1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Credit/No Credit

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by BlackPuma, Aug 11, 2001.

1. Hi Everyone,

Can you plesae give some advice? ONe of my friends took a class in a community college as Credit/No Credit. Now, his university, does not transfer the grade, only if he satisfied the requirment, he gets a credit for finishing the GE for example.

He was told that a No Credit, would have no bearing on his community college gpa, nor his university gpa. However, I told him that some schools will want him to send ALL his transcripts once he is enrolled in medical school. He received a No credit in one of his classes, and I told him some schools interpret that as an F. He is now really panicked, cuz his gpa is like 3.75. Does this mean his chances are ruined for med school? even though his CC nor university considers No Credit to be an F?

please advise, at this point, he is afraid he messed up his chances for med school for good....

Please tell me what to tell him? thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. gower

gower 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

If any of the credit/no credit courses were taken to satisfy a specific requirement for admission to medical school, or any other professional school, it was a waste of time and effort taking the course(s) unless it was for practice. Admission requirements can only be satisfied by a letter grade of C-or better.

In the totality of evidence medical schools look at to determine if they are even interested in interviewing an applicant, NC in one CC course, or even in a 4-year college course, is trivial. C/NC are not calculated into GPA.

The needless overconcern about this is self-destructive because it negatively affects the mind set. Tell him (or yourself) to go see a good 1940s musical comedy, or whatever cheers him/you up, and move on.

4. Thanks gower for your message! His been depressed for a whole week, and he was going to withdraw his application from medical school.

He took the C/NC to satisfy a GE requirment not related to medical school admissions. He was told by his university that a C/NC is different from a Pass/Fail, because the GPA is not affected. However, his worried that some schools might interpret NC as a "fail" grade because this disclaimer exists on his community college class. Yet, neither his university nor his CC's gpa will be affected. I told him, an NC was a failing grade, and his face turned white.....so should I tell him that I gave him the wrong advice? are you sure medical school won't care?

Some schools like UC san diego I remember, mentioned that a grade of Fail, D will cause them to withdraw their acceptance to medical school, and I simply passed that info to him....of course, he hasn't been able to sleep in a week....I FEELL SO BAD now, for ginving the wrong advice...anybody else have anything to say? thanks I will tell him the good news then.... :D

5. BeckyG

BeckyG Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I took a class for no credit through UCLA extension. It was a "Developing Your Own Financial Plan" course. It was a no credit course because students received no grade and you could get continuing education credits (for your professional licensing requirements) if you were an accountant, etc. That type of class is NOT considered a FAIL. It is merely a class that is not intended to be "competitive" and does not (usually) demand the same level of work as a college-level class. It is meant to educate you on a topic, that's all. So, tell your friend not to worry. If he's really worried, let him know that I took at NC class and am attending UCSF this fall. Good luck!

-- Becky

6. jdub

jdub Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    hey,

if he is really that worried, he needs to call the school(s) and find out from them.

i doubt that one coures that he did not get credit for would sink his chances, especially with a 3.75 gpa, and i would imagine decent mcat score.

this kind of info is best from the horses mouth. :D

7. EdibleEgg

EdibleEgg Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Take a deep breath.... It's not a bad idea to do some reading everyday, and if you are a real stud, you can keep up the habit once you start you residency. But once the ball gets rolling, it will often be tough to find the time. You will probably be well served to review ACLS if you haven't seen it in a while, but there's nothing you can read to teach you how to survive residency. Don't worry though, there will be people around to back you up. Although you will probably be in some uncomfortable situations (that's when you do the good learnin'), you are not turned loose on the world as an intern. Your upper levels and attending will be there to help, and as long as you work hard and pull your weight, they should be happy to do it. So my advice, take it or leave it, is to read the newspaper, write a letter to old aunt Hilda, or do something else you enjoy. Lots of other people have been freaked out by residency. I'm not saying you won't hide in a broom closet the first time a code is called, but the hard part of this whole process is med school and that's already behind you. Good luck!

8. BMBPSU2008

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Doctor, are you drunk?