CRDTS/NERB DSCE written exam questions.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drill Doc

Cavity Creep
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
UPDATED:
11/09
CRDTS no longer requires the DSCE, but NERB still does.

I have not come across any old DSCE exams. They have never officially released an exam, as far as I know (Like NBDE does). Supposedly there are some out there, but from around 1996. I have not personally seen one. Which begs the question is it ethical/legal to possess one? NBDE will fail you for:
- inappropriate or unauthorized access to exam content or
- the discussion of specific exam questions

So I think it's pretty clear any real DSCE exam could get you in trouble.

ANYWHO....

I am just following the advice in this thread.

Success for the DSCE Exam

- Copy of Norman K. Wood's "Review of Diagnosis, Oral Medicine, Radiology and Treatment Planning"

http://www.amazon.com/Diagnosis-Medi...0477174&sr=1-1

Supposedly the test was written using this text as a template.
Hard to come by. It's out of print and private sellers are asking $300-$500 for it. It will likely NOT be in your college's medical library because someone got there before you and STOLE it. Try your prof's. One should have a copy to lend you.

- Couple sets of old NBDE Part II decks (you will only use the pertinent sections)

- Texts ( O Path, Radiology, perio..)

- Google Images for oral path and radiology!!!!!

Good luck on your studies and future endeavors.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I was told that dental decks is still the best one to study. Some guys took it in the past two weeks. Hope helps.
What is the Wood text? cna you give me some idea? Thanks.

I was told that dental decks is still the best one to study. Some guys took it in the past two weeks. Hope helps.
What is the Wood text? cna you give me some idea? Thanks.

The text everyone has recommended as the only real study guide needed for the CRDTS/NERB DSCE written exam is:

Review of Diagnosis, Oral Medicine, Radiology, and Treatment Planning by Norman K. Wood

It is out of print and very hard to come by. Private sellers are asking ~$500 USD for it.

Also found this post from an old thread...

Posted by gryffindor:

"The DSCE tests nowhere near the level of detail the Part II boards. It's stupid, I don't even know how to explain it. Not stupid where you walk in with your eyes closed, but stupid enough where you can probably figure out a lot of the stuff based on memory alone. A lot of the answer choices were plain dumb, or the answer was real obvious and you don't have to read the other answer choices. If you don't care to score a 100 on this section as well (I didn't, 75 = license), then there seems to be a lot of Oral Path questions in the first half of the the exam and a lot of Perio in the case-based section.

Oral Path meaning diagnosing x-rays for stuff like Ameloblastoma & Dentigerous cyst, nothing too crazy on there like AOT or CEOT. Clinical slides of things like rhomboid glossitis or lichen planus - identify and how would you treat?, again nothing too crazy on there like cicatricial pemphigoid or the different types of papilloma or the underlying causes of disease. I would review basics about pre-medication (who needs it, how long they need it for - lifetime or less?, kids). How would you manage an AIDS pt. with hairy leukoplakia (wasn't sure of this one)? Practically no operative (1 question on sealants?), like 1 ortho question (what does this lower appliance do?), don't recall there being oral surgery questions (how do you treat dry socket?). A few things about sickle cell anemia (what does the trabeculae look like?). Difference b/w amelogenesis vs. dentinogenesis imperfecta radiographically. Some dental anomalies like gemination vs. fusion and taurodont. The prostho questions were real basic, easy to figure out. They really seemed to like the immediate dentures, bunch of questions on that. Some stuff on measurements of tooth reduction for PFM.

That's all I can remember. That's the last test I'm gonna have for a while"

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=124846

Members don't see this ad :)
My classmates told me they focus on decks patho, radio, and perio part, and also the patho booklet. Help a lot. They feel it is a little bit harder than part II, but the questions are more reasonable.

Who knows!

Also found this post from an old thread...

Posted by gryffindor:

"The DSCE tests nowhere near the level of detail the Part II boards. It's stupid, I don't even know how to explain it. Not stupid where you walk in with your eyes closed, but stupid enough where you can probably figure out a lot of the stuff based on memory alone. A lot of the answer choices were plain dumb, or the answer was real obvious and you don't have to read the other answer choices. If you don't care to score a 100 on this section as well (I didn't, 75 = license), then there seems to be a lot of Oral Path questions in the first half of the the exam and a lot of Perio in the case-based section.

