Quantcast

credit card debt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eukaryotic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
hello,

has anyone in the application process had a problem with credit card debt? will excessive debt cause you to get rejected?

stoic

"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted"
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It won't get you rejected, but you could have problems with financial aid (depending on your credit status).

Talk to you your schools financial aid people.

An Yong

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
thats not good, because this application process is sucking the life out of my credit cards

DW

Fix me some sandwiches
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Your credit rating only comes into play if you have to exceed the maximum amount of federal stafford loans you can take on in a year and you have to get private/alternative loans to cover the rest of the cost of your education. Your yearly stafford maximum is ~38,500 a year and they do not consider your credit rating for the stafford loans, whether to approve or for interest rates. The alternative loans are a different story.

I would try to at least minimize any credit card debt you have coming into med school as much as possible, cause its tough enough getting by on a med school budget without any other financial liabilities.