Creative writing is an extracurricular?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cashmeous

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
To provide some context, I am majoring in BME and Writing (i.e. fancy English). If I have published in anthologies, would that be considered as a "publication?"

Now, I do have publications in basic science. In fact, I love basic science so much that I'm planning to apply as an MD/PhD applicant. So please don't hate on me for liking to write.

What are adcom's viewpoints on writing short stories, novels, etc.?

Members don't see this ad.

Publications, non-peer reviewed.

This is a wonderful endeavor and not everything you do needs to be related to Medicine. Your hobbies show what kind of person you are.

To provide some context, I am majoring in BME and Writing (i.e. fancy English). If I have published in anthologies, would that be considered as a "publication?"

Now, I do have publications in basic science. In fact, I love basic science so much that I'm planning to apply as an MD/PhD applicant. So please don't hate on me for liking to write.

What are adcom's viewpoints on writing short stories, novels, etc.?

Reactions: 3 users
Tag it as a hobby/advocation rather than "publication" and describe being published in the description. That will avoid any confusion. I think it is rather nice. You are in good company with many fine fiction writers who are also physicians including Perry Klass (pediatrician) and the late Richard Selzer (surgeon).

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
And Anton Chekhov, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, William Carlos Williams, Walker Percy and Michael Crichton.

\
Tag it as a hobby/advocation rather than "publication" and describe being published in the description. That will avoid any confusion. I think it is rather nice. You are in good company with many fine fiction writers who are also physicians including Perry Klass (pediatrician) and the late Richard Selzer (surgeon).

Reactions: 1 users
And Anton Chekhov, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, William Carlos Williams, Walker Percy and Michael Crichton.

\
Michael Crichton?! I had no idea!

Thanks everyone for the responses. I'm glad to see that it's appreciated around here :).