Credible site to take pre med classes online?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SyrianHero

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I may be working full time while taking pre med classes which leaves me no choice but to take online classes, but I don't know where to take them. Does anyone know of any credible online universities to take pre med classes? I know taking online classes isn't ideal but it seems to be my only choice.

Members don't see this ad.

I may be working full time while taking pre med classes which leaves me no choice but to take online classes, but I don't know where to take them. Does anyone know of any credible online universities to take pre med classes? I know taking online classes isn't ideal but it seems to be my only choice.

Doesn't your school offer online courses?

You gotta take labs, which are hard to take online.

Members don't see this ad :)
My school doesn't unfortunately. I heard there are some schools that offer online pre med classes but i don't know which ones.

You gotta take labs, which are hard to take online.

yeah..... Medical schools require you to fulfill the lab component of their premedical courses. I'm not sure if there are any online course options that offer that.

Also, the labs will have to be attended during the daytime... just like any other classes. I know that "daytime hours" are the conflict you have that is preventing you from taking courses, but you really don't have a choice in this case. And if you're taking the labs in the daytime, might as well take the courses as well.

And I'm not sure if there are any reputable online courses that are not Highly discriminated against by the Adcoms. They expect you to take and succeed in upper-level science courses at an at least somewhat reputable university. Considering that they will literally receive several thousand applications from students who completed their upper-level education at universities (undergrad/post-bac), I'm not sure if you should look up to online courses as a viable option?

Last edited:

University of Phoenix

I haven't actually taken any pre-med classed online, but I know others who have. Some of the schools he chatted with permitted him to take courses at University of New England online. UNE offers all pre-med class online, including bio, chem and organic. Here's the organic webpage: http://www.une.edu/com/online/organic/ and here is a list of medical schools that accept their biochem class in particular: http://www.une.edu/com/online/organic/ . I would recommend calling whatever college you want to attend and see if they accept online pre-med classes. I know for certain that most all of the caribbean schools accept online pre-med as long as they are taken at an accredited institution.

Let me know if there's an online class for ochem lab. I'll be happy to use a computer to design ochem reactions.

I haven't actually taken any pre-med classed online, but I know others who
have. Some of the schools he chatted with permitted him to take courses at
University of New England online. UNE offers all pre-med class online, including
bio, chem and organic. Here's the organic webpage: http://www.une.edu/com/online/organic/ and
here is a list of medical schools that accept their biochem class in particular:
http://www.une.edu/com/online/organic/ . I would recommend
calling whatever college you want to attend and see if they accept online
pre-med classes. I know for certain that most all of the caribbean schools
accept online pre-med as long as they are taken at an accredited
institution.

First, it should be noted that biochem is NOT a pre-requisite for medical school, and less surprising that medical schools may accept the course credit. And just curious, were all of the schools your friend chatted with in the Carribeans?

Also OP, you have to understand that taking your pre-requisites at an online course automatically puts your application at an immediate considerable disadvantage. Unless there is some stellar component of your application, I think everyone here would highly advise against this. This is most likely akin to "you can apply to our university with a 3.0"; of course you can, but that doesn't mean that you will get in. It only means that you have the necessary components to participate in the process, but that your application will most likely be quickly tossed aside.

Is there any reason you have to be working that prevents you at all the possibility of actually taking the courses? For me personally, my father's employment was terminated and we lost the house upon filing for bankruptcy. I had to work to support my family because no one else really had the ability to work. But of course, I was lucky enough to find a research job with flexible hours. I talked it over with my PI and he was happy to allow me to take 1.5 hours off in the morning as long as I still worked my 8 hours.
This also applies if you're a non-trad with a family, but you may not be lucky enough to find an arrangement.

Otherwise, if you're young and not tied down, I highly recommend moving in with your parents and taking that opportunity to attend physical courses at a nearby university. If medicine is a viable future you are contemplating, this will give you the best chance for success. Otherwise, you will most likely be wasting your time and money.

But how will the ADCOMS know that I have taken online classes if it doesn't show on the transcript? I heard UNE doesn't indicate that a class was taken online on the transcript.

But how will the ADCOMS know that I have taken online classes if it doesn't show on the
transcript? I heard UNE doesn't indicate that a class was taken online on the
transcript.

http://www.une.edu/registrar/upload/transcript.pdf

I believe it does. The course itself may not be indicated as an online course, but the transcript does indicate which campus you attended: online/distance learning.

Otherwise, you may have very well found yourself a loophole~
:D

Yeah OP, it really depends on your situtation.

I believe that the option for online pre-requisite courses are really only viable for non-traditional applicats who have either been in the work force for a decade/has a family that they need to support and can't stop working. So if that describes you, then all power to you.

But if you're only a student who just graduated who has the resources to be able to take classes but is choosing not to in favor of "experiencing working life", I don't think that's something that can be explained to the Adcom.

My personal advice would be to pursue a post-bac program (I don't know anything about these, you'll probably have to do your own research).
It's more expensive than the "move in with your parents and take local university courses" option that was suggested above, but this allows you to live away from home and have somewhat of your own life. Like college all over again.

Last edited:

If you check out the MSAR, most schools (at least all the ones I applied to) do not accept online coursework for fulfillment of pre-requisites. Even if the transcript doesn't say that it's online, you are supposed to mark that the class was taken online on your AMCAS application. Of course, I guess you could lie.....

So, if you want to apply broadly to US MD, online coursework is not an option.

Let me know if there's an online class for ochem lab. I'll be happy to use a computer to design ochem reactions.

I've actually seen an online chem "lab." You just have to click on the right glassware and reagents and stuff. I loled when I saw that you could click a button for reflux. Immediate, magical reflux with no bumping and 100% yield, just like in real life!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Where on MSAR can you find a list of schools that don't accept online pre med courses? (I couldn't find it)

Under "Selection Factors"
It says "Is online coursework accepted in fulfillment of prerequisites?"

I've been flipping through some random schools for the past 10 minutes, and I haven't found any that say "yes." The vast majority of the schools straight out say no. A handful I've seen say "On a case-by-case basis," meaning that you will have to submit an explanation to the admissions committee stating your reasons for not being able to take physical pre-requisite courses.

So just to help:
1.) Taking online courses will force you to have a very limited choice of schools
2.) You must have an extremely good reason why you were not able to attend a physical post-bac course. This must be a reason beyond work, in the sense that "why did you HAVE to work?" Because, let's face it, everybody works after college. But those who seriously consider medical school decide to pursue post-bac. What made your position more dire than theirs that you could not pursue post-bac?
3.) I don't know anything about your stats, but you better be extremely competitive in all aspects of your application if you are still looking at this as a viable option. Remember that this will be looked at very unfavorably by the admissions committee. Just remember that there are thousands and thousands of applicants lining up with polished applications from physical universities/post-bac classes. What makes you more qualified than them? Having taken your pre-requisites online is not usually a good start to that conversation.

But if you have considered all of these factors, and things are still looking somewhat green, then who's to tell you not to?
:luck: