credit hour trend...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anand17

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know there are a lot of credit out threads out there..but I wanted some advise specific to my case/advisor. My advisor said one huge red flag on my application was my consistently low credit hours. After reading some posts here, I dont know what to think. I know how much you take is important, but to what extent? My credit hours from freshman year until now are 13,14,14,12 (after a W), and 18 (yay). Im thinking about taking either 14 or 17 nxt semester, depending on what you say, but I am taking the mcat next semester. Sorry for the long post and thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Dude, whatever. Did you do well? Make degree progress? Do EC's or clinicals?

What are your courses next term?

yes to all those, i think im pretty competitve otherwise. just this one "red flag"

Members don't see this ad :)
it's not a red flag. the usual is 15 credits, but it's not a rule.

what are you taking next term?

im an economics major, and ive taken all prereqs and biochem and genetics. Next semester i plan on taking medical sociology, economic development, physics lab, and an intro to literature class. Not too hard, but i plan on spending most time on the cats. If anything id take a few research credits.

I've taken low credit hours most semesters. As low as 12 one semester. Things seem to be ok for me (so far). I wouldn't sweat it if your grades are high.

I did 12 one semester, and one semester I did 21. I seriously doubt it matters as long as you don't hit like 6 while not doing anything else.

In senior year I'm planning on only taking a few classes while maybe doing an internship or something of the sort in my free time. The reason for this is I don't really need to take any more classes and I'm not that interested in other classes. Would this be fine if I use my free time wisely such as doing an internship?

I had a similar question. The least number of credits I have taken so far is 17 (except for the semester I studied abroad which they only let us do 12)...I was planning on only taking 13 next semester because I am going to be volunteering 15 hours a week, studying for the MCATS, working, and hopefully doing a surgery internship...should I take more than 13? I have taken 19 with 3 labs before but I don't know if I should take many since I will be doing so much "other stuff." They will all be quality units (biochem, cardio physio, physics, and an upper division psyc)

on that note, are heavy credit hour semesters looked upon favorably?

I've taken a few 20+ credit semesters (history/biophysics major, studying abroad, graduating early). Do you think an adcom will take the time to notice that my 3.something wasn't an ordinary course load?

I've taken a few 20+ credit semesters (history/biophysics major, studying abroad, graduating early). Do you think an adcom will take the time to notice that my 3.something wasn't an ordinary course load?
Doubtful. 3. what?

It won't matter. But if it comes up, be able to convince them you can handle the workload. For instance, if you take fewer credits, have an explanation for why, e.g. you had to work, had to study for MCAT, played sports, etc.

There were two semesters where I had the minimum credit load. Rock the MCAT, get good grades, and no one will doubt your academic capabilities.

I had a similar question. The least number of credits I have taken so far is 17 (except for the semester I studied abroad which they only let us do 12)...I was planning on only taking 13 next semester because I am going to be volunteering 15 hours a week, studying for the MCATS, working, and hopefully doing a surgery internship...should I take more than 13? I have taken 19 with 3 labs before but I don't know if I should take many since I will be doing so much "other stuff." They will all be quality units (biochem, cardio physio, physics, and an upper division psyc)
Yes, that's certainly fine. That's not a red flag. I usually took about 20 units (quarter system, if that matters) and one quarter I took 13 (including research, lol) because I was teaching two classes and studying for the MCAT.

That sounds like an impossibly difficult semester considering the courses, the ECs, and the fact that you are studying for the MCAT. But, thats just my opinion, and I tend to err on the side of too few commitments when alongside important things like MCAT prep.

I think that depends on the school - I have always taken very heavy credit loads (anywhere between 23 and 34 per semester, and yes, 16 was the norm at my old school too). I had many interviewers comment on my "stellar academic record" when I applied (even though I had a 3.7 and not a 4.0), while others didn't seem to care at all.

Honestly, decide how many classes to take based on what is best for you and not because you think an AdCom wants to see something specific. If you think you will learn best by taking 12 a semester, do it. if you think 25 is more your cup of tea, that's fine too. Just do what you think is best for you.

23-34 credits???? how many classes did that come out to on average? how did u manage such a feat (doing well on tests and finals, maintaining sanity)? and what kind of school did you go to?

23-34 credits???? how many classes did that come out to on average? how did u manage such a feat (doing well on tests and finals, maintaining sanity)? and what kind of school did you go to?

I think anything above 25 is just plain crazy. I'm taking 23 maybe 25 units next semester; I'm taking a large load because I need to bring my GPA up.

When did you take 34 units o_O and what classes were they...

How is it even possible to fit 34 credits into a schedule without conflicts?