Credibility of SDN

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by wannabedoc81, Oct 25, 2002.

1. wannabedoc81

wannabedoc81 Member
    7+ Year Member

I was perusing through the site and read the interview requested thread. According to Harvard, interview requests for their med school aren't sent out until Jan. and yet, there were supposedly two people on this forum who already received interview requests from Harvard. I am just confused.

How credible are the posts? Or is Harvard lying...? :confused:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. MedApp2003

MedApp2003 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

january is that cut-off date for sending out interviews, not the first date. harvard is definitely interviewing already.

i trust sdn's credibility somewhat. not totally, but i doubt people are lying on where they have been requested to interview. that would be a really boring lie at least.

4. Adcadet

Adcadet Long way from Gate 27
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    if an admissions office claims one thing, and SDNers (multipe) claim another thing, I put my money on SDN.

For example - what is the earliest a med school can sent out an acceptance? October 15 (I think). I bet most schools will claim that they follow this. Yet there are a number of SDNers who got acceptances before October 15.

5. womansurg

womansurg it's a hard life...
    7+ Year Member

Yeah, I don't think these policies are always hard and fast. ("more of a guideline that a rule, really...").

There was some thread about how someone said they got accepted at the end of their interview - and everyone was suggesting this person was not being truthful, because that would have been violation of policy. I didn't jump in at the time, but I was shur-as-shootin' accepted the same day I interviewed at Ohio State... :p

6. S.c. Cdc28p

S.c. Cdc28p Member
    7+ Year Member

HMS started to interview people already. In fact I just talked to some interviewees today.

7. choker

choker Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

from a bruised veteran of the admissions process (me):

some schools are notorious for being full of it. NYU and Sinai specifically lie out their butts all the time. they say anything to get you off the phone. after my friends received their rejection letters from sinai, they called the school and sinai rep still claimed that "no decision has been made." similarly, i remember calling NYU for a decision last year and the guy vehemently asserted that "no decisions have been made or will be made until February," despite the fact that many of my friends had already been admitted much earlier(and i didn't meet anyone that was admitted in february).

bottom line: take everything a school says with a grain of salt. trust your friends, and trust SDN only if a few people claim the same thing.

ps- it really pissed me off when the schools lied to my face.
    pps- harvard sends out their LAST invites by mid january. don't be discouraged, though. they seem to do their interviews regionally. i got my request to interview at harvard the 2nd or 3rd week in january, as did everyone else i met who interviewed there.

8. Green912

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I doubt, and certainly hope that SDN'rs aren't intentially giving wrong information. When reading answers to questions and others viewpoints keep mind that a lot of information is subjective rather then factual. What applies to one school or experience may not carry any weight elsewhere. Takes info with a grain of salt and always keep the bigger picture in focus.

9. Adcadet

Adcadet Long way from Gate 27
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    it is kindof mean to give rejections by phone. Although, saying that no decisions will be made my a certain date is just plain lying. I really think people should revolt against the admission system and implement some "fair play" rules.

10. UCLA2000

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I spoke to an interviewee today that already received an interview request at Harvard...

11. cmspilot

cmspilot Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

12. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Ummm...you didn't hear that from Hahvahd at all. Hahvahd interviews for "select applicants" (as stated in the emails)throughout October. I don't know where you heard that interview requests aren't sent out until January. You should have been skeptical when you realized it was so late in the process. People are definitely already interviewing there.