Aug 20, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
You seem to a be strong applicant overall (good numbers, great research, clinical and volunteer experience, no questionable details). I don't see why you would not be seriously considered at most medical schools. As far as making a list goes, narrow your search by looking at factors that may be particularly important to you (research emphasis? location? $$?). I think that the match between what is genuinely important to you and what is important to the school is what "fit" is all about. Good luck

nemo123

5+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Anyways, you should buy an MSAR and look at the accepted stats for each school. Make a list that combines the average accepted (GPA*10)+MCAT score for each school and compare that to your own score (called the LizzyM score; you're would be about a 73). I believe it's said on these forums that anything within two points of your own score is a match school for you. Anything above 2 points is a reach, while anything below two points is a "safety" school.

Last edited:

acceptedMD18

I got in!
Oct 24, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi this is my first post, so it may be missing info.

Caucasian male, Ohio resident
cGPA: 3.89
sGPA: 3.85
MCAT: 34
Undergrad: Pitt
Major: Neuroscience/Biology Dual-Major
Minor: Bioengineering/Chemistry/Certificate in Leadership
LORs: Decent. 2 science professors , 2 doctors I shadowed or worked for.

Main ECs:

- 1 year: worked in a neuroscience research lab
- 1 summer: worked overseas as a phlebotomist
- 1 summer: worked in a neurology lab; also shadowed the neurologist
- 2 years: worked as a campus tour giver
- 4 years: Fraternity (held positions)
- 1 year: worked in cardiovascular research
- 3 years: member of various clubs (both medical related and not)
- 3 years: volunteer at local hospital
-1 summer: peace corps
-1 summer: Research at a local medical school

Clinical:
- Volunteering at local hospital
- spent 1 year as a phlebotomist at the hospital
- lots of patient interaction while researching over summer months

I can't really decide which schools I'm looking to apply to. I want to challenge myself academically. I just don't want to apply to a bunch of top tier schools and receive rejection upon rejection (this is what I did for undergrad). Could someone please give me a list of 5-10 Reach schools, schools I would likely get into, and schools I have a very high chance of getting into?
Thanks so much!
Uhh, since when is the Peace Corps 1 summer long? You're stats are great, according to the AAMC ~89% of applicants with your numbers get in, but even with those odds there is no such thing as a school you have a "very high chance of getting into." The closest thing would be your state school, but that's still far from a sure bet.

For the reaches do some research on the top tier schools and pick 5-10 that sound the most appealing. Apply to them.

karayaa

5+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Hi this is my first post, so it may be missing info.

Caucasian male, Ohio resident
cGPA: 3.89
sGPA: 3.85
MCAT: 34
Undergrad: Pitt
Major: Neuroscience/Biology Dual-Major
Minor: Bioengineering/Chemistry/Certificate in Leadership
LORs: Decent. 2 science professors , 2 doctors I shadowed or worked for.

Main ECs:

- 1 year: worked in a neuroscience research lab
- 1 summer: worked overseas as a phlebotomist
- 1 summer: worked in a neurology lab; also shadowed the neurologist
- 2 years: worked as a campus tour giver
- 4 years: Fraternity (held positions)
- 1 year: worked in cardiovascular research
- 3 years: member of various clubs (both medical related and not)
- 3 years: volunteer at local hospital
-1 summer: peace corps
-1 summer: Research at a local medical school

Clinical:
- Volunteering at local hospital
- spent 1 year as a phlebotomist at the hospital
- lots of patient interaction while researching over summer months

I can't really decide which schools I'm looking to apply to. I want to challenge myself academically. I just don't want to apply to a bunch of top tier schools and receive rejection upon rejection (this is what I did for undergrad). Could someone please give me a list of 5-10 Reach schools, schools I would likely get into, and schools I have a very high chance of getting into?
Thanks so much!
Challenging academics??
Any med school will do that - it's up to you how challenged you want to be.
Do you want a very difficult academic experience? Are you a masochist?

Like Nemo said, buy the MSAR and use it to find reach/match/"safety" schools. Use your GPA/MCAT and find schools where you're below, at, and above their averages.
But you'll return a ton of schools with those parameters, so you need to have additional critiera - eg http://www.dartmouth.edu/~nss/nav/pages/school/Choosing Medical Schools05.pdf

Aug 8, 2013
Michigan
Status
Medical Student
Or, if you are lazy, you can search online for the "selector spreadsheet", which is a nicely color coded (and illegal due to copyright laws) spreadsheet that orders schools by your "chance" of getting into them based solely on stats.

