional nap here and there, which doesn't do much after a while. I took 3 finals during those 3 days. I am still alive, but I will never (hopefully) do that again.

Senior year, 3 finals in 2 days, no sleep for bout 4 days straight...
After writing the last word on my last final, I passed out in the student lounge for 12 hours. Woke up at 3 in the morning and went home to sleep some more.

Holy crap, I can't see how anyone could do these things?! I mean I've stayed up for pushing 40 hrs straight, but to go take a test following what you guys did... I can't fathom. My brain really starts shutting down around the 36 hr mark (caffeine becomes useless). A guy I lived with who was army active said the military requires you to get at least 3 hrs in a night "to function as a normal person". I realize as a physician long nights come with the territory, but hopefully nothing like that. Wowzas.:eek:

1) 3 finals within a span of 26 hours during my first semester of college. Turned out alright though.

2) On the second-to-last day of finals week, went to a party celebrating the end of finals...except I was the only one there that still had a final due the next morning. Left party at 2:00AM. In my altered consciousness, I finished my take-home final. Turned it in at 5:00AM. Left for the airport at 7:00AM. It was all good.

3) Sophomore year, finished studying for the orgo final at 1:00AM and was about to go to bed when one of my friends called, begging me to help her study for the same final. Ended up staying up with her till 7:00AM even though I had already finished studying. Got 2 hours of sleep instead of 8 hours and couldn't solve any of the creative-thinking problems on the orgo final.

1) Showing up to a 7:00am orgo lab totally wasted

I don't have any crazy stories to share, but I had my first quiz section of the new quarter today. This was the first time we met our TA for the QS/lab. As he is passing out the quizzes he says "Oh, and don't show up drunk to lab. It's happened before, and it's not cool." This thread immediately popped into my head... You don't/didn't go to UW by any chance did you? :laugh: :p

In an orgo lab where we used butyric acid (has a very pungent cheese odor to it), I got a little spilled on my glove-covered hand and had washed it off. However, it proceeded to continue smelling two days later :eek:

Oh, and something ironic just happened in orgo lecture. They're building a new science complex on my campus, and right now there are blasting advisories all over the place so they can lay down the pipes, etc. So one day in lecture my professor was talking to us about acyl azide and TNT happened to be brought up (the nitrogen connection). Anyway, as he drew the structure for TNT we heard a blast and the entire lecture hall vibrated. I guess you could call it good timing :D :thumbup:

...there are blasting advisories all over the place so they can lay down the pipes... we heard a blast and the entire lecture hall vibrated. I guess you could call it good timing :D :thumbup:

And that's what she said. ;)

I still think seeing my lab partner point out that our gen chem prof was doing something exceedingly stupid (heating a closed container which exploded a few seconds after the warning) was the highlight of my premed courses. Of course, the fact that the proof was covered in blue stains afterwards might have something to do with it.

Freshman year I had a 7:30am genchem lab on Fridays. Everyone in my dorm partied on Thursday nights, but of course I was in bed sleeping happily because I had an exam in lab the next morning. My roomate came in around 1:30am and forgot to lock the door behind him. He woke me up when he slammed the door shut and as I was going back to bed I herd a rustle behind me so I turned around. I saw the a silhouette of a face, but it looked a little strange (my bed was bunked so I was at the persons eye level when they were standing up). All of the sudden I herd a trickling noise...the bastard was pissing on my futon!! I scream, "Oh Sh$%, WTF are you doing". By the time I got off the bunk and turned on the light, I could see that the silhouette was my neighbor, naked and covered in shaving cream (I guess he had passed out so my brilliant hall-mates stripped him and covered him in shaving cream). He looked over at me for bit and then proceeded to pass out on my floor and vomit on my carpet for a bit. Needless to say I did not get any sleep that night and ended up with a urine-filled futon, a puke-filled carpet, and a spattering of shaving cream all over my room. I still see the guy walking around campus and try to give him a dirtier look every time I see him.

This year I had a final at 7 P.M. on the Saturday of the OSU-Michigan game. Who has Saturday finals? Well my school does...

If youre from Ohio or Michigan, you fully understand that that was unacceptable. So I went to BW3s at noon with my notes in hand. My table was on their 6th pitcher of Blue Moon when I went to take the final. I don't really remember taking it, but I got an A in the class, so I guess it turned out alright. :cool:

I hope you asked for a letter of recommendation.