1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

crazy verbal questions/passages

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by duck2005, Apr 18, 2004.

1. duck2005

duck2005 Member
    5+ Year Member

I. passage on social security
    1. would the author suggest further reform to deal w/ the long-term problemos?
    2. the reforms of the 80s did what?

II. passage on effect of image schemas on future innovations
    1. did u get self-inflating airbags as an answer

III. passage on ice ages
    1. did u say something about the evaporation/rain cycle as an answer

IV. passage on morality/science/religion
    1. did u say "faith can be a creative force" for one answer

V. passage on psuedoscience
    1. did you say the antidote shows that discoveries in real science can be as exciting as pseudoscience

VI. passage on birds/wasps determining the gender of offspring
    1. what did u say is a "similar phenomenon" as that describe in the passage
    2. what is least likely to increase the male:female ratio of warblers(birds)

VII. bear ecocenters
    1. what the hell?!?!
    2. what of the 3 choices did u say counts as an ecocenter

VIII. france
    1. did u say something about wealth being owned by urban industrialists as weakening the authors claims about the elite (author said they were landowning folk and industrialism decreased their power)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Marvin O'Connor

Marvin O'Connor Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Social Security:
    1. I put further reforms.
    2. ???Something about stabilizing the fund?

Image Schemas:
    Yeah, I put airbags.

Ice Ages:
    I really don't even remember having this passage.

Morality/science/religion:
    Yes, I put that one.

Pseudoscience:
    I put that one, too.

Gender determination:
    1. Can't remember. What were the choices?
    2. I think that's what I put.

Bears:
    This was the stupidest passage.
    I said the salmon because it is available at the same time every year, it is always in the same place, and because it would be worth the trip energetically (which the berries would not).

France:
    I think I said that. Was it the one that said something about the urban people disdaining people from the provinces? If it was then that's what I put because I don't think it really mattered what land you owned so long as you owned land.

4. NubianPrincess

NubianPrincess Perpetually Bored
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Wow, I didn't have ANY of those passages!

5. Kazema

Kazema In a kingdom by the sea
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Gender Determination
    1. I said the multigenerational households in times of economic hardship, because it was like the birds when there wasn't enough territory for couples to have their own area, so they stayed in the nest and helped their parents.
    2. I don't remember what I put for this one.

Bears
    1. Yeah, stupid.
    2. I put salmon too. I remember reading something about establishing a social hierarchy or something like that so I figured it's more likely that would happen with fishing for salmon.

I think I had the same answers you put for the other ones but I'm not sure. I always forgot the questions from the VR section pretty quickly after the practice exams too :D .

6. dpill

dpill Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

These sound like most of the same questions I had (I had form AM). This section was SO much harder than I expected. I don't even remember how I answered most of the questions. What did you think of the VR compared to the other sections? I did fine on the practice tests but this kicked my @%** I rushed through the last sections! :scared:

7. Marvin O'Connor

7+ Year Member

Oh yeah! I put the multigenerational households thing too.

dpill, I felt like PS was not THAT bad, I just got strapped for time. VR was a pain. BS I thought was extremely hard. But we'll see. I had form AH.

8. txguy

txguy ...
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think its crazy you guys remember all those passages and questions!! :eek:

9. akalin24

akalin24 Member
    10+ Year Member

I recall a question from that passage that asked what benefit did the Yellowstone dumps provide!

I think the choices were..

Allowed the bears to interact better with humans
    Provided an overlook area for scientists to evlauate the bears
    Allowed the bears to travel smaller distances for food (I chose this one, this was explicitly mentioned in the passge) but I'm not sure if it was a trick question?
    Some other wacky choice.. I can't remember

Thoughts.

10. So was the schemas one. I had form AK and did not have a passage on ice age though. Why in the world do they so many different versions :mad:

11. Marvin O'Connor

7+ Year Member

akalin:

The answer you put on that question doesn't ring a bell, but I know I didn't put either of the first two answers. So if the other choice was really wacky, I'd say that is right. I think the other two answers are wacky too. But I could be way off.

12. Doc Martins

Doc Martins Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I didn't get any of those passages... I had one about colonial studies, dinosaurs, abstract art, and the rest is a blur.... :confused:

13. duck2005

duck2005 Member
    5+ Year Member

i put something else about the bears. the bears, i think, travelled LONGER distances to get food. the passage talked about how the assurance of food compensated for the longer distances they had to travel..so i def didn't put that as an answer. i also didn't put any of the other 2 you mentioned, so im gueesing i picked the "wacky" 4th choice.

14. Mahi

Mahi Member
    10+ Year Member

i put the same one as you, it said the dumpster made it easier for the bears to get food, so i figured they traveled less...

15. Biobabe09

Biobabe09 Junior Member

Yeah I had the one with the colonial studies and abstract art...I thought the passages were more boring than any I have had on any practice test. Oh well...

16. akalin24

akalin24 Member
    10+ Year Member

That's the way I understood it. The question asked what BENEFIT did the dumps provide to the bears. At least for me, the answer I chose was the only one that made sense.

17. duck2005

duck2005 Member
    5+ Year Member

more questions:

I. social security
    a. did you say the 80s reforms decreased the gap b/w receipts and outlays?

II. morality/science/religion
    a. for 2 questions, did u say something about how faith is required before science (one was like "faith can be a creative force")

III. glaciers/global warming/etc
    a. what did you put for the last question about "which of the following questions does the passage answer"?

