Credit hours per semester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentalTaxiguy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So how many credit hours do you guys take in a semester for your undergraduate or should I say recommend for me? I have three kids, but I dont have to worry about money and a wife that is going to school as well. I signed up for 12 credit hours this semester. They are for the most part easier classes. Just wanted some opinions. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

normally, you'll have to take at least 14 to 15 credits per semester to reach the graduation requirements in 4 years. Having a family complicates things, but if you want to graduate in 4 years, you have to take more than 12 credits per semester.

Not if you do summer classes, which is kinda smart considering you can take 12 credits or at most 14 credits a semester and still be in good shape 4 years later. Never understood why people took 18 credits almost every semester! I did it one semester but had no life - not surprisingly I did pretty well too, hard work though.

Members don't see this ad :)
dexadental said:
Not if you do summer classes, which is kinda smart considering you can take 12 credits or at most 14 credits a semester and still be in good shape 4 years later. Never understood why people took 18 credits almost every semester! I did it one semester but had no life - not surprisingly I did pretty well too, hard work though.

Hey! Hey! I took 18 for two semesters... Only science. It wasn't THAT bad. I still had plenty drinking time.
-C

And you sound like quite the mature student :rolleyes:

I think 18 for most would be overkill. I do think most people could get away with 14-15 but you have got to stay on top of it when you start getting into those heavier loads. I'm only taking 13 hours this fall, but they are all sciences. Cell bio, Animal Phys, Anatomy & Phys, and ecology. I don't think this is too hard, but it will require some much needed dedication by me.

I have royaly screwed up my GPA and college career so far. My AADSAS gpa would be almost right at a flat 2.0. And I digress...

I think most dental schools would like to see a rigerous semester or two of 14+ hours with most of that being science to show that you can handle a heavy semester. Just something to think about.

14+ credits shouldn't really be considered as overly rigorous. Consider the requirements for graduation is normally in the range of 120~130, that would mean roughly 15 credit semesters on average is required. I personally had a semester or two of 17~18 credits and I know someone who attempted 20+ credits (and later on dropped a bunch of courses). The key is to balance your schedule. Take science courses and complement that with some easier electives. Don't batch all your science courses in a 16 credit semester, because that will be hell. I took 13 credits for my final semester senior year, and I thought it was a bit too easy (no classes on wednesdays and fridays and one class on monday) and it was the best semester gradewise I had in undergrad. Undergrad education isn't meant to be a walk in the park (unless you attend a party school)

Dental school is theoretically draining and time consuming with a large courseload. I suspect that schools want to see how you function under pressure. For some people, 12 credits of science is pressure while for others 18 credits doesn't faze them.

Usually 12 credits min and 15 credits max is full time with 120 credits needed for the degree. Do the math - you are either going to be on the five year or the four year plan, or you take summer classes.

be mindful that choosing the 5 year option or taking summer classes mean you have to pay additional $$$. Look at the degree requirements and plan out roughly what you're gonna take each semester in order to determine how many credits per semester is appropriate. Speak to your advisor and ask for opinions.

I know that UDM likes to see a challenging courseload of 15-18 credits, with a lot of them being science classes.

I took 17 - 18 credits almost every semester (sometimes more) so I could graduate in 3 years. I was still surprised at how much heavier the workload was when I got to dental school.

Dental schools like to see a full 15 credit load. however, most people are bringing in various amounts of AP credit so having to take 15 is not neccessary.