Credibility Among Podiatry Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Podman16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I'm applying to podiatry school this summer and I'm extremely excited about starting this new chapter. It has been my dream to become a podiatrist ever since I was introduced to the profession a few years back. That being said, I have a question for current podiatrists and residents. Do those that have attended the schools that take classes alongside the DO students (like DMU, AZPOD, Western) have more credibility with DOs and MDs than the students who attend the schools that are strictly podiatry? My dream would one day be able to work with an orthopedic group and this has been a question that I have had from the beginning. Every podiatrist that I have shadowed attended DMU. I'm applying to 5 different podiatry schools and my fear is that if I don't attend one that has the combined classes with DO students that I could loose credibility and opportunities to work alongside DOs and MDs. Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

^What he said.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I totally agree with ankle breaker. I went to a DO school and sometimes wonder if I would have been better served if the basic science courses would have been taken at a strictly podiatry school as perhaps the material would have been presented more in relation to what pods do as opposed to a general medical school approach.

On a positive note, most MD/DO docs I've met after residency, other than a few orthopedic surgeons, have been congenial or even friendly, especially when I've met them in social settings. If they decide to "talk shop" I try my best to not appear frustrated or offended if they don't know about what I do (even if they ask a question in an offensive manner). I try to show enthusiasm and talk about what kind of work I do (being careful to not sound too "sales-ey") and more often than not the encounter turns into a referral sooner or later. I try to never talk about why podiatrists are better than [whomever] at [whatever] but instead display that I enjoy treating that condition.

If you meet an MD or DO who's unfamiliar with podiatry then it's a golden opportunity make a good impression, then when they happen to find out their patient or friend or relative has heel pain they'll think of you.

Applying for a position in an orthopedic group is probably different (I wouldn't know firsthand) in that it will take more than a positive attitude to get a job offer. I think it comes down to them seeing that you're a good financial investment. I have a hard time believing that many orthopedic surgeons would be impressed by any podiatrist (until maybe after they've worked with them awhile).

Reactions: 1 users
Cool, thanks for the responses! In the pod world have you guys seen students from certain schools land the better residencies and jobs or is that more dependent on other factors and not so much which institution you receive your podiatry training from?

Your school will 1000% not influence your job, unless you are being hired by an old school podiatrist who did not do a residency and has some allegiance to their alma mater. It's extremely, extremely rare.

Your residency will matter, and going to a well know hospital in the Medical world will increase your chances of a multispecialty group job. Doing a well known program or having a director with connections will help you get a podiatry practice job. Doing a fellowship involving any kind of surgery will help get an orthopedic group job. Not because it's necessary to get great training, but because all/most of the orthos in that group ARE fellowship trained and did the extra year and they will look much more favorably on anyone who has also done training beyond residency. Also doing a residency at a hospital with a good ortho trauma reputation will look good on your resume.

Your residency training will determine what kind of job you will land. Period.

Reactions: 1 user