SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

crazy weather= feel like S**t

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by Jccripe, May 27, 2008.

1. Jccripe

Jccripe 2+ Year Member

Sep 12, 2006
    so the temp droped in the chicago area last night. I woke up is a sorethroat and massive sinus problems. the sore throat has resolved since this morning and I continue to have drainage and tons of mucous. Why does the weather change impact your body this way and this fast. (actually medicall reasons not folklore please)
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. laputan

laputan xyzzy 5+ Year Member

Sep 21, 2005
    Seasonal allergies
  4. CigarTragic

CigarTragic Read it backwards 2+ Year Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Type I hypersensitivity is an allergic reaction provoked by reexposure to a specific type of antigen referred to as an allergen.[1] Exposure may be by ingestion, inhalation, injection, or direct contact. The difference between a normal immune response and a type I hypersensitive response is that plasma cells secrete IgE. This class of antibodies binds to Fc receptors on the surface of tissue mast cells and blood basophils. Mast cells and basophils coated by IgE are "sensitized." Later exposure to the same allergen, cross-links the bound IgE on sensitized cells resulting in degranulation and the secretion of pharmacologically active mediators such as mastcell- leukotriene, and prostaglandin that act on the surrounding tissues. The principal effects of these products are vasodilation and smooth-muscle contraction.

The reaction may be either local or systemic. Symptoms vary from mild irritation to sudden death from anaphylactic shock. Treatment usually involves epinephrine, antihistamines, and corticosteroids. If the entire body gets involved, then anaphylaxis can take place; an acute, systemic reaction that can prove fatal.
  5. IcedTea

IcedTea Nuthin But A G Thang Baby 2+ Year Member

Apr 18, 2008
    Tha hood

Cold temps allow for the transportation of pathogens more easily.
  6. geogil

geogil Still training. 7+ Year Member

May 1, 2006
    I think in this case it might be coincidental. More people get colds and flu in the winter because we're cooped up inside with each other and sharing germs is facilitated by increased contact.
  7. TMP-SMX

TMP-SMX Senior Member Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Jun 12, 2006
    It's also just the natural progression of the influenza virus along with many of the viral gastroenteritis pathogens.