Creighton Class of 2010...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cytogal

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I have a couple of questions. First, how long after you applied for financial aid, did you hear something? Second, I just a packet from CU regarding orientation, fin aid, etc. Is anyone planning on filling out the course waiver application? Thanks!!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

cytogal said:
Hello all! I have a couple of questions. First, how long after you applied for financial aid, did you hear something? Second, I just a packet from CU regarding orientation, fin aid, etc. Is anyone planning on filling out the course waiver application? Thanks!!! :)

Financial Aid:
I got a letter about financial aid pretty soon after I mailed everything in. I also checked the financial aid website. If you login it gives you updated info on your financial aid. Online is where you accept or decline the $ they gave you. It also tells you what you are awarded...I checked it all the time and found out my award before I got any letter in the mail. THe letter has info on loans and providers. http://www.creighton.edu/finaid/

I am thinking about filling out a course waiver for Micro at least. Ive also taken biochem but since it was a while ago I figured I should just take it again. I heard the tests were pretty hard, though.

i think i might try to waive anatomy, since i just took a year of a&p. i thought about trying to waive biochem but i took that class two years ago and i have probably forgotten a lot of material!

Members don't see this ad :)
ginephre said:
i think i might try to waive anatomy, since i just took a year of a&p. i thought about trying to waive biochem but i took that class two years ago and i have probably forgotten a lot of material!

I am going to try to waive A&P as well. It's been a while since I've taken it, but I use it everyday with my current job. I'm not going to try to test out of any chem courses either. I figure I could use the review!!

Ok I obviously didnt read my packet thouroughly....when can we take the waiver exams? Is this something we do at orientation or before?

I am a bit paranoid about trying to waive anything because I am thinking that undergraduate level classes are more at an elementary level when compared to the doctoral level of the same type of course. I don't have a lot of experience with this so maybe I am off base. I did read somewhere that the exam to waive courses was pretty tough.

Good luck to those who will try to test out of some of the first year courses!

mph2pharm said:
I am a bit paranoid about trying to waive anything because I am thinking that undergraduate level classes are more at an elementary level when compared to the doctoral level of the same type of course.

I am also a little "iffy" about waiving courses...I want to test out of Anatomy and Micro, but I took my Anatomy at a community college so Im wondering if they will accept it. Silly, I know since UIC accepted the course as did other Pharm schools...but Im a little nervous and I dont know why...

the course waiver policy states that an exam is "at the discretion of the instructor of record." so.... maybe if you provide them with a course description or syllabus they won't make you take the exam if your previous course was sufficient?

klebsiella said:
I am also a little "iffy" about waiving courses...I want to test out of Anatomy and Micro, but I took my Anatomy at a community college so Im wondering if they will accept it. Silly, I know since UIC accepted the course as did other Pharm schools...but Im a little nervous and I dont know why...

I also took anatomy and physiology at a community college but it was a combined course (Anatomy and Phys I and II) so I doubt that mine would count anyway. Since I took A&P a few years ago, I feel like I really need to take these courses again in order to ensure that I have a solid foundation for future coursework in the program. If nothing else, at least the material will be somewhat familiar to me.

so does anyone know what goes on during orientation week? the only thing i've really heard about is the cpr certification, and i guess course waiver exams?

I was told we go through laptop training, rules/regs of the pharm school, register for classes, buy books, CPR, fill out paperwork to get our license, and maybe hear about clubs. Not that that will take a whole week!

klebsiella said:
I was told we go through laptop training, rules/regs of the pharm school, register for classes, buy books, CPR, fill out paperwork to get our license, and maybe hear about clubs. Not that that will take a whole week!

Ok...does anyone else think that taking CPR during orientation is strange? I told the pathologist that I work with about it, and he thought it was a little weird. Maybe it's just me.

Members don't see this ad :)
cytogal said:
Ok...does anyone else think that taking CPR during orientation is strange? I told the pathologist that I work with about it, and he thought it was a little weird. Maybe it's just me.

I thought it was odd, but I called to see if I could just take it here in Chicago before I moved. They said they want everyone on the same schedule and some CPR courses are only "good" for a year. The one we do at orientation is two years. It also makes sure we are all on the same page so in two years we go through it again as a class. Unfortunatly we all know that with over 150 total pharm students someone will be the "oh I forgot about it..."

klebsiella said:

Has there been any specific information sent out regarding the license that we have to get? I am not completely sure what the process entails and what we are obligated to do in order to maintain this license while in school (are we required to work in a pharmacy? pass a licensing exam?).

mph2pharm said:
Has there been any specific information sent out regarding the license that we have to get? I am not completely sure what the process entails and what we are obligated to do in order to maintain this license while in school (are we required to work in a pharmacy? pass a licensing exam?).

i'm assuming its the intern license. i'm not sure what exactly it entails for nebraska, but for colorado the paperwork basically involved sending in a copy of an acceptance letter and money. i think (hope) that as long as we are still in school the license will be renewed each year.

ginephre said:
i'm assuming its the intern license. i'm not sure what exactly it entails for nebraska, but for colorado the paperwork basically involved sending in a copy of an acceptance letter and money. i think (hope) that as long as we are still in school the license will be renewed each year.

You are right. We fill out a form and send in $40.

ginephre said:

Thanks. Since I am web-based and will be residing in Maryland I guess I will have to research the rules/regulations for my state.

mph2pharm said:
Thanks. Since I am web-based and will be residing in Maryland I guess I will have to research the rules/regulations for my state.