Oral Path meaning diagnosing x-rays for stuff like Ameloblastoma & Dentigerous cyst, nothing too crazy on there like AOT or CEOT. Clinical slides of things like rhomboid glossitis or lichen planus - identify and how would you treat?, again nothing too crazy on there like cicatricial pemphigoid or the different types of papilloma or the underlying causes of disease. I would review basics about pre-medication (who needs it, how long they need it for - lifetime or less?, kids). How would you manage an AIDS pt. with hairy leukoplakia (wasn't sure of this one)? Practically no operative (1 question on sealants?), like 1 ortho question (what does this lower appliance do?), don't recall there being oral surgery questions (how do you treat dry socket?). A few things about sickle cell anemia (what does the trabeculae look like?). Difference b/w amelogenesis vs. dentinogenesis imperfecta radiographically. Some dental anomalies like gemination vs. fusion and taurodont. The prostho questions were real basic, easy to figure out. They really seemed to like the immediate dentures, bunch of questions on that. Some stuff on measurements of tooth reduction for PFM.

That's all I can remember. That's the last test I'm gonna have for a while"

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=124846

Crazy price. Try to get it from school library.
Good luck in your study.

The text everyone has recommended as the only real study guide needed for the CRDTS/NERB DSCE written exam is:

Review of Diagnosis, Oral Medicine, Radiology, and Treatment Planning by Norman K. Wood

It is out of print and very hard to come by. Private sellers are asking ~$500 USD for it.

Crazy price. Try to get it from school library.
Good luck in your study.

Thanks.

Most likely if you are looking for this text in your library, it will not be there. I searched high and low and in every library the text had been stolen...:mad:
Luckily a prof of mine was nice enough to lend me hers.

took the NERB DSCE in Dec 08, and found the advice given above by Gryffindor to be spot on - thanks. I also ran across this website, and found it to be fairly representative of many of the path-type questions.

https://inside.dental.upenn.edu/doc/intra/Class/NERBS/Nerb-DOR/DOR.html

be sure to review the radiology decks before the exam - it would be a shame for the NERB to cash in on re-takes of this redundant (but not simple) exam

took the NERB DSCE in Dec 08, and found the advice given above by Gryffindor to be spot on - thanks. I also ran across this website, and found it to be fairly representative of many of the path-type questions.

be sure to review the radiology decks before the exam - it would be a shame for the NERB to cash in on re-takes of this redundant (but not simple) exam

Thanks for your input Kung....

Just took and passed the DSCE. I feel the woods book help a lot. Also the decks radio-part helps. If have time, read text book about RPD and CD are really helpful.
The DSCE is harder than part II, while the questions are more reasonable.

I would like to know the following ! PLEASE ANSWER ME! THANKS!
THE NORMAL VITAL SIGNS FOR KIDS and for adults!

PULSE rate
BP rate
GLUCOSE rate
and protrombin rate!

bumping this thread as my DSCE is getting close.

Any more input for what to study beyond the Wood text??

:D

Members don't see this ad :)
[ad deleted]

Post it in the For Sale forum or eBay.

Back OT....

What was your experience with the exam?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to find out your input about the DSCE/ NERB is is possible.
Thanks

Drill Doc,
I am also looking to take the NERB Dental Simulated Clinical Exam soon. Do you have any suggestions of what to study? Do you have any material or old exams that you are willing to sell? I would greatly appreciate any advice or materials. Hope studying is going well for you!
Thanks so much!

did you take the nerb exam yet? did you get to compile the questions?? please help! I have to take it next week =X I am not even sure where to begin studying! Anything will help....! =)

So what are people studying for the NERB/DSCE? I looked for the Woods book, but I cannot find a copy of it.

AnnieFutureRDH - do you or any of your classmates have any old DSCE exams to practice with?

So what are people studying for the NERB/DSCE? I looked for the Woods book, but I cannot find a copy of it.

AnnieFutureRDH - do you or any of your classmates have any old DSCE exams to practice with?

Please see first post...

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the information. I am not too familiar with the NERB - DSCE exam. Wasn't too sure if there are any old released exams out there, but it was worth asking.

As for the text you recommended, I will keep a look out for it, but you are right so far, the text is nearly impossible to find!

