Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Creating a community service and/or premed club. Ideas?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Pawnym, Jul 26, 2002.

1. Pawnym

Pawnym Five Twos?
    7+ Year Member

From the title of the thread you may be thinking, "this guy is crazy! Isn't he already busy enough just volunteering and doing his classwork... now he wants to found a couple clubs TOO... moron!!!" Well, I'm in a slightly different position actually.

I am the incoming President of my college's student government. Unfortunately, the last SGA sorta dissolved last year after a semester so I'm just diving in cold turkey with little help(there's the other SGA officers too, but they're not veterans either...), building this all from the ground up. In addition, there's currently very little student activity on campus. I mean, there's now an SGA, the African American Student Union(their Pres is on this SGA), and there's one very active honor society(Me, and another SGA member are officers).

Getting to the point(eventually). There is no community service oriented club for those with 'less than a 3.5 GPA' and there is no premed club depsite a large number of wannabe premeds.

I have no interest in presiding over these clubs. I want to attract people to join, elect them a president, and continue with all my other business, but I need to entice them to join with something... and most likely the event planning/organization to begin with will be up to SGA(me).

So, any ideas? Anyone run any clubs like these? Advice?

Hell, I'll take advice on Student Government stuff too. :)
    This... is just another effort from me in reaching out to the places and people I know... for some very much desired help. Buy me a clue. :)

Thanks

2. Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003] Platinum Member
    7+ Year Member

what's SGA? (Student Government _______ )

3. Pawnym

Pawnym Five Twos?
    7+ Year Member

Association :cool:

4. freakazoid

freakazoid Guy Friend Extraordinaire
    7+ Year Member

For the premed wannabes and volunteer peeps, show them you can get them what they want. For premeds, advice. We love advice, no matter where it comes from. You can let them all know about the wonderful world of SDN, about MCAT, med school, whatever. Bring speakers, bring adcoms, bring whatever. For volunteers, just give them volunteer opportunities.

But the main thing, to entice them to come to hear you out, to get them out of their stuffy little rooms and out into the real world, bring FOOD. There's nothing like food to attract some poor half-starved college student who's too tired to study . . .

5. Pawnym

Pawnym Five Twos?
    7+ Year Member

But of course. First week of the semester is a welcome day. Free food, etc. Representation from our 3 clubs and other student services.

I may also be working to accomplish too much, but I want some kind of event like every week. Just something informal, speakers or question/answer sessions, meetings, music, comics, etc. Different clubs could 'sponsor' and work the event of course if the event was congruent with their purpose. I probably won't have the manpower and time to set this much up til the spring though,

but then... the world wasn't built in a day either...

the premed club can be an internet club. Every week they can meet in the library, go online and log into SDN. :)

6. exigente chica

7+ Year Member

Hey, I'm the vice-President of SGA..and we are coming to your school this year! We are planning to take some road trips to other colleges to find out what other SGA's are doing. So, you would be a great contact.
    I also am starting my own club this year, even though I'm in too many allready. lol.

All of our members are on orientation team so we get the freshman as soon as they come on. There are so many good leaders lost between the high school college transition! So be involved let them see you and scoop them up. Aslo be high profile at the activity fair and partipate in all school activites!

We have a great pre-med club, honor society and research club. SGA is in charge of all the clubs so we can get their help for geting the word out. I am willing to help you ne way I can. look at Florida student leader.com

Need any more info or sugestions..pm me:clap:

Always willing to help.

ohh yeah we have a leadership retreat and confrence being organized as we speak.