SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Credit check?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by MedStudentWanna, May 15, 2007.

1. MedStudentWanna

MedStudentWanna Banned Banned 5+ Year Member

Apr 14, 2006
    Do med schools do credit checks when deciding admissions? I thought that kind of thing was only for financial aid.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. sirus_virus

sirus_virus nonsense poster 2+ Year Member

Nov 6, 2006
    Ofcourse, in fact, they also test you for STDs. What can I say, it's a tough process.

4. bbabul01

bbabul01 5+ Year Member

Aug 5, 2006
    Boston
    What Sirus meant to say was no, they don't do credit check. Most FinAids don't even do it. You will sometimes need a credit check for your loans though.

If you have credit problems, you might not be able to take out all the loans necessary for med school. You can check your credit report for free at annualcreditreport.com. That's the legit website for it.

5. UVABranch

UVABranch one of 6000 7+ Year Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Washington, DC
    I think I heard that Georgetown does, but I'm not positive (like 80% sure), other than that I don't know of any schools that actually run a credit chedk. I think g'town's justification is they because med school is so expensive they want to know that you have the means to pay for it :-\ If you're credit is not in order use the sight from the previous post (it's a good one). Even if you know you have a high credit score it's a good idea to check. There is often inacurate info on there which can hurt, and every point counts especially when it comes to interest rates!

6. jochi1543

jochi1543 President, Gunner Central 2+ Year Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    MDApps:
    I have terrible credit in the US (but very good in Canada, so obtaining loans is not a huge issue), so I hope none of them do. So I join the ones who are anxious to find out who runs the checks, because then I won't apply there.:scared:

7. 146233

146233 Phthirius pubis

Apr 12, 2007
    Medical College of Wisconsin does one as part of admissions. Their philosophy is that too many med students had maxed out their Federal loans and then didn't have the credit to obtain private loans.

Anyway, MCW does - it's all on their web site.

-z

8. jochi1543

Apr 4, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    MDApps:
    Anyone know if they check it for Canadian applicants, too? Most of us have NO credit there and aren't going to obtain US loans, anyway.

BTW, there WILL be people who are not going to obtain loans (those with savings, scholarships, and spousal or parental support), so it's not really an assumption that the adcom should be using to weed out applicants.

9. 146233

146233 Phthirius pubis

Apr 12, 2007
    It's not a 'weed out'. Allow me to clarify. MCW does it after an offer is made, but before you matriculate.

10. jochi1543

Apr 4, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    MDApps:
    Oh, makes sense then.

I know 3 people in med school and not a single one of them took out any loans (all have wealthy parents, one even has a trust fund). And I know I won't be taking out loans in the US, either, only in Canada.