Credit/ No credit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

84lep48

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone,

How many of you have taken classes that are offered only as "Credit/No credit" and if so, what kind of classes have you taken? my friend and I, who are both premed are both interested in this upper level language course but its only offered as credit/no credit. Does having a class as credit/ no credit look bad on apps/transcripts? as always, thanks a lot i always appreciate all the feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

I took an Econ class Pass/Fail (akin to Credit/No Credit), and it seemed to be just fine. Given that I was never asked about it in the course of 8 interviews, I'm forced to conclude that it's just not that big a deal. :)

Good luck to you! :luck:

I don't think it's that big of a deal.

My college offered biology lab only for a pass/fail grade. Med schools didn't seem to care about it.

I have one friend who took *many* upper division bio classes pass-fail, and he hasn't fared too well this application cycle (although, this may be due to other factors as well). As long as you take classes pass-fail sparingly, it shouldn't affect your chances at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess it would depend highly on how many classes you're taking P/F and what kind of classes. I probably wouldn't take science classes P/F but one of my labs was P/F only, and I took a few other random lib arts classes P/F, but those were beyond my degree requirements. I guess we'll see how I fare about a year from now!

If you have the option to take a class for a grade, then by all means do so, but I was in a program where a number of courses were only offered pass/fail. I was never asked about them and I never had the impression that these particular courses were a problem.