IV. psuedoscience
    a. for 2 questions, i put an answer that said something like "science can be as exciting as psuedoscience"

V. birds/gender determination
    a. remember any questions from this one? something about airport construction...crazy passage.

VI. bear ecocenter
    a. the bison falling off the cliff- does that show again how human action can influence bear junk

18. MD Rapper

MD Rapper Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

man i barely remember all this! I remember choosing the airport answer though....

19. akalin24

akalin24 Member
    10+ Year Member

I chose the bison falling off the cliff. I think that answer choice said something about how bears and humans competed for food?? Does that ring a bell?

20. akalin24

akalin24 Member
    10+ Year Member

I also picked that choice for the social security question.

21. nnguyen72

nnguyen72 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

[Form AM] Did anyone remember one of the last discrete question on BS section.
    "Some animals are known to have the ability of skin respiration. Humans cannot do this becuase human skin is"
    I. too thick
    II. too dry.
    II.capillary wall...something

What did you guys put for this one?

22. nnguyen72

nnguyen72 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Birds / gender:
    This should have been in BS section...
    Question: What would result in a higher female:male ratio in the bird population?
    -Reduce the nesting size.

23. nnguyen72

nnguyen72 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

[Form AM]
    VII. Women writers
    This was a horrible passage. Something about hiding in an attic...damning husbands...concealing oneself...and writing stories. I completely did not get this one.

24. freaker

freaker Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

1. would the author suggest further reform to deal w/ the long-term problemos?

The passage stated that this guy wanted to generate new revenue (i.e. raise taxes). I nearly went with new reforms, but I think taxes are the only available solution since this guy doesn't seem to think that saving the family unit is a viable enough alternative.

put an answer that said something like "science can be as exciting as psuedoscience"

YES.

faith=creative force

YES

Though the one regarding the main theme of the passage threw me off a bit, or at least took me a few moments to reason through it.

urban industrialists in France

YES

Allowed the bears to travel smaller distances for food (I chose this one, this was explicitly mentioned in the passge) but I'm not sure if it was a trick question

I can't remember if I chose this one or the one you didn't remember.

Bear ecocenter with salmon

Yes, because these were also seasonable and social.

This one was the equivalent of the BBC News. "Oh! the oppression! The oppression!" Basically, the gist of the passage was that women were forced through societal pressures and through education to temper their speech to the codes of the day. Literary critics attacked women writers who were overly suggestive or used course language and praised speech that "flowed like meadows." So women had to develop a form of symbolism to express themselves emotionally (e.g. the attic, which made the work a richer read and may have empowered female writers) and to imbue their male characters with more extreme personality types.

(I would love to cite Edith Wharton to backhand the author's misconception of the artistic quality of course language. Late-19th to early-20th-century women writers (i.e. Victorian) far surpass those of the later 20th-century.)

As for the birds, there was also a question where females would be favored by decreased human development b/c more resources would be available for females to serve as helpers (I think I have this right). -->Reducing the nesting size would favor males, as helper birds would be less helpful, wouldn't it?

Bison falling and human bear junk. ;) Absolutely!

25. duck2005

duck2005 Member
    5+ Year Member

what about the whale studies or something question in the birds/gender determination passage ("what would the author suggest about a similar study done on whales"). i assumed the study was supposed to be similar to the one on birds. i said he'd be like, "it does not support me b/c ur whales (or whtever animal) could travel b/w communities"...since his study required checkin birds in 2 territories, then transplanting them to new locations to see if their breeding behavior stayed the same or not.

26. Marvin O'Connor

7+ Year Member

I remember something like that. I think I put what you did. Was one of the answers something like, "no, because they are endangered"?

27. duck2005

duck2005 Member
    5+ Year Member

i think the birds question was like this

"what would be LEAST likely to decrease the female to male ratio"
    a. increase in # of bats
    b. decrease in rainfall
    c. decrease in human pollution/destruction
    d. construction of an airport

The way I saw it, more bats -> less insects = less females. Less rainfall = less insects = less females. Less pollution/destruction = more territory = less females. Airport = less territory = more females. Recall that females increase when territory is lacking and when insect supplies are plentiful.

There was some *other* question where the mention nesting size. I don't remember which one that was.

28. zeebs32

zeebs32 Member
    7+ Year Member

the bear one was the crazy 4th answer - it was something like "human development had taken over the natural bear habitats" - it was straight from the passage.

for the bird one, i put the humans leaving - better habitat, more females.

29. ASDIC

ASDIC The 9th Flotilla
    15+ Year Member

Medical Student

i misread this question... :(

i said bats

30. duck2005

duck2005 Member
    5+ Year Member

verdict - form bg verbal was a monster

31. freaker

freaker Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Was the question on whales or Canadian geese?

The one where the researchers would be pleased or disappointed?

I can't remember what I put on that one.

32. UCLAstudent

UCLAstudent I'm a luck dragon!
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I put that for the bird one, too.

33. duck2005

duck2005 Member
    5+ Year Member

i said they wont be pleased b/c the birds were able to migrate b/w territories (I think the stem said they did). In the passage, the wallabies were transplanted from one territory to the other to see if they exhibited gender determination

34. duck2005

duck2005 Member
    5+ Year Member

why does better habitate = more females

35. DoogieHowserMD

DoogieHowserMD Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

because it implies more territories and more resources.. and when resources were high, it resulted in more females being hatched, according to the passage thesis.

36. duck2005

duck2005 Member
    5+ Year Member

yeah. one of the choices was "no b/c they were endangered" i said "no, b/c they were able to travel b/w the territories" tricky....