I just found out about Creighton's web based pharmd program, can you tell me more about it? Do you know if anyone has successfully completed that program? Thanks! :oops:

Dee77happy said:
I just found out about Creighton's web based pharmd program, can you tell me more about it? Do you know if anyone has successfully completed that program? Thanks! :oops:
Yes, the program has graduated at least one class already. It is completely accredited. You might try searching sdn on Creighton - the webbased pathway is also controversial, and there has been a lot of talk (maybe about a month ago) that you might find interesting. PM me if you want more details. I was accepted to their program for this year.

Dee77happy said:

I have also been accepted into the program for this fall and would be happy to answer any questions you have. You can email me at [email protected] or send me a personal message! :)

Dee77happy said:

As rxlynn mentioned, there has been some level of controversy regarding the program and there is a quite spirited discussion on SDN regarding this issue. I did a good bit of research on Creighton's program before I accepted and so far I have been nothing but impressed with what they have to offer. Here are a few articles that have been written on Creighton's program that I thought you might be interested in reading:

http://www.pharmaceutical-int.com/c...way-to-obtain-a-doctor-of-pharmacy-degree.asp

http://www.samford.edu/schools/pharmacy/ijpe/104/lust.pdf

http://www.ajpe.org/aj7002/aj700231/aj700231.pdf

There are actually a few people on the SDN boards who are currently in the web-based program so hopefully you can connect with them as well.

has anyone else NOT been able to log in to the "select bags" page? the email says to use the same user name and password as the email account...but it keeps going back to the enter user name and password page!

ginephre said:
has anyone else NOT been able to log in to the "select bags" page? the email says to use the same user name and password as the email account...but it keeps going back to the enter user name and password page!

I havent been able to enter the site either. let me know if you get it..and how

Does anyone know which bag is better? I am a web-based student.

Select bags? :confused:

Are we talking about bags for the laptops? I am confused as to what you guys are talking about.

An email was sent to the Creighton email accounts instructing us to select either a rolling or backpack style laptop bag. I haven't been able to log on either. I'm sure they'll get it straight after the long weekend.

RxMom said:
An email was sent to the Creighton email accounts instructing us to select either a rolling or backpack style laptop bag. I haven't been able to log on either. I'm sure they'll get it straight after the long weekend.

Thanks RxMom. I haven't checked my account since Friday so I guess that is why I am out of the loop. I am trying to keep up with everything that Creighton is sending out through the mail, to my personal email account and to my Creighton email account. I guess I should be glad that they are so organized and on top of things.

mph2pharm said:
Thanks RxMom. I haven't checked my account since Friday so I guess that is why I am out of the loop. I am trying to keep up with everything that Creighton is sending out through the mail, to my personal email account and to my Creighton email account. I guess I should be glad that they are so organized and on top of things.

yeah, they are kind of random about where they send everything! some things i get only in one email or the other, some are sent to both, and some are sent through mail! at least i can open everything every day wondering if i got something from CU!

RxMom said:

I am having trouble logging on the site they gave us. I would also like to have some feedback regarding which bag students think is better. Thanks!! :)

cytogal said:
I am having trouble logging on the site they gave us. I would also like to have some feedback regarding which bag students think is better. Thanks!! :)

A current student in the web-based program suggested that I get the rolling bag. This is the type that she has been using.

hi guys, i was just able to log on to the backpack link. there are actually 8 bags to choose from! backpacks, rolling style, a ladies' tote bag, and classic laptop cases. you can print or view the specifications to pick the bag that suits your needs and tastes most.

They fixed the log on so everyone should be able to log in (makes sure you put the "@blue" after your netid) There are several styles of backpacks and roller bags to choose from.

Thanks for the update. I was able to log on and they have some really cool styles to choose from. Interestingly enough, I already have a Targus backpack style laptop bag so I guess I will be going with the rolling bag.

I received the email about waiver exams today. Out of 111 exams only 13 have passed. That's pretty bad odds. Does anyone else think they're going to have trouble finding a syllabus from a few years ago? I was really hoping to waive a couple of these classes but I'm not so sure now.

RxMom said:
I received the email about waiver exams today. Out of 111 exams only 13 have passed. That's pretty bad odds. Does anyone else think they're going to have trouble finding a syllabus from a few years ago? I was really hoping to waive a couple of these classes but I'm not so sure now.

111 doesn't seem like very many exams to me.... i'd say either a lot of requests are either outright denied or they are allowed to waive without even taking an exam. remember that its is at the professor's discretion as to whether or not you take an exam. i'm still going to try to waive anatomy, we might as well try right?

cytogal said:

Hello future Web based classmates, :oops:

I have accepted the offer and I am planning my trip to Omaha now. Looking at these cost has got me a little worried. I heared about the financial aid offer like 2 weeks after I was accepted. I waited to see what they were going to offer me before I accepted the spot in the class. Wow, it is expensive!!! :eek: Are you guys worried about the cost? I am excited about the format of the classes but I am curious about the exams. I wonder who will be an acceptable proctor.

In the email we were sent about waiving classes, it listed Dr Padilla as the person we should send out stuff to. On the print out from the course waiver application it listed Dr. Scheirton as the person we should send our stuff to. If I already mailed it to Dr. Scheirton, should I resend it or maybe send an email to ensure Dr. Padilla gets it? I guess they always seem to be ontop of it so maybe I shouldnt worry....

About finding a syllubus, I had to email my old professor to get one so that may be a way to get it.

Hey are any campus based students on the roommate list? Did you just email CU? Do they email the list out to everyone? I guess IM just wondering how it works. My fiance hasnt found a job in Omaha so we are thinking he will stay here and I figured having a roommate would be the least expensive way to live in Omaha....Thanks!