Thank you again for your help!

Good Luck on the test!! Wish you the best of luck in your dental career!

The written exam for nerb/crdts was super easy.
Review clinical photos/slides on these websites:

http://www.dentalmedsoft.com/SampleCases/

Make sure you know: ameloblastoma, dentinogenesis imperfecta, amelogenesis imperfecta, cleidocranial dysplasia, zinc phosphate is most injurious to the pulp, E speed film reduces radiation the most, abx prophylaxis (when, dosage), circumvallate papilla, fordyce granules, acetaminophen for patients with kidney problems (no nsaids), perio diagnosis, sjogrens, syphilis (congenital), odontoma, hypercementosis, vitality testing (specifically diagnose cold testing - irrev pulpitis, rev pulpitis, normal, etc), pulmonary embolis, mesiodens, supernumerary tooth, facial reduction for PFM and porcelain crowns, lymphangioma, hemangioma, hematoma, leukemia (just look out for too many wbc), thrombocytopenia (just look out for too low platelets), hyperpituitarism, hypothyroid, hyperthyroid (graves, exophthalmos), hyperparathyroid, . That's all I can think of now.

If you review all that, you will definitely at least pass!

Alot of questions wanted you to answer "Do nothing" or "Reeval in 2 weeks", etc.

Best of luck.

:)

The written exam for nerb/crdts was super easy.
Review clinical photos/slides on these websites:

http://www.dentalmedsoft.com/SampleCases/

Make sure you know: ameloblastoma, dentinogenesis imperfecta, amelogenesis imperfecta, cleidocranial dysplasia, zinc phosphate is most injurious to the pulp, E speed film reduces radiation the most, abx prophylaxis (when, dosage), circumvallate papilla, fordyce granules, acetaminophen for patients with kidney problems (no nsaids), perio diagnosis, sjogrens, syphilis (congenital), odontoma, hypercementosis, vitality testing (specifically diagnose cold testing - irrev pulpitis, rev pulpitis, normal, etc), pulmonary embolis, mesiodens, supernumerary tooth, facial reduction for PFM and porcelain crowns, lymphangioma, hemangioma, hematoma, leukemia (just look out for too many wbc), thrombocytopenia (just look out for too low platelets), hyperpituitarism, hypothyroid, hyperthyroid (graves, exophthalmos), hyperparathyroid, . That's all I can think of now.

If you review all that, you will definitely at least pass!

Alot of questions wanted you to answer "Do nothing" or "Reeval in 2 weeks", etc.

Best of luck.

:)

Thanks for your input dentalfun!!!! :thumbup:

Has anyone taken this exam lately? I am taking mine next week and I would appreciate any help

Thanks in advance

Has anyone taken this exam lately? I am taking mine next week and I would appreciate any help

Thanks in advance

Yes, took the DSCE at the end of April 2009.

Just read the previous posts in the thread.

I feel the Woods book was the most valuable of the study materials.

It's not an easy test, but it's also not a hard one. Kind of hard to explain. Doesn't really compare to part II. As I said, read the posts, It helped me.

GOOD LUCK! I'm sure you'll do great. :luck::xf::xf::xf:

Also, scores are forwarded from the Prometric Testing Center to CRDTS/NERB at the end of each month. That's why I took it at the end of the month. Little more study time, lot less waiting time.

Last edited:
Drill Doc,
In the earlier post you mention that you have a link for a VERY valuable study guide for the DSCE. can you please post the link, or can I buy the material from you. Thank you so much for your help!

molarchic

Hello Doc,

Do you still have access to Dr. Shermann's qus, Can you please send me the link or the qus. I am taking DSCE very soon. I will really appreciate your help. My e-mail address is [email protected].

Thank you in advance

I have not come across any old DSCE exams. They have never officially released an exam, as far as I know (Like NBDE does). Supposedly there are some out there, but from around 1996. I have not personally seen one. Which begs the question is it ethical/legal to possess one? NBDE will fail you for:

ANYWHO....

I am just following the advice in this thread. There are some study materials that NYU D students had put together, as well as some study questions from Dr. Neil Sermann who teaches a DSCE bootcamp aimed at people retaking the exam.

