Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

credit load?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by wander, Jul 30, 2002.

1. wander

wander Senior Member

How many credits should I take during a semester? I've spoken to many residents that have just graduated from medical school and majority have recommended me not to kill myself w/ more than 14 crds a semester, how competitive would that make me? Another questions is..... would it be good to take 3 science classes during one semester?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jot

jot

i would go ahead and take between 16-20 - thats a very safe credit laod if you are concerned about that. 3 sciences in a semester won't kill you, but 2 will probably be more manageable - just make sure you do well in them. know thyself - what your limits are etc... unless of course if you are a freshman - than you are about to find out. err on the side of caution for first semester i guess.
    -jot

4. exigente chica

Maybe you are a freshman, or are just starting to take some science classes. I think that three science labs are a bit much, but you do what you have to do. See how much you can handle and take it from there. I take 20 credits every semester only because I like to be busy and I have 2 minors, but only 2 labs each time. Next semseter I will be trippling up, I will tell you how it goes.

Good luck, ne more questions..pm me:D

5. Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003] Platinum Member

A's will make you more competetive not the nuimber of the classes you take.

6. nero

nero Senior Member

i took 4 labs and had to TA 2 others during for two semesters in my 2nd year of undergrad........it was an absolute pain, doing 4 lab reports a week and grading another 40............i did this cause i wanted to graduate early, if you are not graduating within 3 years, i recommend you only take 2 per semester at max and get A's in all of them........................i was able to pull it off, but was so busy...............

nero

7. mdterps83

mdterps83 Member

I always hear this, but 20 credits will get you far more quality points than 14 ever will. The underlying idea here is to take as much as you can and still get A's in.

8. DarkChild

DarkChild Senior Member

take it from me - go with a moderate courseload (14 credits doesnt sound bad) but clean house. you will have no excuse no to pull some sparkling grades. and you can use the extra free time to do other fun, exciting, interesting stuff.
    a friend of mine went to school with me, took a light load (12-14 credits) and pulled straight friggin A's. EVeryone looked at her like she was some kind of wunderkind - nobody ever remarked - oh but you only took 4 classes. So dont sweat it.
    Its all about good grades. Look - you take 4 classes, and do really well (A's & A-'s) nobody really knows your downside - i.e. IF this person was taking a heavy courseload how would they do?
    BUT taking 5-6 classes, pulling B+'s and B's - they KNOW how you would do.