Credits every Semester & Summer time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biomed1010

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I am a student who has been taking low credit hours per semester(12,14,8,and 14). However, my GPA is very good = 3.95.
Note: The 8 credit hours was in the summer

I was wondering if I will be in trouble when it comes to applying. Will they think they that my GPA is only high because I have taken low credit semesters?

What is usually a safe # of credits to take per semester, to be considered serious when you apply?

Also - Dont people usually take less than 10 credits in the summer semester, because it is a shorter semester and compressed? Or is it usual for a pre-med to do 15 credits in the summer?

Thanks for your time, and happy hollidays!!

Members don't see this ad.

it's not a sprint; it's a marathon. do what you need to do to get the stats you want (and remain healthy and sane) and don't look back.
i know a couple of friends who have not taken more than 14 credits during semesters.. one is at hopkins med, another is at duke med on a full ride, etc. etc. both had sick gpas and very good, but not stellar, mcat scores (low thirties).
their low credit loads didn't stop them from the looks of it.

low credit hours don't hurt you, as long as you have acceptable GPAs and MCAT scores. I never took more than 14 either.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should be fine but I would encourage you to attempt to make it through in the 4 year period (if you are traditional)...

I also took classes 2 summers- 1 was 9 hours the other only 3 (both study abroads)

It allowed me to take less over each semester... here is my advice- If you need one big semester (15-19 hours) to make it through in 4 years do it and sign up for classes you need which are considered "easier" in your department. I did a big semester but took more gen eds to pad it. I found in some of my general classes I studied less than 4 hours a week and still made easy A's/

Seems like a ridiculous waste of money to me. Just man up and take 17-19 credits per semester and save the money from an unnecessary summer term. You should be aware that in med school, you'll have the equivalent of 22-24 credits per semester. If you can only handle 12-14 credits now, how can you possibly cope with the rigors of medical school??? Adcoms, however, will consider the difficulty of your coursework in a holistic manner, so low credit semesters at all times may be a red flag to some adcoms.

As long as you are doing something productive with your spare time since you are not taking many classes, it should not be a problem. Fill that extra time in with something worthwhile.