Success for the DSCE (NERB/CRDTS= same DSCE Exam)

- Copy of Norman K. Wood's "Review of Diagnosis, Oral Mediacine, Radiology and Treatment Planning"

http://www.amazon.com/Diagnosis-Med...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1240477174&sr=1-1

Hard to come by. It's out of print and private sellers are asking $300-$500 for it. It will likely NOT be in your college's medical library because someone got there before you and STOLE it. Try your prof's. One should have a copy to lend you.

- Couple sets of old NBDE Part II decks (you will only use the pertinent sections)

- Google Images for oral path and radiology

Nsidhu2,
Hi, how are you? Have you taken your exam already? How was it? Were you able to get any of Dr. Shermann's material? I would greatly appreciate any help you can give me.

molarchic

I recently took the DSE exam a I decided to move back to the east coast.
Anyways, the exam was actually very stupid with regards to the answer options. Some times it left me pulling my hair as all answer choices were wrong and you are expected to choose the right answer!! I agree that it is hard to study for this exam, I used the decks and norman woods. But any other book would suffice(Mosby etc). I did not feel that a whole lot of questions "came from" the Norman Woods book; however as this book just contains over 1000 MCQs it is a good practice book....if you have any other book with a wide range of questions that should be enough...
now coming to what I remember about the questions..almost every thing mentioned above by other members are true...Also, the answers for the first section is very easy to figure out, am sure everyone does well on this section. Section 2 gets a bit harder as the answers get confusing. Section 3 is the worst! This one includes the perio case based questions and is the most frustrating as you have questions like "what do you think is the approximate amount of attached gingiva on tooth no.x based on the photograph" and "what is the pocket depth of tooth no.x based on the radiographs you see"? you are like WTF?? the prosth part was a bit stupid but not as bad as the perio part...
so my advice is this: make sure you brush up the decks very well for oral path, rad, prosth and perio. Rest: rely on common sense and memory from dental school as well as any practice questions. Also, they like questions related to immediate dentures (with answers you've never heard of!) and perio diagnosis and evaluation. Also know about latest guidlines on pre-med from AHA-ADA; medical conditions such as hypo/hyper thyroidism, hypo-hyper pituitarism, anaphylaxis, syncope etc.
i THINK i probably got enough answers right to pass the exam. Will let you guys know when I get the results! I think the NBDE 2 was fun, as the answers were more scholarly and not stupid. This exam was not fun at all..
bottom line: It is hard to be fully prepared for this exam as your success in this has to do with your philosophy and concepts of dental education, treatment planning common sense and what you feel at the time of exam! Good luck!

Anyways, the exam was actually very stupid with regards to the answer options. Some times it left me pulling my hair as all answer choices were wrong and you are expected to choose the right answer!! I agree that it is hard to study for this exam, I used the decks and norman woods. But any other book would suffice(Mosby etc). I did not feel that a whole lot of questions "came from" the Norman Woods book; however as this book just contains over 1000 MCQs it is a good practice book....if you have any other book with a wide range of questions that should be enough...
now coming to what I remember about the questions..almost every thing mentioned above by other members are true...Also, the answers for the first section is very easy to figure out, am sure everyone does well on this section. Section 2 gets a bit harder as the answers get confusing. Section 3 is the worst! This one includes the perio case based questions and is the most frustrating as you have questions like "what do you think is the approximate amount of attached gingiva on tooth no.x based on the photograph" and "what is the pocket depth of tooth no.x based on the radiographs you see"? you are like WTF?? the prosth part was a bit stupid but not as bad as the perio part...
so my advice is this: make sure you brush up the decks very well for oral path, rad, prosth and perio. Rest: rely on common sense and memory from dental school as well as any practice questions. Also, they like questions related to immediate dentures (with answers you've never heard of!) and perio diagnosis and evaluation. Also know about latest guidlines on pre-med from AHA-ADA; medical conditions such as hypo/hyper thyroidism, hypo-hyper pituitarism, anaphylaxis, syncope etc.
i THINK i probably got enough answers right to pass the exam. Will let you guys know when I get the results! I think the NBDE 2 was fun, as the answers were more scholarly and not stupid. This exam was not fun at all..
bottom line: It is hard to be fully prepared for this exam as your success in this has to do with your philosophy and concepts of dental education, treatment planning common sense and what you feel at the time of exam! Good luck!

