Credit and Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hera

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone aware of what happens if an accepted med. student doesn't have good credit and isn't eligible to sign for them because the banks deny them? Can parents be cosigners? What options are there?

Members don't see this ad.

Have you looked into government loans? I know that credit problems don't really have an impact on them.

I seem to remember some of the schools I applied to last year required a credit check as a condition of admission. The best thing for you to do would be to contact the financial aid office at the schools to which you are applying.

Up here in Canada, most bankers don't really listen hard when you mention that you'd like a loan because you're a student. As soon as you drop the word "medical" in front of "student", suddenly they can't wait to lend you lots of money.
smile.gif

I'm having difficulty trying to visualize just how bad a credit rating you'd need before banks wouldn't lend a medical student some cash.

Ian, MS1
www.geocities.com/mdpremie