Honestly though, I don't think that looking at stats is going to be particularly informative for you. Your GPA is great, and your MCAT is good for top tiers. You will be in the middle 50% at most top schools and in the top 50% at midtiers. That is to say, you are not going to be out of range for any of the schools so most places will be a "match" for your stats.

Apply to your state schools for sure - Ohio has several.
https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/amcas/participating_schools/ohio/
Honestly, that's probably enough "likely to get in" schools for you. The reason I say this is two fold: 1, you have good stats and ECs, 2, lower tier schools that are out of state for you will be harder to get into because you are out of state so it kind of negates the "easiness" of getting in. Do you care about staying in the midwest? If you want to stay there, apply to schools in Michigan, especially Wayne and MSU - the programs are pretty good and they like midwest people.

I would apply to schools in PA as well since you have ties to that state. Other than that, figure out what you are interested in. Do you like research? If you do, look up labs who publish in a field you are interested in. Are all these people at a particular institution? I chose to look geographically as well, there are some places I would like to live more than others. Do you want to live in Boston? Philadelphia? Chicago? Apply to schools around there. On the other hand, if you don't want to live in the middle of nowhere or in a hopital-town, you can exclude certain schools (Mayo, Yale, etc).

I started with a list of states, then I put all the schools from all those states into a spreadsheet. Then I got rid of all the schools that are public and out of state with the exception of some midwest schools. At that point, my list wasn't so long.

nemo123

5+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2011
Status
Medical Student
^ A 34 would put the OP closer to the bottom quartile of applicants at most of the top 20s... :eek: (Given that most of the top 20s seem to have 37 MCAT acceptance averages, with 33 being their 10% percentile).

Aug 8, 2013
Michigan
Status
Medical Student
^ A 34 would put the OP closer to the bottom quartile of applicants at most of the top 20s... :eek: (Given that most of the top 20s seem to have 37 MCAT acceptance averages, with 33 being their 10% percentile).
Really:wideyed:? Wow, okay...well I still think that OP has a great chance at the top 20s...

nemo123

5+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Really:wideyed:? Wow, okay...well I still think that OP has a great chance at the top 20s...
Yep. I was shocked when I saw this year's MSAR also. (Because the 2012-2013 MSAR listed average MCAT scores as 36 for almost all the top 20s and the bottom 10% of all accepted was a 32). Accepted MCAT scores seem to be creeping up every year, and I wouldn't be surprised if MSAR listed a 37 for almost every school in the top 10 next year (with 38s for Pritzker and Penn)...

Aug 8, 2013
Michigan
Status
Medical Student
Yep. I was shocked when I saw this year's MSAR also. (Because the 2012-2013 MSAR listed average MCAT scores as 36 for almost all the top 20s and the bottom 10% of all accepted was a 32). Accepted MCAT scores seem to be creeping up every year, and I wouldn't be surprised if MSAR listed a 37 for almost every school in the top 10 next year (with 38s for Pritzker and Penn)...
Yeah, I haven't really looked at those numbers in a year or two and I was looking at a 2011 version that my school had in the library - I think most top schools were averaging 35 and change at that time. I guess all those numbers will be useless soon anyhow with the new MCAT.

Reactions: nemo123

nemo123

5+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Yeah, I haven't really looked at those numbers in a year or two and I was looking at a 2011 version that my school had in the library - I think most top schools were averaging 35 and change at that time. I guess all those numbers will be useless soon anyhow with the new MCAT.
Yeah I think 2 years ago, most of the top 20s had 35s as their MCAT averages... Amazing how much things changed in 2 years time...

CyberMaxx

Doing math in pen
10+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2008
Carrel 118
Status
Medical Student
Yeah I think 2 years ago, most of the top 20s had 35s as their MCAT averages... Amazing how much things changed in 2 years time...
Yep, this was when I got my MCAT score and I was so stoked... fast forward two years aaaand :confused:.

EDIT: I wonder how much of the MSAR stats increases are due to more competitive applicants and how much they are due to applicants applying to more schools??? I've always operated under the assumption that the bottom half of top 30ish schools have inflated MSAR stats because many people who get into top 15 schools also get into top 30, but don't matriculate there. If that neurotic pre-med with a 4.0/45 applied to every school in the top 20, he would inflate the MSAR stats at all schools even though he ended up at Harvard.