Great advice KAJALKIRAN. All the radiogrpahs are virtually usless that they give you for the cases. Horrible resolution and often a clinically unacceptable PA/Pan...

k

Last edited:
Did anyone get their DSE score back?? I am SO DEPRESSED 73!!!. I even had old test questions!!! What went wrong??? Is there a review course for this?

SO SUICIDAL NOW. I only have one more try and that's it...jumping off a bridge!!

Hey vietmdds,

Take a deep breath....

OK, first read all the posts in this thread and follow the advice.

You will pass.
This is no reason to do something drastic.

Take all those emotions and use them to help, not hurt, you. Direct that energy into study for the exam and you will pass with ease.

Also, be careful with the old exam questions. DSCE has never released an old exam, so what you have could get you in trouble.

also sent you a PM.

Did anyone get their DSE score back?? I am SO DEPRESSED 73!!!. I even had old test questions!!! What went wrong??? Is there a review course for this?

SO SUICIDAL NOW. I only have one more try and that's it...jumping off a bridge!!

First of all, take a few days off and recover. Your mental attitude and mindset seems to be your biggest problem, and is prbably what is setting you back. Focus on positive thinking and areas where you made mistakes on the exam, and relax a little bit. Life isn't worth stressing out like this over something so stupid.

Hi! I got my scores yesterday- 88! wow ! what a relief! as i said before, this exam is a real pain!
VietM: dont worry, you can certainly pass if you follow the advice and materials listed by everyone above. Besides, as you already have the woods book, make sure you read it thoroughly along with the decks! these materials will provide you with the tools to combat the exam! perhaps google and see if you can get some more reading info././good luck!

Thanks Doc Drill and psiyung...I am feeling a little better now after talking to my gf and siblings and friends. I ordered the Woods book and going to focus on the sections that I am supposedly weak on. Endo, ortho, peds all subjects that questions always confuse me on. Plus I gotta stop this habit of freaking out the night before. need to understand that prior intense preparation is so much more important than last minute cramming trying to get all this info revived in my mind.

Good to hear you are in a better mood!

You are already half way there!!!

Please post back after you pass so we can congratulate you.:luck:

Well, I took the examination today after studying here and there for a while. The examination imo is more difficult than NBDE part II (if I remember that exam correctly), as the decks really dont do this exam much justice (honestly, the decks didnt do justice for any of my national boards exams during school). Anyway, as some of ya'll know I'm moving to the east coast, and took my test in Howard a few weeks back and just took the DSC exam a few hours ago. Some tidbits on things I would study

Decks:
Radiology
Path
CDC - infection control decks
Pros decks -- these really sucked
Perio
Norman Woods book (good book to own)
Notes that I own

Ill keep you guys posted when I get my results back, but I'm guessing it will be sometime in January. Any question u guys have u can message me here or privately. Good luck.

Well, I took the examination today after studying here and there for a while. The examination imo is more difficult than NBDE part II (if I remember that exam correctly), as the decks really dont do this exam much justice (honestly, the decks didnt do justice for any of my national boards exams during school). Anyway, as some of ya'll know I'm moving to the east coast, and took my test in Howard a few weeks back and just took the DSC exam a few hours ago. Some tidbits on things I would study

Decks:
Radiology
Path
CDC - infection control decks
Pros decks -- these really sucked
Perio
Norman Woods book (good book to own)
Notes that I own

Ill keep you guys posted when I get my results back, but I'm guessing it will be sometime in January. Any question u guys have u can message me here or privately. Good luck.

Well just got my scores back for the exam. Passed all sections. DSC exam scored an 89. Have to put up this place for sale now...one chapter down, a new one to begin :D:thumbup:

If you guys have any questions, I poke my head into SDN forums from time to time, so please, dont be shy

i have the book for sale..do u want it
UPDATED:
11/09
CRDTS no longer requires the DSCE, but NERB still does.

ANYWHO....

I am just following the advice in this thread.

Success for the DSCE Exam

- Copy of Norman K. Wood's "Review of Diagnosis, Oral Medicine, Radiology and Treatment Planning"

http://www.amazon.com/Diagnosis-Medi...0477174&sr=1-1

- Google Images for oral path and radiology!!!!!

Im asking much less..its for sale