Creativity in Secondary Answers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
U

uvapremed

Hey, I was wondering how much creativity I should put into answering secondary questions. When I asked my friend to proofread some of the stuff I wrote, she wanted me to add more creativity in my answers to make me stand out. Should I be going for a more creative route for my answers?

She might be more inclined as she goes to a Liberal Arts College while I strictly adhere to science and engineering.

Members don't see this ad.

uvapremed said:
Hey, I was wondering how much creativity I should put into answering secondary questions. When I asked my friend to proofread some of the stuff I wrote, she wanted me to add more creativity in my answers to make me stand out. Should I be going for a more creative route for my answers?

She might be more inclined as she goes to a Liberal Arts College while I strictly adhere to science and engineering.

Basically, you want the reader to come away saying, "This applicant is [insert text here*], I bet he'd be interesting to talk to. Let's interview him right away."

* brilliant yet humble;
well-traveled and socially aware;
an academic success despite economic hardships;
a Renaissance man;
an pro-athlete with a 38T (that's his MCAT and his suit size :D ).

You want to do whatever it takes to have the reader/adcom member want to meet you. Too much creativity however can kill a buzz. (I once saw someone make a list of things in response to the question "other things you'd like the adcom to know about you". Some of the items on the list were her favorite soup (chicken noodle, IIRC), and her favorite flower. :confused: )