Last edited:
Reactions: sat0ri

nemo123

5+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Yep, this was when I got my MCAT score and I was so stoked... fast forward two years aaaand :confused:.
Haha I remember when LizzyM wrote about a time when a 33 was a great score for her school...

CyberMaxx

Doing math in pen
10+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2008
Carrel 118
Status
Medical Student
Haha I remember when LizzyM wrote about a time when a 33 was a great score for her school...
Its unreal. I think that society and the economy are perfectly aligned right now in such a way to make med school really desirable to smart and ambitious college students. I wouldn't be surprised if the bubble bursts in 10 years and things become far less competitive. If I'm right I'm excited to see what our generation of physicians will accomplish! ...but I digress... Sorry OP!

Reactions: nemo123

DokterMom

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2013
Status
Non-Student
I suspect there's also a lot of "study to the test" going on now that the MCAT has been pretty stable for a few years and people who care enough to find out can get great information on what to expect and how best to prepare.
But still, some astounding scores...

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
How about every school in OH, PA , IN, KY, and every private school in IL and MI? Try a couple of the Ivies for reach, maybe JHU, Pitt and NYU.

Suggest also investing in MSAR and targeting schools who numbers are close to your own.

inycepoo

1K Member
Removed
Dec 8, 2012
New York
How about every school in OH, PA , IN, KY, and every private school in IL and MI? Try a couple of the Ivies for reach, maybe JHU, Pitt and NYU.

Suggest also investing in MSAR and targeting schools who numbers are close to your own.
Hehe there goes Goro again naming states and suggesting adding every single school in thosr states :p

"Every school in PA" is so much money, secondary-writing, and more schools than some people apply to in one cycle...

darkjedi

how did this get here I am not good with computer
7+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2009
Its unreal. I think that society and the economy are perfectly aligned right now in such a way to make med school really desirable to smart and ambitious college students. I wouldn't be surprised if the bubble bursts in 10 years and things become far less competitive. If I'm right I'm excited to see what our generation of physicians will accomplish! ...but I digress... Sorry OP!
As long as there is an artificial limit to the number of MD slots available, it will always be competitive. It's why even the 'lower tier' schools tend to still be pretty competitive to get into. The number of applicants increases every year it seems, and while new schools are being built, more than half of applicants still don't get in.

Average stats does seem to go up every year, but thankfully not that quickly. When I was applying a few years ago I found a LizzyM spreadsheet with numbers from 2009, where most of the top 10 already had 37 medians. WashU had a 38 median, which seemed ridiculous. All the docs I've talked to that trained like a decade ago say that none of them would likely to have been accepted nowadays.

Last edited:

sinombre

carboloading
7+ Year Member
May 20, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
"Every school in PA" is so much money, secondary-writing, and more schools than some people apply to in one cycle...
Maybe it depends on the state... most of my friends applied to at least 20 schools.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Strongly concur, and in response to the sour note from our now-banned member, OP never mentioned financial difficulties, and his post implied he was looking for a list of 15-20 schools. I think most SDN members are savvy enough not to apply to every medical school in the US, but to pick from a suitable list.

Maybe it depends on the state... most of my friends applied to at least 20 schools.

wiloghby

Perpetually interviewing
5+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2012
Status
Medical Student
I agree that you would be competitive at all of the Ohio schools as a state resident and would be likely to get into at least one of them. Others have suggested Michigan schools and I would tend to agree. No one has mentioned University of Michigan by name, so I'm going to. UMich.

Definitely purchase the MSAR

When I made a school list, I started with a list of all the private schools, all schools in my state of residence, and then a list of public schools that are OOS friendly. From there, I shaped it into 20 schools with reasonable location and fitting mission where my LizzyM was appropriate. I then added one or two crazy long shot dream schools, and wish now that I had applied to a few more of those.

Certainly apply to your state schools -- which if you live in Ohio should go very well for you. But if there is some dream school you think is just perfect for you, DEFINITELY apply, even if you think your application is not perfect. Otherwise, you will regret it just like I do. You just never know what kind of applicant they are looking for. As long as you have your bases covered with your state schools and some other reasonable choices (~10-15 or so), it certainly cannot hurt to dream big and apply to top programs if you find them irresistible.