Credit Hours translated to "semester hours"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baseballfan46

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have tried googling my question, but with no clear answer. I see many schools require "8 semester hours" for organic chemistry. How do this relate to the 4.0 credit lecture I took along with the 1 credit lab?

Members don't see this ad.

4+1=5

When’s they say 8 semester hours, they mean both I and II with labs

I have tried googling my question, but with no clear answer. I see many schools require "8 semester hours" for organic chemistry. How do this relate to the 4.0 credit lecture I took along with the 1 credit lab?
Typically lectures are 3 credit hours and labs are 1. The 8 semester hour requirement refers to the sequence of Ochem 1 and Ochem 2 both with labs.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
4+1=5

When’s they say 8 semester hours, they mean both I and II with labs
is it common for schools to substitute the second semester of organic chemistry with a semester of biochemistry? or is it program dependent?

Org 1 and Org 2 at my school were 3 credits each and the lab was 2 credits so there's your 8.

is it common for schools to substitute the second semester of organic chemistry with a semester of biochemistry? or is it program dependent?
Don't worry about what your school does for graduation requirements. I mean, definitely fulfill the requirements, but make sure you get all your medical pre-reqs done because you'll be looked over if you don't have what schools want.

You'd have to look into schools you are planning to apply to. Generally, if they say 8 credits of Organic Chemistry, then they would not substitute 2nd semester with Biochem.

Reactions: 1 user
Equivalent, it gets messy with schools on the quarter system though.

I've never heard of that. My school ochem 1 and 2 were prereqs for biochem

I've never heard of that. My school ochem 1 and 2 were prereqs for biochem
My university has only organic chem I as the prerequisite for Biochem. I plan on taking ochem II during the process of applying due to being considered a non-trad now.

My university has only organic chem I as the prerequisite for Biochem. I plan on taking ochem II during the process of applying due to being considered a non-trad now.
Just be aware of each schools prereqs. my school doesn't actually require organic, just biochem

Reactions: 1 user